shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it normal to be expected to pay up front for custom work?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but, I was planning to order an eternity ring from Fay Cullen, but the size and metal type I want is out of stock. They said they could make it for me in about 8 weeks, and that I would need to send payment before they will begin work on it.

With my e-ring, we were expected to put down a deposit and then send full payment when it was complete. Is it normal for a jeweler to require full payment before they start work on a piece?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think most jewelers only require a down payment.
i''m not surprised that fc would require full payment though. i don''t think the policies there are very customer friendly
14.gif

best of luck with your ring musey

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I may order from Antique Engagement Rings then (they have the same design). I don''t think I want to deal with FC, I thought maybe it wouldn''t be that bad, but right off the bat their customer service is living up to its reputation!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 2:54:51 PM
Author: musey
I think I may order from Antique Engagement Rings then (they have the same design). I don''t think I want to deal with FC, I thought maybe it wouldn''t be that bad, but right off the bat their customer service is living up to its reputation!
that sounds like a good option.

do we get a little peek at the ring?
20.gif
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, FC customer service is somewhat notorious. Having said that, for a custom piece that is truly custom - ie. a new design that hasn''t been brought to fruition before, I wouldn''t pay up front because there are too many variables and you have no clue how the end product will really look. However a piece such as the one in question...where you know what you''re getting and it''s just a matter of size and/or metal color...paying up front isn''t as shocking to me. If it makes you uncomfortable though, don''t do it.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 3:01:37 PM
Author: belle
do we get a little peek at the ring?
20.gif
9.gif
I''ve been eyeing it for months!
p.jpg

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
That''s a gorgeous ring musey!!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
we paid 1/2 up front on the custom setting for my spess..........

movie zombie

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For what it''s worth, just wanted to pipe up that the only reason I''ve *not* purchased from Fay Cullen so far is because of her return policies! So not-customer-friendly.

Under 2k, you get store credit only (no money back). Over 2k, you get money back, less a $200 "restocking" fee. Hmmm.

I have bought from another antique jewelry vendor in New York that does not offer refunds for international purchases (I''m not sure why though). However, their prices are pretty darn good (to me anyways), so that makes it worth it. I find Fay''s prices on the higher end of comparible online antique jewelry dealers.

I use another dealer based in Florida that does not offer full refunds either, but again, her prices are good enough that I swallow that.

Sigh. :)

Anne

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results