shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it necessary for Diamond Stud earrings to be certified?

Carnevil

Rough_Rock
It appears that the price for GIA, RB, 1.5, G, SI1, Triple Ex, diaomond earrings can be the same price for 2.0, G, SI1 non-certified...
is bigger better for earrings even though it's not certified?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Is it necessary for Diamond Stud earrings to be certifie

I would never buy diamonds of that size without a lab report. Perhaps would consider diamonds under .30 or even .40 without a report, if from a very reputable vendor, but for such a large purchase you *need* the report to determine the value of the stones because one color or clarity grade is worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

A cert costs about $200. So if the uncerted stones are really the same color/clarity, as yourself why the vendor did not spend the extra $200 to get them certed so he/she could charde thousands and thousands more? The answer (most of the time in my opinion): The stones are not what they are purported to be.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

BIG ditto to what Dreamer said. You are comparing certified stones to a total unknown. I did that once pre-Pricescope and the diamonds were said to be H SI1 and they turned out to be I1. There is a reason diamonds that size are not certified. Beware.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Carnevil|1307921561|2944310 said:
It appears that the price for GIA, RB, 1.5, G, SI1, Triple Ex, diaomond earrings can be the same price for 2.0, G, SI1 non-certified...
is bigger better for earrings even though it's not certified?
By all means back off on some of those specs if you want to lower the price or raise something else, like size, but don't kid yourself, the reason that stones are being sold without a lab grading is because the dealer thinks they can get MORE for them that way, not less. It's the same reason that dealers continue to use services from lab that are consistently and roundly disparaged as unreliable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results