shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it worth going up 10 points?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will I see much of a size difference if I go from .72ct to .83?

I have decided I want to change my ring setting from platinum to yellow gold. I have also decided to go from an I to an H but I''m not sure its really worth it size wise.

I''m not really in a position to pay extra to hit the magical one carat yet but I really want to change my setting and hopefully go up a colour grade in the process.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
maisie, you seem unsatisfied with your ring no matter what you do. IIRC, you changed it from a halo at the last minute, to a solitaire, then you traded that one in almost immediately. Are you sure that something else isn't going on? If you can't afford the size you want, why not try to enjoy this current ring until such time that you can get the size you want...though I fear that once at the 1ct mark, you will want bigger still...? Not trying to be unkind, just wondering if there isn't something else at play here...?

ETA: And no, I dont really think it's worth going to the bother of trading in a stone for a 0.10 increase as you might not even see the difference.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually there isn''t anything else going on here. I can''t imagine what you mean at all.

I want to change from Platinum because I don''t like the patina. I wore a yellow gold ring for 5 years before I got platinum and now I would like to go back to gold.

I live in the UK and its a long way to send my ring back to WF just to change the setting. I don''t want to use another company so I thought I could perhaps upgrade a little bit while it was over there being reset.

And yes you are right - I won''t stop once I reach a carat.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm...yeah, if it was my ring, I'd leave it be and change the setting and the diamond when I could afford to hit the 1 carat mark. I doubt the .10 size jump would be noticeable enough to have to deal with sending it back to WF and getting a new setting. Seems like a lot of $ and bother for not much difference.

Is SG right? Do you think maybe you're just not happy with the ring, period and you want a different shape/setting/etc.? Or maybe it's just your fun project, and there's nothing wrong with that! I always like to have a little something going on, whether it's a saving for a new bag/clothes/jewelry/whatever...I know shopping probably shouldn't be one of my hobbies, but it definitely is!
3.gif

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I would not change the stone, but that is just me. If you want yellow gold, go for it (coming for a YG lover). As far as the .10 pts: I went from a .4 to a .7 and I''m already experiencing diamond shrinkage! I remember someone saying that the jump in sizes were less noticeable as you go bigger in carat weight.

Good luck Maisie!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
There isn''t anything more to this than me wanting to go back to yellow gold! I should have stuck with it in the first place and not tried platinum.

We are renewing our wedding vows soon and I don''t want to buy a platinum wedding band, I would rather get yellow gold but I can''t/won''t wear the two different metals together!

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
Maisie-

Didn''t you also say that the .10 upgrade would also improve the color? Is this an expensive upgrade? If the price increase isn''t great, then I think you should suit yourself. I think that the combination of the color change in the setting with the slight upgrades in color and size sound like they are going to make you happier. If that''s all it takes, I say go for it!
21.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes the upgrade would take me from an I to an H.

I am slightly more colour sensitive than I thought. I suppose the colour difference won''t be worth it either?

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure that I would change the stone for such a minimal difference, but that is my opinion
2.gif

As for the setting...I say change it to YG if that is what you want to do. Personally, I do not like platinum for the very same reason, my wedding set is YG and my anniversary ring is WG. Change it...I cannot remember what you have now (pics...hint, hint), but I look forward to seeing what you get!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the whiteflash legato sleek line setting

shell72.jpg

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, that is a pretty one...what did you want to change it to?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure, maybe a three stone ring with sapphires either side.... I definitely want yellow gold though...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie, I can understand wanting to change settings and going up to H color, but I wouldn''t do it until you can go over a carat. You''re going to lose some money giving up a platinum setting, and why get a new yellow gold setting when you might have to change it again if you go up to a carat later? I''d just see if you can have that shank gold plated until you can get a larger stone since you''d want it to match your new band. These setting changes will add up and could be going toward the new stone.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t go up 10points. 30 points made a difference to me, I would wait to do the 1 carat. hey Maisie, good to see ya!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me it''s not worth it. Love the idea of having it dipped in yellow gold for now. Then when you can afford the one carat, go for it. How is your job going??
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 8:00:35 PM
Author: Maisie
Actually there isn''t anything else going on here. I can''t imagine what you mean at all.

I want to change from Platinum because I don''t like the patina. I wore a yellow gold ring for 5 years before I got platinum and now I would like to go back to gold.

I live in the UK and its a long way to send my ring back to WF just to change the setting. I don''t want to use another company so I thought I could perhaps upgrade a little bit while it was over there being reset.

And yes you are right - I won''t stop once I reach a carat.
Honey, there is absolutely nothing wrong with continuing to change your jewelry. It''s ok that you change your mind, and it''s not indicative of some ''deeper problem'' all the time. LOL. Don''t apologize for wanting to indulge variety.
9.gif

DS''s advice is really sound. It''s not really worth it to change the setting when the stone will likely fit your existing setting, and she''s right that it''s not really worthwhile to go with a new setting until you''re in a more final size place. So, I''d agree with her - get the platinum setting yellow plated, and keep socking away pennies toward your next acquisition!

