shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it worth it to buy an ideal scope kit?

psengineer

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

Is it worth it to buy an ideal scope kit? I really like some of the diamonds offered by JA that are in my budget range.
(looking for a 1.25-1.75c diamond for around 10k-20k with settings). Unfortunately, JA told me that they don't do ideal scope for all the ones I am interested in (like this one: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.52-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-811718 - but apparently only the ones w/ a sign on the bottom right can be imaged. ).
Does anyone have any recommendation on whether I should buy an ideal scope & just buy the loose diamond to inspect myself & return to have it set if I like it? Is it worth the time/effort?

While we are on that topic, does anyone have any recommendations for something in the VS1+ in the colorless ranges (F-D) 1.25-1.75c? I have my proposal planned out in mid Feb. and have been looking for rings for the past few months.

Thanks!

Downsy

Shiny_Rock
I am not able to help you with the ideal scope question, but I can attest to the fact that the photos that JA takes of their stones has a hazy background compared to the photos on their site from virtual stock diamonds. (The virtual stock ones seem to have clearer photos.) I ordered one diamond from JA that was from their stock and photo quality made the diamond look blurry and dark and I ordered one from virtual stock with a crisp, clear photo. Both diamonds were beautiful - so don't be caught off guard by those JA photos that look "off". The JA diamonds have the little butterfly logo on the bottom right of the photo/video.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
An ASET scope would be better IMO.

I had a jeweler tell me to just get ping pong ball cut it in half drill a hole on top paint the inside red and you basically have yourself an idealscope. You can attach it to your phones camera and it works remarkably well.

You do need to get a move on things if you want to propose mid Feb. Valentine's Day is a busy time of year so you might face unexpected delays. And if the diamond is overseas you could face further delays. Maybe it's in Hong Kong and they observe Chinese New Years which I think is also in Feb.

Do you have a setting chosen? Figuring out that cost can help us see how much is left of your budget and find you a diamond in your price range.

psengineer

Rough_Rock
I am waiting on idealscope images for 3 diamonds currently. 2 @1.25c (around 10-11k ) 1 @1.30c (around 16k) There is a 1.32 around 15k also (the one i posted above ) that I am considering.
My max budget is around 20k (setting+diamond).
I am only going for platinum settings. Currently like the http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/channel-set/platinum-bow-tie-channel-set-round-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring--item-812 . I initially wanted something simple w/ just a solitaire, but GF mentioned that it may be too plain for her liking. So I am trying to find something with a bit more uniqueness and still looks elegant. (my gf is petite)
Any thoughts/ recommendations would be appreciated

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results