shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it possible to over-clean a diamond?

AntiqueMovalGal

Shiny_Rock
I got engaged a week and a half ago and just got my ring professionally cleaned for the first time. WOW! It made such a difference, it looked like a whole new diamond.

That made me want to maximize the sparkle effect by getting my ring cleaned often! So my question is... Is it potentially damaging to a diamond to get it professionally cleaned every week our every other week?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most people here either have steam cleaners or ultrasonic cleaners at home that they use to clean their rings regularly, some as often as daily. If you search the forum for posts about cleaning rings, you’ll find a wealth of information. It’s a lot easier to clean at home than to take somewhere else.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
You can do just as well (almost) at home with an ultrasonic and an old toothbrush with warm water and dish soap. Make sure you clean the bottom of the stone too.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get a magnasonic ultrasonic and use 3/4 distilled water and 1/4 mr clean citrus.

Do you have pave on your band?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When you said you had it cleaned professionally, I assume it was also polished, which is what is partially responsible for the incredible, WOW look.

Now, the cleaning will not cause any damage to the diamond when done professionally, but may in fact microscopically wear on the ring and hasten the day when it needs new prongs or a new half shank. If your ring is made of gold, it will happen quicker than with platinum, which does not wear off as quickly.

This is going to be a long time thing, even if you have it cleaned often. For example, if you have a gold ring that is going to need new prongs or a new half shank in twenty years, you might shorten the time to eighteen years. These times are just relative examples, as I frequently do new half shanks or prongs in the fifteen to twenty year time frame for gold. Sometimes it is as quickly as ten years for ladies that are super hard on their hands and the jewelry thereon.

Platinum usually lasts much longer, and I have had fifty to seventy-five year old platinum rings come in for sizing or cleaning that are still serviceable. It depends on how hard, or how easy they were worn.

I do recommend, that for ultimate enjoyment of the ring that you clean it at least once a week, and only have it polished a few times a year. The ultrasonics mentioned above and a steamer will give you a bright sparkly clean, and when you find the scratches beginning to bother you, take it to a jeweler for a good polishing. I am a little spoiled, as a jeweler, I drop my ring into the ultrasonic and steam it off several times a week. I like my star to sparkle, sparkle rather than just twinkle, twinkle...

Wink

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have noticed that a few of the ladies at work take their rings to be cleaned at the jewelers every 6 months when they have them inspected per their warranty requirements. They were not aware that they could and should clean their rings daily to keep them looking their best. You wash your hands often- why not wash the rings that are on your hands?

Before I go to bed I place the rings I wore for the day in a solution of water and diluted Dawn dish soap. After letting the rings soak over night I give them a quick rinse before putting them on again. If they are very dirty I take a soft toothbrush and clean them lightly. If I am in a hurry and forgot to soak them I hit them with scrubbing bubbles and a rinse. They look amazing when I walk out the door. They look less amazing during the day when I use hand sanitizer and lotion.

Can the gold or platinum be damaged by cleaning solutions? Not by dish soap and water but cleaners containing ammonia may damage the setting over time although I have not seen evidence of this with my rings. Could the diamond be damaged by the cleaning solutions? Not likely but not sure with fractured filled diamonds.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I had a jeweler tell me some cleaners like bleach can "eat" through gold over time and leave it looking like a honeycomb and very fragile. Less so with platinum.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That made me want to maximize the sparkle effect by getting my ring cleaned often! So my question is... Is it potentially damaging to a diamond to get it professionally cleaned every week our every other week?
You can clean your diamond every hour
filenails.gif
:bigsmile:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Note of caution - one should be extremely careful if one wants to clean a 'clarity enhanced' stone, as it may have drill holes and/or treatments that could let the diamond be damaged by cleaning solutions and mechanical action.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have noticed that a few of the ladies at work take their rings to be cleaned at the jewelers every 6 months when they have them inspected per their warranty requirements. They were not aware that they could and should clean their rings daily to keep them looking their best. You wash your hands often- why not wash the rings that are on your hands?

Before I go to bed I place the rings I wore for the day in a solution of water and diluted Dawn dish soap. After letting the rings soak over night I give them a quick rinse before putting them on again. If they are very dirty I take a soft toothbrush and clean them lightly. If I am in a hurry and forgot to soak them I hit them with scrubbing bubbles and a rinse. They look amazing when I walk out the door. They look less amazing during the day when I use hand sanitizer and lotion.

Can the gold or platinum be damaged by cleaning solutions? Not by dish soap and water but cleaners containing ammonia may damage the setting over time although I have not seen evidence of this with my rings. Could the diamond be damaged by the cleaning solutions? Not likely but not sure with fractured filled diamonds.
what exactly is this mysterouse dawn soap dish soap ? i have seen it mentioned around here before
is it just (insert brand) dishwashing liquid ?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I like Fairy Liquid as a good grease and gunk shifter, or Shield soap. Both cut through grease quickly. Shield is likely less abrasive as it is designed for the body, not dishes, and doesn't contain salt like Fairy does (AFAIK).

