shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it normal for peridot to look neon in the sun

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
My mother just gave me what I''m assuming is a peridot. It looks pretty normal around the house but outside it turns neon green. Is that the norm or is it an indication that it''s some other type of stone or even a synthetic stone?

She bought it along with some amethyst and citrine stones in 1978 at a gem and mineral store.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thought I''d attach a photo.

peridot111.jpg

lili

Ideal_Rock
cool gem! love the shape.

i may be wrong, but i heard somewhere (maybe it''s JTV) that the chinese peridot possesses that neon property.
it sort of glow like those glow in the dark things.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of gorgeous peridot earrings (the settings are boring, the stones are gorgeous) that are very neon in sunlight. I get remarks on them all the time. The prettiest peridots I''ve ever personally seen.

Barbara

Rough_Rock
Hi Innerkitten and all,

I don''t find any reference to peridot fluorescing (like Burmese rubies do in sunlight) which would be one possible explanation of the neon quality. Peridots range in their degree of "oliveness" depending on their exact chemical composition, but any peridot''s color would be improved by viewing in daylight (or day equivalent fluorescent lights). Daylight has fewer of the red and orange wavelengths that muddy up green, incandescent light has them in abundance. So I think you just have a very nice quality of peridot whose chemical composition makes it particularly pretty in daylight. Like this one:

P-4296B.jpg

Barbara

conitta

Shiny_Rock
I have heard Tommy Brown (JTV) talk about Peridot having that inner glow in low light a number of times.He said that they sometime mine it at night because of this inner glow.

Connie

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I was never much of a peridot fan because most of the ones I've seen are kind of yellow, but this one doesn't really have too much yellow in it that I can see, and it's a nice size 16x12mm. It does have a window though. Still even with the window it's a fun stone looks great in bright light and a good addition to my collection.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results