shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it worth it ??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

m2001

Rough_Rock
Found this diamond (.5 c) on a website for $750. They are charging extra $200 to set it in a pendant with 16 inch 18k gold chain. Is it worth paying $200 for the setting or will be cheaper getting it done at a local jeweller..

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
m2001:

Welcome to Pricescope! Before you buy a .5 carat diamond for that price I would definitely get more information about it. Is it certified? What is the color/clarity/cut? $750 sounds a little too good to be true for a quality half carat diamond.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey M2001~

Mega dittos to Lesley on this one Bud. Definitely get more info on the diamond. Price sounds too good to be true for a quality .5 carat diamond. Check color and clarity ratings. If it's Certed, get that info too.

$200 is questionable. Are you just getting the pendant for that price, or does that include the chain as well?

You definitely need to ask a few more questions before making this purchase.
2.gif

Well, forget the second question. I just saw 18K chain included in your original post. LOL What a ditz I can be sometimes.
rolleyes.gif

m2001

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply.

Here's the diamond info ...

EGL Certified (Mini-Cert)

EGL number laser inscribed on the Girdle of the diamond.

Cut & Shape : Round Brilliant
Carat Weight : 0.51 Cts. Flour: None
Color Grade : I
Clarity Grade: SI1

Graining: Nil

Dimensions: 5.01 - 4.94 x 3.23 mm.
Total Depth: 64.7 %
Crown Height: 15%
Table Width: 59%
Pavillion Depth: 44%

Gridle: SLightly Thick, Faceted

Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Culet : None

The loose diamond cost is $780

With the pendant and chain its $980..

Any suggestions ... I'm new to diamond buying.

m2001

Rough_Rock
C'mon.. someone out there must have some good advice for me..

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
The cut is not so great. 64.7 is too deep.

If you are new to buying diamonds, I suggest you read the tutorial and experiment with the Cut Adviser, both linked to this site. Good luck.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
For $780 it's worth a shot - as long as they have a decent return policy if the thing turns out to be a real dog.

69gm

Shiny_Rock
personally i stay away from EGL certified diamonds. too much controversy. stick to the tried and true GIA/AGSL certs. much more reliable.

have you tried plugging in your numbers into pricescope? it might spit out to you some similar diamonds and their prices to give you a better idea.

69gm

Shiny_Rock
i plugged the numbers into the HCA...came out to 5.8, "Good - Only if price is your main criterion". nice way of saying it's probably not too good.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
It's a deep cut, more like a Maul store diamond. Because of the depth, the diameter is smaller than a well cut diamond, so it won't look like .5 carat. Also, EGL is not as strict or consistent in grading as AGS or GIA. Better EGL Certs are from the USA, and preferably LA. That I, SI1, could actually be a J or even K, SI2/I1. You wouldn't really know for sure until you got it checked out.

Also, I checked the Cut Advisor. Leonid, one of the experts on the forum, posted formulas to convert % into angle degrees. While the calculations are not completely accurate, they are close. The Cut Adviser says the "Crown angle is too steep and this diamond should not be considered for purchase."

I would suggest you read through the Tutorial and learn so you can make in informed buying decision.
read.gif
It's great you found this forum. You've taken a step in the right direction.
2.gif

m2001

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all that replies...

One thing is for sure, I'll buy GIA certified diamond only.

Here's some quote that I got from one of the site..

Cts Lab Shp Clr Clar Total$ Dep Tbl Dim Fluor Pol Sym
.46 GIA RD H I1 646 61.8 58 4.95x4.99x3.07 None VG G

.47 GIA RD G SI2 677 63 60 4.87x4.90x3.12 None G V

.50 GIA RD G I1 768 59.1 62 5.15x5.20x3.06 None G G

Which one should I go for..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results