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
maisie--
i don''t think there''s anything wrong with wanting to change your setting back to yellow gold. i saw a lovely Tiffany''s ring on Signed Pieces that has a 1.12 ct rb with two sapphires on either side, set in yellow gold, that reminded me of you. i love yellow gold with colored stones for some reason...

as for whether or not a .10 ct size difference and an I to H would be worth it, are we talking about small change or something more substantial? i think you should ask the folks at WF whether the difference would be noticeable. maybe some side-by-side comparison photos? my guess would be no. i can see why you might want to do a small upgrade on the stone while it''s in texas for a new setting, but i don''t know if it would be worth it unless you went a little bit bigger (which would probably mean a price jump).

gold plating the platinum ring might be a good option for now. it''s really such a beautiful ring, such clean lines, it''s really one of my favorite settings. i agree with the others that all this switching around might be more expensive than saving up for that 1 ct+ upgrade a few years down the road! my solution to upgrade fever has been to look for a 2ctw eternity band to stave off the little green monster for 8 or so more years until we can buy a 1.5ct+. maybe you should focus on the Big Upgrade because it doesn''t sound like a .10ct and 1 color grade change would be worth it. if you gold plate your legato, you could have it done at home rather than shipping it to WF, right?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, that makes total sense, Maisie-I remember your original set was YG too, right? I didn''t really think anything deeper was going on except for maybe you were over a round brilliant solitaire! (Just wanted to clarify!)

And I think plating your setting with yellow gold is a great idea! That probably wouldn''t be super expensive and then you could save the $ and put it towards that 1 carater!

Plus, I think it''s been mentioned around here that yellow gold can help make diamonds appear whiter, so that might make you happier about the color of the diamond, too! Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d wait to change everything until you can get up to .95 or larger. It costs so much money to change settings and you really want to make it worth it.

If you were able to change the diamond and keep the same setting than for some people that extra .10 might be worth it if only as a "mind clean" thing.

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Maisie

I just wanted to say do whatever the hell makes you happy! You know probably better than anyone else on this forum, that life is for living and you should take every opportunity that makes you happy. From what I have seen on here you are a very dedicated wife and mother and you should do stuff for yourself whenever you can.

A close friend of mine underwent an operation on recently discovered breast cancer yesterday. Her own mother died in her 50''s from this disease and my friend has always had a live for today attitude. She loves jewellry and has bought close to 100 rings in the last 6 years. How glad is she that has done what has make her happy?

I say go for it Maisie, life is far too short to not do what makes up happy.

Just make sure you show us when you get the new stuff and I personally can''t wait to see all of your upgrades, especially since my engagement ring is a one ring deal as far as my F1 is concerned - I can live my upgrades through yours!

36.gif

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 7:39:16 PM
Author:Maisie
Will I see much of a size difference if I go from .72ct to .83?

I have decided I want to change my ring setting from platinum to yellow gold. I have also decided to go from an I to an H but I''m not sure its really worth it size wise.

I''m not really in a position to pay extra to hit the magical one carat yet but I really want to change my setting and hopefully go up a colour grade in the process.
I say go for it. I have many reasons for saying this. One of them is that I believe in grabbing happiness wherever you can. Take what you can afford and run with it.

I also think that it will make a difference for a smalll cost. It might keep you going for a few years longer till you hit the next benchmark!

Also it will make as much difference as if we were to be told that our diamonds were going to be taken back a color and to loose 10 points!!!! Most of us would think that it would make a difference.

I think people spend and waste money on all sorts of junk and frivolity. This is a worthy cause!!!!
11.gif
36.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 11:14:51 PM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 10/31/2007 8:00:35 PM
Author: Maisie
Actually there isn't anything else going on here. I can't imagine what you mean at all.

I want to change from Platinum because I don't like the patina. I wore a yellow gold ring for 5 years before I got platinum and now I would like to go back to gold.

I live in the UK and its a long way to send my ring back to WF just to change the setting. I don't want to use another company so I thought I could perhaps upgrade a little bit while it was over there being reset.

And yes you are right - I won't stop once I reach a carat.
Honey, there is absolutely nothing wrong with continuing to change your jewelry. It's ok that you change your mind, and it's not indicative of some 'deeper problem' all the time. LOL. Don't apologize for wanting to indulge variety.
9.gif

DS's advice is really sound. It's not really worth it to change the setting when the stone will likely fit your existing setting, and she's right that it's not really worthwhile to go with a new setting until you're in a more final size place. So, I'd agree with her - get the platinum setting yellow plated, and keep socking away pennies toward your next acquisition!

Variety is exactly what I want. Until I reach my end carat size - (which for me living in England will probably be around a carat and a half - nobody would believe it was real if it was any bigger!) - I will try different settings and ideas..... Its supposed to be about fun isn't it?
1.gif
I'm not in a hurry to reach the final diamond for a while!

I have formulated a plan! I have spoken to Whiteflash today and set the wheels in motion. I won't give anything away until the ring is finished!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results