shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it weird to say "heavy" hors d''oeuvres on invite?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
I was hoping to get some opinions. For the welcome party on the night before our wedding, we are having hor d''oeuvres and the time of the event is 7-9pm. Since this is around dinner time, we are going to have tons of hor d''oeuvres so that it is enough to fill everyone. It will be a lot of food, but it is not a sit down dinner since it is only a 2 hour event and we want to encourage lots of mingling.

So...how do I word this on the invitation so that people know that it is not necessary to eat before the event? I want them to know there will be lots of food there (think mini gourmet burgers, mini pizzas, cute gazpacho shooters...)

I thought about saying "Wine and heavy hor d''oeuvres will be served" but i''m not sure if heavy sounds weird? Thanks so much for your input!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I think that is a term used in catering and it definitely gets the point across. If I think heavy stuff I know I will get filled up. Getting hungry!!!

sera

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea if "heavy" should be included or not. If I were a guest it seems it would sure be helpful to know and something I would want to know, but I don't know that it's appropriate to put it. It doesn't sound weird to me because I know what that means; if someone doesn't know they may think, "What the heck do they mean heavy?" Though, I would think they could surmise the meaning.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Sheesh, if you can spell it correctly, I give you a green light. It''s one word I have to dictionary.com no matter how many times I''ve seen it or written it. That hor''d makes me feel incompetent.

Perhaps the word "plentiful". I don''t know why the word heavy seems strange to me...as opposed to light. Anyone have a the..the...thesaurus handy??

Thanks, sera and diamondfan. I am glad you guys don''t think it''s weird. I agree that it is useful info that guests should know. Something about the word "heavy" just seems...I dont know, unclassy or something!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think "heavy" sounds strange, but I just don''t know anything about catering terminology, so it''s probably just me. I would, however, understand what you mean by it.

Date: 4/28/2008 12:55:29 AM
Author: miraclesrule
Sheesh, if you can spell it correctly, I give you a green light. It''s one word I have to dictionary.com no matter how many times I''ve seen it or written it. That hor''d makes me feel incompetent.

Perhaps the word ''plentiful''. I don''t know why the word heavy seems strange to me...as opposed to light. Anyone have a the..the...thesaurus handy??
Haha, don''t worry, I have to think long and hard about spelling that word.

And that is exactly what I was worried about! That heavy is just an odd word! Hmm, plentiful is cute! Thank you very much for the suggestion
1.gif

Date: 4/28/2008 12:56:12 AM
Author: Haven
I think ''heavy'' sounds strange, but I just don''t know anything about catering terminology, so it''s probably just me. I would, however, understand what you mean by it.
Haven, that''s my worry too. The word just doesn''t sit elegantly with me, especially in print! Any ideas on another way to get that same point acorss?

Miraclesue suggested "plentiful" - what about abundant? Haha...not sure if that sounds silly :)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about substantial?! or extensive?

I mean, I am not nit picky. I have seen invites say light hors d''oeuvres, so what are you supposed to say when there will be tons and it will become more like a tasting meal? tapas type meal? You want to get across that this is going to be their meal, even if it is not a sit down. I am sure the caterer can come up with something, but honestly, the wording makes sense and does not bother me.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I think the word you''re looking for is "tapas"

2.gif

Just kidding - sounds yummy though
18.gif

thanks rockzilla. I wish there was a word like tapas that I could use!

sera

Ideal_Rock
I have seen "light" hors d''oeuvres before. Maybe if it doesn''t say light it''s inferred to be heavy?
33.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
According to the thesaurus on dictionary.com...when entering plentiful

Heavy did come up, so it wouldn''t be strange. "Ample" also came up, so that could be an alternative.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Bountiful was another choice. That sort of sounds ... I dunno know...bountiful.
11.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would honestly just write "cocktails and hors d''ouvres will be served" and leave it at that.

I know you want your guests to know that you''re serving a lot of food, but (for once in my life) I cannot think of the right word to express what you''re trying to say. Everything just sounds a bit awkward to me--plentiful, heavy, etc.

Have you asked your caterer for suggestions? You could even try and call your stationer, as I''m sure he''s seen enough invitations to have some good ideas.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I have to go with diamondfan and Haven on this one. Cocktails and the H''d sounds fine to me.
I guess it just wouldn''t be right to say "expensive overpriced Hor''d" ::::kidding:::::

Thanks, guys. I actually did check with my caterer and stationer and they were stumped too!

What if I just put hor d''s on the invitation, but I would pass it around word of mouth, and also put in a blurb in the welcome letter (to go with the welcome baskets) to get the point acorss that there will be a lot of food :) I just don''t want people to eat a ton before hand, then show up not that hungry, and not eat all the food at the party.

Thanks for everyone''s input! :)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hors d''oevre supper?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ROLMAO @ miracles! I agree, if you can spell it go for it. I'm not loving the heavy either.

"cocktails and hors d'ouvres will be served" is the best I think.

It sounds better than Hearty Cocktail Reception (best I could come up with) which sounds like a convention of drunk lumberjacks sneering at appletinis.

hehhehe.. just saw the expensive and overpriced bit.
9.gif
SO true!!

Date: 4/28/2008 2:30:04 AM
Author: Gypsy
ROLMAO @ miracles! I agree, if you can spell it go for it.

It sounds better than Hearty Cocktail Reception (best I could come up with) which sounds like a convention of convention of drunk lumberjacks sneering at appletinis.
Haha, love that one Gypsy
emwink.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Terrible isn''t it???

Maybe I should say "bring your lumberjack appetite" so that people know there will be a lot of food. That is pretty subtle and won''t totally confuse everyone...right?

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
how about "a heck of a lot of hors d’ oeuvres"

or

oodles of hors d’ oeuvres

or

oceans of hors d’ oeuvres

lol!

Sassee

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/28/2008 12:58:54 AM
Author: diamondfan
How about substantial?! or extensive?

I mean, I am not nit picky. I have seen invites say light hors d''oeuvres, so what are you supposed to say when there will be tons and it will become more like a tasting meal? tapas type meal? You want to get across that this is going to be their meal, even if it is not a sit down. I am sure the caterer can come up with something, but honestly, the wording makes sense and does not bother me.
I would definitely go with substantial.

I know that most caterers in Australia would use the term "substantial canapes" (or hors d''ouevres) to explain such a menu. (For example mini noodle boxes or bowls of risotto that are smaller in scale or the mini gourmet burgers/pizzas that you are referring too).

Sounds delish by the way ;-)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t put the word heavy on the invites either. I''d be like
33.gif
if I got an invite saying that. I think it''s fine just putting cocktails and hors d''oeuvres.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the welcome letter you could say, soemthing like, looking forward to seeing you at blank and come with your appetite, we have an amazing array of delicious hors for you...it can be more casual, a letter in a welcome bag, so that is fine...

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
I like what diamondfan suggested......amazing array of delicious hors d'' oeuvres.....I think that sounds very nice and to the point and best of all. FUN!

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
What about supper or dinner hor d''oeuvre style?

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I think ''cocktails & Hor''d being served'' would be fine on the invite and just pass it around to word of mouth that there will be plenty of food so people can eat the hor''d.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think either Haven''s wording, or you could simply say, "Please join us for a cocktails and an hors d''ouvres buffet afterwards" Something like that? To me, "buffet" indicates that it will be plentiful because buffets usually are copious amounts of food.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results