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think most people ‘under clean’ their jewelry. Thanks to @whitewave I recently purchased a magnasonic cleaner and use Mr Clean Citrus diluted with hot water and a baby toothbrush to clean my jewelry at least once a week. In between I soak in 90% IPA while I soak in the tub. I love having clean sparkly diamonds!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
7E9ED95D-5DC1-4CEE-B8C5-2BE6D1AB2113.jpeg

I’m curious too. Do other brands work as well. Mama Lemon anyone?

It's a great degreasing dish soap sold in N America. It has a cult following for being one of the toughest on grease but does not have overly harsh chemicals. I have a groomer friend that even uses it to wash his cat before a competition. I would imagine any good dish soap would do as well.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dawn is especially known as a grease cutter, so whichever brand you have that is like that. I have also used dishwasher granules and that worked well too.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Other brands work as well but you want to be sure you get one that does NOT have lotion in it or anything else that would leave a greasy film. That’s why you should use dish soap rather than hand soap - hand soap often has lotion in it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I recommend the real Dawn soap if you can get it.
You never know what is in other soaps and I have had brand name soap change their formula to one that leaves residue.
Its only a few bucks and if used just for jewellery will last a very long time.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I believe that Dawn, Fairy and Jar are all the same just different names in different markets. I only use this brand to clean jewelry in the ultrasonic and/or with an electric toothbrush. It IS very important to use this as many other brands leave a greasy film. It is also gentle enough. When I want to work on pave holes, small side openings or the back I now also use a lipstick brush. I just sacrificed my best one for this purpose . I do agree that most people underclean their jewelry.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe that Dawn, Fairy and Jar are all the same just different names in different markets. I only use this brand to clean jewelry in the ultrasonic and/or with an electric toothbrush. It IS very important to use this as many other brands leave a greasy film. It is also gentle enough. When I want to work on pave holes, small side openings or the back I now also use a lipstick brush. I just sacrificed my best one for this purpose . I do agree that most people underclean their jewelry.
I recommend the real Dawn soap if you can get it.
You never know what is in other soaps and I have had brand name soap change their formula to one that leaves residue.
Its only a few bucks and if used just for jewellery will last a very long time.
Although Dawn, Fairy, and JAR are all part of Procter & Gamble's international corporate family, Fairy has ingredients -- including a polymer "that helps to form a protective layer on [the] skin" of your hands while washing dishes -- that the classic blue Dawn Ultra does not. So I like Karl K's recommendation: use the Dawn Ultra if it's available to you. I couldn't seem to quickly find anything listing JAR's ingredients.
Dawn Ultra:
https://smartlabel.pg.com/00037000973782.html#ingredients

Fairy:
https://www.supersavvyme.co.uk/home/cleaning-wizard/fairy-ingredients

Maggiemeans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I daily clean my ring in the connoisseur liquid.. I don't soak, I dip for and swirl for about 10 seconds then rinse off.
i love the ultrasonic.. but use it about every 6 months. My steamer, i find annoying.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
I use the connoisseurs gel on my rings every night as I take them off, followed by a quick water rinse. About once a week I use the ultrasonic and steamer.

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
I steam clean my diamonds daily and I love how they sparkle so brilliantly from a thorough steam. Not sure it matters but all my diamond jewelry is set in platinum.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

hmm i see
thank you all
well i know the ones to stay clear of - the ones that soften your hands while you do dishes

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@MollyMalone I never used Fairy, that’s supposed to be the version available in the UK market that was at least originally that market’s version of Dawn. Always used Dawn in the US and now using JAR. In the original or ultra version there is nothing film forming. It is the version available in some Continental European countries. Guess this is not of concern to anyone residing in the US where Dawn is available.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Writing for a friend.

There can be very dangerous side effects, depending who originated the idea of cleaning. Research is ongoing. Studies thus far reveal husbands who suggest cleaning more frequently than the wife deems necessary is in grave danger. The method or type of cleaner seems to have little to no variance in the matter.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
We give our clients a strong ammonia and detergent that we have mixed for us, and a small vibrating cleaner that can take boiling water.
Great results.
But Sledge, maybe you should do this while the missus is asleep?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although Dawn, Fairy, and JAR are all part of Procter & Gamble's international corporate family, Fairy has ingredients -- including a polymer "that helps to form a protective layer on [the] skin" of your hands while washing dishes -- that the classic blue Dawn Ultra does not. So I like Karl K's recommendation: use the Dawn Ultra if it's available to you. I couldn't seem to quickly find anything listing JAR's ingredients.
Dawn Ultra:
https://smartlabel.pg.com/00037000973782.html#ingredients

Fairy:
https://www.supersavvyme.co.uk/home/cleaning-wizard/fairy-ingredients
Great research!

I never knew that, and that site looks very useful :)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It's a great degreasing dish soap sold in N America. It has a cult following for being one of the toughest on grease but does not have overly harsh chemicals. I have a groomer friend that even uses it to wash his cat before a competition. I would imagine any good dish soap would do as well.
The only complaint I have about Dawn is that when I use it to wash my hands with my ring on, I don’t think it rinses well under my diamond... because it’s so concentrated? Or maybe my diamond is set too low?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results