shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it normal for diamond to be able to turn in the setting?

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve had the prongs tightened once, but I just noticed today that my diamond can turn left or right in the setting just a bit. When the prongs hit a higher facet it stops. I don’t think this is normal but I also don’t know what I can do to resolve it? Other than get them tightened again? It’s a simple solitaire with four claw prongs. 53569F7A-F7D5-4C1C-ADC9-CDA9300B8798.png

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’ve had the prongs tightened once, but I just noticed today that my diamond can turn left or right in the setting just a bit. When the prongs hit a higher facet it stops. I don’t think this is normal but I also don’t know what I can do to resolve it? Other than get them tightened again? It’s a simple solitaire with four claw prongs. 53569F7A-F7D5-4C1C-ADC9-CDA9300B8798.png
Nope not normal!! Take it off before you lose it. Get it checked right away. Lucky you noticed it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

It should definitely not turn in the setting. Don’t bring it back to where you had the prongs tightened before. I would go to a different jeweler.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
It should definitely not turn in the setting. Don’t bring it back to where you had the prongs tightened before. I would go to a different jeweler.
Good idea. It seemed solid after they tightened them but that was only about a month ago and it’s already loose again. Although, it’s loose in a different way now. It used to sort of rattle up and down and now it moves side-to-side. And also it was fine when I originally got it. I think I did something to loosen a prong… and after that I went to get it tightened locally for the first time.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I got to admit ive been fiddling with my grandma's ER making sure nothing moves or wobbles
The diamond is tiny compared to yours, id never find it
I have my grandma’s engagement ring too, and I think those older ones are set solid as a rock. But I always check, too:)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The problem with loose diamonds is that diamonds are hard. Gold is soft. A spinning diamond literally saws the tip of the prongs from the inside. The usual repair strategy is to push the tip down, which works if that’s the problem, but it’s not the only source, especially for new goods. If it’s not set right in the first place, this doesn’t help. Even worse, it might void your warranty to have someone else messing with it. It’s not as a day as it looks. Call the original setter. Let them deal with it.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
The problem with loose diamonds is that diamonds are hard. Gold is soft. A spinning diamond literally saws the tip of the prongs from the inside. The usual repair strategy is to push the tip down, which works if that’s the problem, but it’s not the only source, especially for new goods. If it’s not set right in the first place, this doesn’t help. Even worse, it might void your warranty to have someone else messing with it. It’s not as a day as it looks. Call the original setter. Let them deal with it.

Good point as well. I was nervous to have to put this back in the mail to NY, though. I will contact Jonathan and see what he thinks.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Good point as well. I was nervous to have to put this back in the mail to NY, though. I will contact Jonathan and see what he thinks.
Jonathan and Vicki offered to either cover the cost of repair locally or have me ship it to their bench to look at. I think I’ll have the local bench evaluate what the issue might be before I decide what to do. They were super sweet and responsive to my email.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got to admit ive been fiddling with my grandma's ER making sure nothing moves or wobbles
The diamond is tiny compared to yours, id never find it

I have a very unscientific method of checking this by gently probing around with a plastic toothpick. If a stone moves, the ring needs professional attention.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results