shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it worth anything

Furiouspez

Rough_Rock
Bought this today out the thrift store (charity shop) but my mum is swearing to me it's worth hundreds I dont think it is any1 here help us out 20191228_134003_HDR.jpg 20191228_134854_HDR.jpg 20191228_134901_HDR.jpg 20191228_134148_HDR.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hard to evaluate pearls against a black backgournd. Please photograph them against a white background (a paper towel will do nicely), without flash, natural light if possible.

Also a few questions:
1. Are there any marks on the metal/clasp? 14K, or 585 or 750 etc.
2. Rub 2 of the pearls together gently, or rub one of the pearls agaisnt the edge of your front tooth. Gritty = probably real nacre, but if they glide smoothly probably imitation pearls.
3. If you own a 10x loupe, examine the surface of the pearls. Real nacre looks smooth at 10x magnification while imitation pearls look more coarse.

If real gold and genuine pearls, then there is real value-- especially because of the gold.
If base metal and imitation pearls, then just a pretty piece of costume jewelry.

I just want to add that a jeweler's loupe is not costly and is a nice thing to have in your purse if one frequents thrift stores!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most secondhand shops do check for metal hallmarks and price items accordingly. As you didn't state the chain is hallmarked with a gold stamp I would presume the chain is gold-filled. Based on the photos and lack of info, it is impossible to guess as to the pearl type or quality.

It is an attractive necklace and likely worth what you paid for it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Regardless of value
its very pretty, i hope you wear it

you know Queen Alexandra of the United kingdom (the wife of Queen Victoria's son Edward V11) used to wear real and fake pearls together, so don't dismiss this lovelly necklase if they turn out to be imitation pearls

but here's hoping they are real and you scored a real bargain

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results