shape
carat
color
clarity

is it weird to NOT be a fan of solitaires?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Am I the only one???

Sometimes i see a solitaire and think its so pretty and simple and classic. Then, I see variation of the solitaire w/ a pave band or unique basket and I am intrigued.

So, everyitime I am at a jeweler, I try one on. I went to tiffany to try on thier signature solitaire and did not think i flattered my hand. I have a friend w/ a tiffany solitaire and I never would have known it was from tiffany if she had not told me!

Anyway, i am visually drawn to rings w/ a halo. My FF is not a huge fan of them, but i think its b/c he is not accustomed to seeing them.

Part of me likes the simplicity and classic look of a solitare, but I am not drawn to it when its on me. Maybe I have not found the right one (I am open to suggestions). The crazy thinkg is, by the time we are actaully ready to buy the ring, I may want the solitarie (as I tend to change my mind a lot..), but right now, not so much...

cl2ysta1

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 10:11:51 PM
Author:mintve
Am I the only one???

Sometimes i see a solitaire and think its so pretty and simple and classic. Then, I see variation of the solitaire w/ a pave band or unique basket and I am intrigued.

So, everyitime I am at a jeweler, I try one on. I went to tiffany to try on thier signature solitaire and did not think i flattered my hand. I have a friend w/ a tiffany solitaire and I never would have known it was from tiffany if she had not told me!

Anyway, i am visually drawn to rings w/ a halo. My FF is not a huge fan of them, but i think its b/c he is not accustomed to seeing them.

Part of me likes the simplicity and classic look of a solitare, but I am not drawn to it when its on me. Maybe I have not found the right one (I am open to suggestions). The crazy thinkg is, by the time we are actaully ready to buy the ring, I may want the solitarie (as I tend to change my mind a lot..), but right now, not so much...
ditto on exactly everything you just said. My ff really liked solitaires with a round. And i disliked both. I love them when people post them, but on me. not so much

Miss Aussie

Rough_Rock
Hello again,

I feel exactly the way you do.. I like solitares on other people but they do not seem to suit me. As discussed in your other thread I am looking at a halo e-ring because they seem to look so much better on my finger. This maybe because i have a 7 1/2 size finger and solitares [in my price range - 1ct] just seem lost on my finger and the halos just look more substantial. I sometimes feel I should get a solitare because it is more timeless and won''t date.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I sometimes ponder the idea b/c i can get a nice stone in a simple setting and upgrade at a later date w/ the halo, etc...but then i think you only get ONE engagement ring and I want it to be perfect. we can always upgrade the wedding setting w/ eternity bands, etc. at a later date

none the less, I feel a bit torn at times. in the meantime, iI have my ideal ring (for now) of a halo w/ baugette shank and a solitaire is on the back burner, just in case I find one I like.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
i''m there with you. i''ve never been drawn to solitaires ,and actually i ended up going with a halo as well! (even though my own FF wasn''t a fan either).

there are some solitaires that i think are very pretty, but most i would never consider for myself. i definitely prefer super thin shanks on them, and if it was coupled with a huge stone (1.5+) i think it might take me into swoon category. but since a "huge" stone isn''t in my future and super thing bands are hard to come by, i went for a style that was more about the ring as a whole, rather than just the center stone.

but i agree that no matter what type of solitaire it is it is always simple and classic and really screams "engagement".

i was trying on rings at a jeweler once and they commented that the RBs in general and specifically the RB solitaires just looked sort of "plunked down" on my finger because of the way it is shaped. maybe yours are shaped differently too and that'' why solitaires don''t suit you
2.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t used to like them as I thought you got more bang for your buck with clusters but recently I have started really liking solitaires. I have a 1/2 ct solitaire pendant and never thought I''d like it but I wear it frequently.

sera

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a fan of a solitaire for myself either. A nice thing about solitaires is that there is versatility with the w-band that can go with it, but it''s just not me.

I do like halos and am considering one. I tried on a Simon G and my ff wasn''t crazy about it because he said it looked too big on my finger. I think if I found the right halo for me, he would like it. If I do go with one, I would like a very small, delicate halo without an edge to it.

It just all comes down to preference... a solitaire or halo or whatever is either you or it''s not. The solitaire will always be a classic no matter what trends come and go, but if it isn''t you, there''s nothing wrong with that.

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
I love the halo and was torn between a halo design and a split shank. Both settings are by Hearts on Fire. My FF chose the split shank one b/c he said that that is what he envisioned as an E-ring on me. He loved them both, but said that the split shank was timeless. I agreed. I loved that halo ring now, but what about in 20 years? If your FF wants the diamond to be the "center of attention," you could always choose a thin pave style setting. My FF didn''t want the halo to take away from my diamond. The sales lady suggested to put another colored stone in the halo setting, which I would love as a right hand ring!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To each his/her own
36.gif
Personally, I like anything DIAMOND! I do love a solitaire...they just scream engagement ring.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
You're not the only one who prefers another style over solitaires--that is the beauty of jewelry, every piece can be beautiful and different, and it will be a reflection of your own personal style.

