shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it possible to over-clean a diamond?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
We give our clients a strong ammonia and detergent that we have mixed for us, and a small vibrating cleaner that can take boiling water.
Great results.
But Sledge, maybe you should do this while the missus is asleep?
I thought ammonia isn’t good with gold mountings?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only complaint I have about Dawn is that when I use it to wash my hands with my ring on, I don’t think it rinses well under my diamond... because it’s so concentrated? Or maybe my diamond is set too low?

When I wash my hands, I never put soap on my ring and try to even avoid getting it too wet. I think it’s entirely different than soaking the ring in soapy water.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are we to assume that you were a prime member in this small research project???

Wink

I can neither confirm nor deny my involvement. And any scratches or bruises you may or may not have seen or heard about was from an unfortunate and unassisted falling event.

But Sledge, maybe you should do this while the missus is asleep?

If I was to partake then I can assure you I would need to operate quieter than a mouse fart in a pile of cotton. And then, the odds of success are about as good as playing Russian Roulette with a full auto gun.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol:;)2@sledge :-o

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I generally wash my hands with my rings on with Dawn before I put the rings in the ultrasonic so they aren’t going in with gunk already on them. I find that Dawn leaves less film than something like Windex. Rinsing thoroughly is always a must regardless of what you use!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn’t know where to post this but this seems like a good place! I decided to put rubbing alcohol in my Magnasonic and run my rings through...I noticed that although I clean my rings pretty much every other day...sometimes daily..they didn’t sparkle like they used to. I think it was getting a residue from the Dawn or whatever cleaner I put in the water...Sometimes I used only Windex...no water...I change it around. Anyway, I poured full strength rubbing alcohol in my Magnasonic and ran my rings two times. Mind you..my rings are really clean to begin with...When I took my rings out of the Magnasonic with alcohol in it..the diamonds were amazingly sparkly! They looked just like when you get them cleaned at the jeweler...which I don’t do...It can’t hurt the metal or the diamonds...oh...and don’t rinse with water...Just wipe the tables of the diamonds...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use Windex first and then the detergent if my rings are really dirty..... but we don't have Dawn in other parts of the world. Any good grease cutting detergent that doesn't leave any type of film or build up works.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only complaint I have about Dawn is that when I use it to wash my hands with my ring on, I don’t think it rinses well under my diamond... because it’s so concentrated? Or maybe my diamond is set too low?
Do you rinse your hands/ring in warm water or cold/cool water? I find warm/hot water doesn’t rinse soap away as well/cleanly as cool water.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Do you rinse your hands/ring in warm water or cold/cool water? I find warm/hot water doesn’t rinse soap away as well/cleanly as cool water.
That's interesting... I've found that if I don't clean my ring in hot water it just doesn't get the gunk off, But I will try your suggestion!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's interesting... I've found that if I don't clean my ring in hot water it just doesn't get the gunk off, But I will try your suggestion!

It’s best to soak/wash in warm/hot water; just rinse well in cool/cold water.

amillionstars

Rough_Rock
When you said you had it cleaned professionally, I assume it was also polished, which is what is partially responsible for the incredible, WOW look.

Now, the cleaning will not cause any damage to the diamond when done professionally, but may in fact microscopically wear on the ring and hasten the day when it needs new prongs or a new half shank. If your ring is made of gold, it will happen quicker than with platinum, which does not wear off as quickly.

This is going to be a long time thing, even if you have it cleaned often. For example, if you have a gold ring that is going to need new prongs or a new half shank in twenty years, you might shorten the time to eighteen years. These times are just relative examples, as I frequently do new half shanks or prongs in the fifteen to twenty year time frame for gold. Sometimes it is as quickly as ten years for ladies that are super hard on their hands and the jewelry thereon.

Platinum usually lasts much longer, and I have had fifty to seventy-five year old platinum rings come in for sizing or cleaning that are still serviceable. It depends on how hard, or how easy they were worn.

I do recommend, that for ultimate enjoyment of the ring that you clean it at least once a week, and only have it polished a few times a year. The ultrasonics mentioned above and a steamer will give you a bright sparkly clean, and when you find the scratches beginning to bother you, take it to a jeweler for a good polishing. I am a little spoiled, as a jeweler, I drop my ring into the ultrasonic and steam it off several times a week. I like my star to sparkle, sparkle rather than just twinkle, twinkle...

Wink

Is there a particular steamer for home use that you would recommend? Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results