shape
carat
color
clarity

Is It Safe...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jackieblue

Rough_Rock
to use a tension setting for an aquamarine, or are they too brittle? Does it depend on the type of tension setting?
thanks,
-jackieblue

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Some old threads I found using Advanced Search for "tension" AND "safe"
1.gif

[/u][/u][/u]

jackieblue

Rough_Rock
Hi, Leonid-
I guess I am just trying to determine whether the hardness of aquamarine is enough to have it set this way. Those links all discuss diamonds. I think a tension set aqua would look great, but why bother if it's not a good idea for that particular stone, assuming it's not too included.
thanks,
-jackieblue

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Say "no" to a tension set aquamarine. It does not have the strength to last in such a ring over time. While it might make it through manufacturing, it will not give satisfactory durability under stress.

You can make a "tension style, look alike" ring that does not stress the stone and do it nicely with an aqua.

jackieblue

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 1/21/2003 9:49:16 AM oldminer wrote:

Say "no" to a tension set aquamarine. It does not have the strength to last in such a ring over time. While it might make it through manufacturing, it will not give satisfactory durability under stress.

You can make a "tension style, look alike" ring that does not stress the stone and do it nicely with an aqua.
----------------

This is exactly the type of information I was seeking. Of course, I wish the answer had been "yes, absolutely!" but I'd prefer a ring to last.

You have definitely piqued my interest! Do you have a photo of or a link to a "tension-style, lookalike" ring? I'd love to see an example or 5.
2.gif

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results