I originally wanted a halo, but then I couldn't find one with a suitable profile, and after trying on MANY rings I ended up with a solitaire cushion set on an eternity shared-prong band, which is something I NEVER even thought I wanted until a year into the ring searching process. SO--who knows? You may go through several designs you love until you finally end up with the perfect one. Sounds a lot like the process of finding the right man, if you think about it!

(Here's a link to the ring I finally chose. To me, it's the most beautiful ring in the entire world. THAT is what your ring should look like to you! Check out the serious fire shots at the bottom of page 3. Swoon!)

My Ring

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Nope, you are definitely not alone. I love many of the solitaires I see on this site but hate them on myself. I''m going for a halo. Only style I ever liked on my hand.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not a huge solitaire fan. They are classic and simple, and with a gorgeous nice sized stone they are timeless, but they just do not excite me. Nor do I love ultra busy stuff either. I prefer stuff with timeless elegance, but also a little pizazz if that makes sense. That is why there are so many choices out there!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it''s weird at all, and I''m glad to know that there are other people who aren''t thrilled with the idea of a plain solitaire. A few of my friends have them, as does my mother...and while they look beautiful on them, and each of them loves her ring, a Tiffany-esque solitaire would *gasp* be my nightmare ring.

Actually, I don''t really want a traditional engagement ring -- I want something extremely low profile, nothing sticking up or catching on anything. I bash my jewelry around (it''s shameful) and I know I would do something awful to a stone that doesn''t sit really close to my finger, so something more like an eternity band or diamond wedding band is actually my ideal engagement ring. My current favorites are the 5-stone Ritani wedding bands, especially the bezel-set princess with micro-pave, though I first fell in love with the round one, and a gorgeous 5-stone cushion with micro-pave surrounds from Christopher Designs. I''d be concerned about micro-pave around me, though! Also, I feel very strongly about having a simple platinum wedding band, solid and uninterrupted, so I wouldn''t want an e-ring that would look funny with that.

Of course, BF and I aren''t close enough to engagement to worry about this yet...but a girl has to know what she likes when the time comes!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I never liked solitaires either, but I just recently purchased one as an upgrade. I couldn''t afford any extra diamonds after the splurge on my ideal cut diamond. I am married though and wear it with an eternity band. It''s amazing how the supporting cast of my little diamonds in the eternity band do with the star of the show---my diamond. It needs nothing more and nothing less
30.gif

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 11:28:17 PM
Author: Haven
You''re not the only one who prefers another style over solitaires--that is the beauty of jewelry, every piece can be beautiful and different, and it will be a reflection of your own personal style.

I originally wanted a halo, but then I couldn''t find one with a suitable profile, and after trying on MANY rings I ended up with a solitaire cushion set on an eternity shared-prong band, which is something I NEVER even thought I wanted until a year into the ring searching process. SO--who knows? You may go through several designs you love until you finally end up with the perfect one. Sounds a lot like the process of finding the right man, if you think about it!

(Here''s a link to the ring I finally chose. To me, it''s the most beautiful ring in the entire world. THAT is what your ring should look like to you! Check out the serious fire shots at the bottom of page 3. Swoon!)

My Ring
Haven, if your ring is a solitaire then you can count me in as crazy for solitaires!!!!!! Crazy with capital `C`!!!!! For some reason I always imagine a solitaire to have no other sparklies around, and to me that is a little plain. The whole look changes with even some diamond stackers ! I guess I think of the ring as a whole rather than the centre stone as important in itself.

BTW, you look like a lovely couple I can tell, you both look similar which usually makes for a good match imo!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Thats one gorgeous cushion ring
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I don''t think it is weird not to like solitaires at all. My BF suggested a RB solitaire as his favorite and something he thought I would love but when we started to look at settings for an E-ring I was convinced that I wanted a Radiant, Lucinda or an Asscher diamond 3 stone ring but being indecisive as well I filted and floated from design and stones (I then wanted a cushion :razz:) until I finally decided (after about 5 mths of looking) that I do actually in fact adore RB solitaire rings (obviously he knows me better then I know myself). Coming here and seeing the masses of eye candy helps :D in saying that though I still have yet to see a setting in RL that speaks volumes to me :razz:.

I think is has more to do with finding a setting that captures what you want out of a ring I prefer something that rises a little on the band and cradles the side of the stone yet sits fairly low and double claws are a must :razz:. There is a fair amount of scope of what you can do with a solitaire ring.

