shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it wrong to bring a beer while your kids trick or treat?

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
I've noticed here in Colorado that a lot of dads will carry a bottle of beer while they socialize with the other parents or the moms will have a plastic cup of wine or something. Do you think that's awful? I've had a glass of wine before we went out but never carried one with me. What are your thoughts? Ok or not?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Is it wrong to bring a beer while your kids trick or tre

random_thought|1446220307|3943837 said:
... or the moms will have a plastic cup of wine ... ?

WINE from a PLASTIC cup?
Sacrilege! :knockout:

Seriously, if you behave I think it's fine, except I believe drinking in public is illegal in my state.
If you get drunk and don't behave I think it's bad.

Like many things it's the few bozos who ruin it for the rest of us.

I often sit on my front porch and sip wine while playing my guitar ... often neighbors bring over a bottle, and may be a guitar, and join me. :clap:

Q

Queenie60

Personally I feel it would be okay however nothing seems to be politically correct any longer. I'm sure that some parents will feel it's okay and some will kick you to the wolves! :naughty: I would have it before and after, and skip the carrying around.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No, its genius.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't think it's awful, I think it's ill-advised. If an adult in charge of a child or group of children is taking them out on a dark night trick or treating and that adult is impaired in any way by alcohol, it's pretty darn irresponsible.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock

I had never heard of anyone doing this until a coworker told me that she's planning on taking a coffee with Bailey's when she brings her kids out.

She lives in a small town and apparently it turns into a bit of a community party.

I think it's OK if you keep it to a drink or two and pay attention to the kids.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

gotta admit I have done it...i have put beer in a insulated coffee cup while taking my kids out....so i am gonna say no its not wrong lol...

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think a drink is fine. In fact at one neighborhood where they do Halloween BIG, sit was traditional someone used to host a table serving cider, and if you were a grownup you could have the cider plain or spiked. It was considered a conivial thing to do. Now that I think about that, wonder how they got away with that, as the street was blocked off so no thru traffic, so there were police around ( guess they looked the other way?). They were in paper cups.

I haven't gone trick or treating for years so I don't know if they still do that. I am hoping so because I am going this year and we are on foot.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

There are certain 'things' that make me feel my age and people with a cup of something permanently attached to their hands NO MATTER WHAT they are doing, or where they are, is one of them. When I got my first 'professional' job, no one would dream of eating while working. You had lunch at some point and that was that. No one kept a continuous beverage going. I had one job that included constant meetings with the other project managers, lawyers, planners, consultants and I was usually the only one at the table without a Starbucks cup in front of me.

I used to crack up and think: Rolling IV stand, would THAT be the ultimate????

Sometimes I wonder if this is one of the constellation of reasons the US is an obese, diabetic nation: Must be eating and/or drinking constantly, no matter if you are at home or at work or walking somewhere, etc. I was thin during my youth and I did not snack, I did not eat at work or at school, I never carried food or drink around with me.

People roaming the streets in my 'hood with a beer or the red party cup? My first reaction to that would be "Aw, that's cute, you miss college!"

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't see anything wrong with it. Trick or Treating in our community is from 4-6, well before it's dark. We live in a neighborhood with something like 1k houses in it, so there's no need to drive. My husband usually sits on the porch with his beer, passing out candy. Last year it was so cold, windy, and snowy while I tried to take our daughter trick or treating that we only made it to 2 houses before coming back home! There's no way I could've carried a beverage and managed a 2.5 year old without spilling, ha!

Really the only thing I'd be worried about is people dropping glass beer bottles on sidewalks or driveways. Obviously that would not make for a safe environment for kiddies. But a beer over the course of what, an hour of trick or treating? Eh.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

No, it's not wrong. For us, trick or treating is as much of a social event with our adult friends as it is for our kids. We stop at many of the houses of our friends and neighbors and we might have a beer of two along the way. What's the big deal? Why should kids have all the fun? There are lots of events, activities, etc. that are geared towards children that still serve alcohol.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1446229035|3943888 said:
I don't see anything wrong with it. Trick or Treating in our community is from 4-6, well before it's dark. We live in a neighborhood with something like 1k houses in it, so there's no need to drive. My husband usually sits on the porch with his beer, passing out candy. Last year it was so cold, windy, and snowy while I tried to take our daughter trick or treating that we only made it to 2 houses before coming back home! There's no way I could've carried a beverage and managed a 2.5 year old without spilling, ha!

Really the only thing I'd be worried about is people dropping glass beer bottles on sidewalks or driveways. Obviously that would not make for a safe environment for kiddies. But a beer over the course of what, an hour of trick or treating? Eh.

Monnie, if it's cold tomorrow night your hubster could have an Irish coffee? (Decaf :lol: )

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1446230272|3943898 said:
No, it's not wrong. For us, trick or treating is as much of a social event with our adult friends as it is for our kids. We stop at many of the houses of our friends and neighbors and we might have a beer of two along the way. What's the big deal? Why should kids have all the fun? There are lots of events, activities, etc. that are geared towards children that still serve alcohol.

Most of the pics I have of neighborhood GTGs when I was a kid show all our moms with cocktails ( usually daiquiris) and half of them were having a cigarette too! Unless it was a dinner party, no dads in the pics. The afternoon drink was what got most of them through a given day although all of us kids were roaming the neighborhood and then some on our bikes. You were only in the house if you were sick. (California, so good weather year round.) You never had parents trick or treating with the kids, they were at home probably having a beer or a drink :lol:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I'm curious - are there really people who think that walking around with a beer during trick or treating is awful??? I can think of a lot of awful things in this world and this i definitely not one of them.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am drunk on one beer and I am not exaggerating. For me, it would be very wrong.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

azstonie|1446234349|3943929 said:
monarch64|1446229035|3943888 said:

Monnie, if it's cold tomorrow night your hubster could have an Irish coffee? (Decaf :lol: )

LOL! He drinks one of those on Sunday mornings sometimes, so I will make the suggestion!

