shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it safe to have palladium band next to platinum rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

allaboutcushions

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''m considering buying a 2 mm plain palladium wedding band by Artcarved as a spacer between my platinum shared prong ering and w-band. Is there any issue with having these two different metals next to one another (i.e., will the palladium somehow contaminate the platinum -- I think I read before that silver next to platinum can adversely affect the platinum)?

BTW-for anyone wondering why I don''t just by a plain platinum band. I want to also purchase a 2 mm platinum eternity channel set band with round diamonds as an alternative spacer band when I feel like adding a little more "bling" to the set. The palladium band cost only $93, while the cheapest platinum band I could find was $199. I''d rather put that extra hundred toward the platinum eternity ring.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have never heard of anyone doing this - I expect the palladium will wear out and not damage the platinum - but I do not know for sure.

The issue is not just about hardness - platinum seems to pick up grit and become like an absive disc

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
My e-ring is in platinum and my eternity band is in platinum as well. I wanted a plain band to wear that matched my husband''s platinum ring, so I ordered palladium. I did a bunch of research here on PS and elsewhere and it seems that they wear very similarly because they are both in the platinum family. I figure if I don''t like it as much as platinum, or if it doesn''t wear well, then I''ll just order a platinum band down the road. I just got married over the weekend so there has been no time to see how either wear, but just wanted to let you know that I am doing the same thing. I don''t plan to wear all three bands together often, but I do plan to wear the plain band with the eternity ring or the plain band with the-ering, so I will be wearing the platinum and palladium together.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/1/2007 4:29:52 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
My e-ring is in platinum and my eternity band is in platinum as well. I wanted a plain band to wear that matched my husband''s platinum ring, so I ordered palladium. I did a bunch of research here on PS and elsewhere and it seems that they wear very similarly because they are both in the platinum family. I figure if I don''t like it as much as platinum, or if it doesn''t wear well, then I''ll just order a platinum band down the road. I just got married over the weekend so there has been no time to see how either wear, but just wanted to let you know that I am doing the same thing. I don''t plan to wear all three bands together often, but I do plan to wear the plain band with the eternity ring or the plain band with the-ering, so I will be wearing the platinum and palladium together.
NEL I hope your wedding ring does not wear out before you, but I fear it will.
Silver and gold are in the same group of metals, and silver chops through gold very quickly

allaboutcushions

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/1/2007 4:29:52 PM
Thanks for responding New England Lady. I''m sure Gary was just trying to be helpful but his comment kind of made me feel like a freak for having such an idea! The online jeweler that I''m buying the Artcarved palladium band from said that the only issue I might have is a difference in color between the two metals but since I''ve got diamonds half way around both my rings there isn''t a whole lot of platinum showing. Anyway, the jeweler said that I can return the ring for 100% refund (less $5 shipping) if I don''t like it for any reason. He also mentioned that Artcarved offers an excellent warranty on finish, wear, and resizing, so if I notice any of those issues that I can send it to him (so he can send to Artcarved) or back to Artcarved directly for repair or replacement. I guess that will take care of the wear that Gary noted.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
If I start to notice any wear on either band, I''ll just not wear it next to the platinum, no big deal. I thought it was worth a shot, though. I kind of just wanted to experiment since nobody has any definite answers about palladium vs. platinum and since the palladium is just a band I can always replace it with platinum if need be and won''t really be out much money at all. I truly think it should be fine, though, at least it is so far.

To be honest I notice more wear from the eternity band on the e-ring since I have a shared prong next to a basket setting and I know that drives some people crazy but I don''t really care. So long as there is no actual damage, which according to old PS posts there shouldn''t be, then it''s not a big deal.

allaboutcushions

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/1/2007 5:51:13 PM
If I start to notice any wear on either band, I''ll just not wear it next to the platinum, no big deal. I thought it was worth a shot, though. I kind of just wanted to experiment since nobody has any definite answers about palladium vs. platinum and since the palladium is just a band I can always replace it with platinum if need be and won''t really be out much money at all. I truly think it should be fine, though, at least it is so far.

To be honest I notice more wear from the eternity band on the e-ring since I have a shared prong next to a basket setting and I know that drives some people crazy but I don''t really care. So long as there is no actual damage, which according to old PS posts there shouldn''t be, then it''s not a big deal.
I''m with you. I don''t want my diamonds rubbing against each other or against the head on my e-ring. As long as there isn''t any metal mixing contamination issues, then I''ve got a solution for the possible "wear" problem with the warranty Artcarved provides. If I get the band and hate the way it looks color wise then I''ll just send it back and all it will cost me is the shipping. Not to mention I have a difficult time understanding how palladium could be worn down so quickly by platinum when they are in the same metal family - not to mention that Artcarved alloys their palladium with ruthenium (which I understand should make it very hard - and a little more gray - which the jeweler noted).

Once I get the band I''ll take some pics and post. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results