shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it possible to reorient a set diamond?

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
As the title suggests, I would like to change the position of my diamond in its setting and I was wondering if this is a) something a jeweler would consider doing and b) a possibly dangerous decision that could weaken the prongs.

I want to turn my RB 90 degrees but I'm not willing to affect the integrity of the ring. I haven't heard of anyone on here doing this, so if anyone has any insight please share! Oh, and I would have to ask Leon to do this so if it's a bad idea, don't hold back. I'd rather get it here than from him...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With a prong set round diamond it's usually not a difficult job to rotate the stone. Usually this is about uncovering a girdle inscription or lining up the crown facets with the design of the ring but, either way, it shouldn't be a problem. Occasionally the jeweler will set the stone with a specific thought in mind like covering a particular inclusion, showing an inscription or a design issue but if you talk with whoever set the stone they should be able to tell you if any of these apply in your case.

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the reassurance Neil. I do have a specific reason for wanting the diamond re-aligned and it's nice to know that I could do it without damaging the ring. Gives me something more to think about I suppose. Thanks again!

MarkBroumand

Shiny_Rock
Trade
calibali|1290903407|2780627 said:
Thank you for the reassurance Neil. I do have a specific reason for wanting the diamond re-aligned and it's nice to know that I could do it without damaging the ring. Gives me something more to think about I suppose. Thanks again!

Without wanting to intrude...may I ask why you want to re-align your ring?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
MarkBroumand|1291071918|2782126 said:

I'm not the OP so I absolutely cannot know her answer, but for me if I had forgotten to state my preference I might be inclined to have it changed... I prefer the arrows at 12/3/6/9 but most of the time i see them set in more of an x (2/5/7/11) orientation that I don't like to look at as well. And sometimes orientation isn't even considered and it just looks wonky. But neither of those scenarios would be helped by a 90* turn.

MarkBroumand

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Cehrabehra|1291084132|2782305 said:
MarkBroumand|1291071918|2782126 said:

I'm not the OP so I absolutely cannot know her answer, but for me if I had forgotten to state my preference I might be inclined to have it changed... I prefer the arrows at 12/3/6/9 but most of the time i see them set in more of an x (2/5/7/11) orientation that I don't like to look at as well. And sometimes orientation isn't even considered and it just looks wonky. But neither of those scenarios would be helped by a 90* turn.

Right, I completely understand...just curious really!! :twirl:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked back on your thread, is this for your gorgeous Leon Solitaire ring? If so, I'd be worried about the prong which would then rotate to 3 & 9 o'clock interfering with the cathedral shank that you have (since its right now connected to a crossbar), not sure if Leon will think "its pleasing to his eye" as he's a quirky man for that sort of thing ::) definitely ask him.

ETA: N/M my post, I just reread your post about reorienting your DIAMOND... not the head :cheeky: ... sorry disregard ::)

no problemo with the reorient i think

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Gah, I forgot about this thread after reading Neil's reply.

Just to close things out - after lots of consideration I realized that repositioning the diamond would not give me the exact outcome I want. I'm still meeting with Leon next week to discuss wedding bands and have my solitaire polished, but that is all I'm going to do (I'm even leaving the Ifon stamp alone). Little flaws just make it more my own. ;-)

Thanks everyone!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
calibali|1291507291|2787475 said:

Just to close things out - after lots of consideration I realized that repositioning the diamond would not give me the exact outcome I want. I'm still meeting with Leon next week to discuss wedding bands and have my solitaire polished, but that is all I'm going to do (I'm even leaving the Ifon stamp alone). Little flaws just make it more my own. ;-)

Thanks everyone!
yeah but now we're all curious lol Why'd you want to rotate it???? :D

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks everyone!

now you have my curious- what is the exact outcome you ant regarding your diamond? Is there an inclusion you want to cover?

MarkBroumand

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Amys Bling|1291573185|2787976 said:

Thanks everyone!

now you have my curious- what is the exact outcome you ant regarding your diamond? Is there an inclusion you want to cover?

I know! She never ended up answering the question!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results