shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it OK to bezel a chipped diamond?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
My original ering held a princess cut diamond which I managed to chip along the girdle (photo follows). Although the diamond was insured, my options were limited and I ended up just keeping the diamond (and canceling the insurance policy!). So I thought I might do something with it for a RHR and wondered if I bezeled it- would it put stress on the edge of the diamond when they do it that I could make the chip worse? If not, I would think a bezel would cover and protect it. I don't want to get rid of it for sentimental reasons.

diamond_78.jpg

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
pinkjewel,

The specific location along the girdle, the proximity of other inclusions, and the type of bezel setting you are looking at can all come into play on this. Your best bet is to take it to a professional jeweler (or 3) and let them give you recommendations and opinions.

Do update us on what you hear!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know sometimes the chip can be polished out. I'd contact one of the vendors who have stones cut for them.

:wavey: Hi, by the way!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Diamond_Hawk|1442972950|3930729 said:
pinkjewel,

The specific location along the girdle, the proximity of other inclusions, and the type of bezel setting you are looking at can all come into play on this. Your best bet is to take it to a professional jeweler (or 3) and let them give you recommendations and opinions.

Do update us on what you hear!

thanks, Diamond_Hawk- I've been in touch with a jeweler I trust and she feels it should be ok to bezel. =)

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1442982597|3930757 said:
I know sometimes the chip can be polished out. I'd contact one of the vendors who have stones cut for them.

:wavey: Hi, by the way!

Hi DS!!!! :wavey: How are you doing??!! I've been trying to stay away from PS so I'm not tempted to buy anything... but I can only stay away so long-lol.

The chip looks like it runs pretty deep, and I'd rather just protect it with a bezel. I did look at a recut or polishing, but it would lose quite a bit of weight and the side it's on is already the narrower side of the diamond. I talked with Caysie yesterday and I think we can come up with a pretty bezel setting to protect it and I'll wear it on my right hand. ;-)

On another topic- I can't believe you're selling your beautiful AVR!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results