I think it is really a case of you have not seen something that makes your heart go *pitter patter* but I am sure you will.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 3:12:22 AM
Author: Deelight
Thats one gorgeous cushion ring
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I don''t think it is weird not to like solitaires at all. My BF suggested a RB solitaire as his favorite and something he thought I would love but when we started to look at settings for an E-ring I was convinced that I wanted a Radiant, Lucinda or an Asscher diamond 3 stone ring but being indecisive as well I filted and floated from design and stones (I then wanted a cushion :razz:) until I finally decided (after about 5 mths of looking) that I do actually in fact adore RB solitaire rings (obviously he knows me better then I know myself). Coming here and seeing the masses of eye candy helps :D in saying that though I still have yet to see a setting in RL that speaks volumes to me :razz:.

I think is has more to do with finding a setting that captures what you want out of a ring I prefer something that rises a little on the band and cradles the side of the stone yet sits fairly low and double claws are a must :razz:. There is a fair amount of scope of what you can do with a solitaire ring.

I think it is really a case of you have not seen something that makes your heart go *pitter patter* but I am sure you will.

I think I know what I want. The ring I want , right now, makes me smile when i put it on!!

but, after seeing rings here, it makes me ponder the idea of a solitaire. I just have not found one that speaks to me ;-)

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
yesterday i thought i liked them the best but today i think sidestones are the way to go. the day before that i was really loving the crusty diamond halo look. who knows what will happen tomorrow!
37.gif

togal

Shiny_Rock
This is my newest favorite style. It combines the best of both worlds -- it has the classic
beauty of a solitaire, but has lots of pizzaz. This one is from Birk''s in Canada. It''s by designer
Tony Cavellti. I saw it in person, and it''s stunning.

50_71.jpg

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
I actually found a "solitiare" style I like!!!! The jeweler said its not technically a solitaire b/c of all the details. SHe said its a ''setting'', but there is no halo. Anyway, this photo does not do it justice. It has a lot of the characterisitcs I like. Micro pave, a crown, but not a halo and i can get it w/ an open basket so you can see the bottom of the stone and I can have it so a wb will fit flush :)

fusaro ring 2.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t love solitaires in the traditional sense (one stone, no other bling). But I did like simple settings. Then I started doing research on PS. At the time Lucida style settings were all the rage...I remember Reena''s halo was one of the first (I believe). After people really started blinging up their rings, solitaires looked downright boring!

Then it because bling and halofest, and I began to tire of those. I still think halos are very pretty, and in fact wanted one, but I think I was just blinded by PS bling because it truly is not my style. I went with my first instinct...a very modern style solitaire and I am surprised that I have not tired of it at all. I wear my ring instead of it wearing me. And I''m so laid back in terms of style, I really can''t get away with with much fancy. TGuy really didn''t like halos, and I felt that the ring he gave me should have some representation of what he liked as well...or at least a ring he didn''t call "disgusting."
20.gif

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I liked solitaires when I was young, but at the ripe old age of "over 40", when it came for a reset, I chose a set with lots going on. I do have a solitaire I wear for those occasions where I want to be elegantly understated-LOL.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 9:00:55 AM
Author: belle
yesterday i thought i liked them the best but today i think sidestones are the way to go. the day before that i was really loving the crusty diamond halo look. who knows what will happen tomorrow!
37.gif
I felt that way too. I had a solitare when I was engaged and then switched to side stones when I got married and that fits me best!

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 8:21:55 PM
Author: mintve
I actually found a ''solitiare'' style I like!!!! The jeweler said its not technically a solitaire b/c of all the details. SHe said its a ''setting'', but there is no halo. Anyway, this photo does not do it justice. It has a lot of the characterisitcs I like. Micro pave, a crown, but not a halo and i can get it w/ an open basket so you can see the bottom of the stone and I can have it so a wb will fit flush :)

Where can we see more pictures? That crown of diamonds around the top, it appears that if you look at it straight down, it may have a halo effect.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/1/2007 8:52:48 AM
Author: MoonWater

Date: 10/31/2007 8:21:55 PM
Author: mintve
I actually found a ''solitiare'' style I like!!!! The jeweler said its not technically a solitaire b/c of all the details. SHe said its a ''setting'', but there is no halo. Anyway, this photo does not do it justice. It has a lot of the characterisitcs I like. Micro pave, a crown, but not a halo and i can get it w/ an open basket so you can see the bottom of the stone and I can have it so a wb will fit flush :)

Where can we see more pictures? That crown of diamonds around the top, it appears that if you look at it straight down, it may have a halo effect.
I hope to get more photos soon. i contacted the designer and the jeweler. Unfortunately, I was not able to take photos of the ring at the shop last night. From the top, the ring looks like a solitaire w/ clawfoot prongs, you only see the pave "crown" from the profile view. This photo does not do it justice at all!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results