I am going to keep an eye out for Halloween public drinkers this year. I've never noticed it before! Maybe the dads carry around beers, but the moms are concealing their vino in Starbucks cups or "grown-up sippy cups?" This thread is giving me ideas. :naughty:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I make killer buttermilk waffles, bring him along with you on Sunday and your hubs can make the Irish Coffees!!

This month I spent $2750 at the vet. If I have to go back in November, I'm showing up with a Super Squeezer full of Crystal Head vodka :lol:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

azstonie|1446239355|3943967 said:
I make killer buttermilk waffles, bring him along with you on Sunday and your hubs can make the Irish Coffees!!

This month I spent $2750 at the vet. If I have to go back in November, I'm showing up with a Super Squeezer full of Crystal Head vodka :lol:

Oh, wow, that's a lot of bling money! Pets are warmer and fuzzier than diamonds, though, so I guess that's the silver lining.

What is a Super Squeezer??? :think:

Wish you lived next door--those waffles sound good and hubs loves any occasion to put his old bartending skills to use. He does a really good Bloody Mary, too! We'd be wasted by noon. :lol:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Super squeezers, 1990s, plastic cups, really tall, 30 ounces, with a lid and built in straw, kinda spill proof. Most people used them for water or soft drinks. In New Orleans they were used for mixed drinks and you got them at the drive thru liquor store!!! Wheeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I believe it's called Walk-tails

And I think it's ridiculous. If you can't put the booze down long enough to follow trick or treating kids, you have a drinking problem.

But then, I'm very conservative when it comes to drinking

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock

azstonie|1446239355|3943967 said:

Boo vet bills, but on a more entertaining note, is that the vodka in the skull? I've been wanting to try that, but it's expensive and I wasn't sure if it was a gimmick.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah I think it is poor judgment. No need to be drinking alcohol in public while walking and trick or treating with your kids. Can't you wait till you get home for that? Maybe I am showing my age but if you cannot put the drink down long enough to enjoy some time with your children I think there might be a bigger problem. Not to mention what type of example you might be setting for your children that mom and dad cannot enjoy time with the kids without alcohol being involved. Just saying.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't know that it's "wrong" (assuming it's allowed legally) but I wouldn't like it...

And if it was my husband doing that I'd hate it...

But like Gypsy I am very conservative when it comes to drinking.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Interesting responses. I think that it's fine if you don't think that it's appropriate, but to label/judge anyone with a beer as having a "drinking problem" is pretty harsh.
Halloween in our neighborhood is a series of houses that "entertain" over the course of trick or treating. Some houses offer dinner (chili, pizza, chicken nuggets, etc.), bottled water, and yes, beer. The children and parents walk, trick or treat, eat/drink, and socialize and it's a fun event for everyone. It never occurred to me that others might judge and assume that we all have a drinking problem because we can't put down a beer long enough to go trick or treating. I'm not concerned that having a beer might send them some sort of negative message - all of their Halloween costumes have been handmade (by me) and I'm sure that they will have fond memories of their experiences.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

In my old neighborhood some dads would drag around coolers of beers in wagons. It never seemed right to me. Binge drinking when you are TOT with your children seemed irresponsible. Plus most places do have open container laws.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It doesn't seem appropriate to me, why not just wait until trick or treating is over? I guess I just don't feel that drinking during the few hours of trick or treating with little kids is necessary. I just enjoyed being with my kids and seeing how much fun they were having was enough for me. But I stopped drinking when my first child was born 26 years ago, and one reason was because I wasn't comfortable being impaired while taking care of small children. It just didn't feel right to me and I didn't want to have alcohol in my system if there was an emergency.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't think it indicates a "drinking problem," but I do wonder about the message it sends the kids - that being with out with the kids isn't enough? That it's not possible for adults to have a good time without a drink in their hands? But - I have to admit that it's been a long time since I put on any sort of a halloween costume. ;))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I could name any number of family events, activities, etc. where absolutely no alcohol is involved. Just because I have an occasional cocktail with friends doesn't mean that I can't have fun unless I have a drink in my hand and I'm not the least bit concerned that that's the "message" that I might be sending my kids. Again, if someone chooses not to drink, that's perfectly fine with me, but that doesn't mean the rest of us should be labeled (and judged) as having a problem with alcohol.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm not a fan either because I also thinks it sends the wrong message to kids.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Maybe it's not so much the message we're sending just to our own kids, but the message we're sending to all the kids that are out trick or treating. If kids constantly see every adult they cross walking around w/alcohol in their hands, to me that sends the message it's ok, that's what we do as adults-we drink. Everywhere. And all I see everywhere nowadays is how alcohol is so much worse than pot or any other drug, so we're going to just treat it as no big deal? Can't do it around here, but were it legal, I'd think "really? you can't just enjoy taking your kids out for an hour, you've got to drink while you do it?" It's no different to me than when people smoke during certain things. It's not the same as having a block party or having a bbq in your backyard. When you're out in public, and especially when there are so many kids around, vehicles, costumes etc, it just makes sense to not take a chance to inhibit your responses in any way. Yeah yeah yeah one drink isn't going to kill you one drink isn't going to impair you--but we all know there are different factors that change that. And, you're still responsible for your kids, and responsible for being on the look out for other people's kids.

ETA I'm very conservative when it comes to drinking/drugs, if'n ya'll hadn't noticed in my time here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results