shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it moissanite or lab diamond?

Jsbasket

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I have a bit of a dilemma. I purchased a lab diamond from a fellow PS’er a year or so ago. It came with an IGI certificate and is laser inscribed on the girdle with the corresponding IGI #. I recently sold it on LoupeTroop, and the buyer wants to return it because she believes it to be a moissanite. She took it to a local jeweler who used a diamond tester and said it was a moissanite. Have any of you ever had this happen? Of course, I am totally bummed, and wonder - is it possible to purchase a moissanite that is laser engraved as an IGI lab diamond ? Or, have you heard of lab diamonds testing as moissanite?
Appreciate your thoughts.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Hello all,
I have a bit of a dilemma. I purchased a lab diamond from a fellow PS’er a year or so ago. It came with an IGI certificate and is laser inscribed on the girdle with the corresponding IGI #. I recently sold it on LoupeTroop, and the buyer wants to return it because she believes it to be a moissanite. She took it to a local jeweler who used a diamond tester and said it was a moissanite. Have any of you ever had this happen? Of course, I am totally bummed, and wonder - is it possible to purchase a moissanite that is laser engraved as an IGI lab diamond ? Or, have you heard of lab diamonds testing as moissanite?
Appreciate your thoughts.

Who would bother to inscribe an IGI# on a moissanite?
I found an article saying that this can happen with HPHT stones. It's the Boron present that can trigger it. It doesn't mean it's not a lab diamond.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had a PSer who had lab diamond earrings test as moissanite. I think your buyer needs to find a jeweler with updated equipment. I took my lab diamond to a local guy who had amazing equipment that even told him what growth process was used.

Edited to add a different example we’ve seen here. Check post #11

And another

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sharing a thread from an experience I had like this -- lots of helpful replies:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The problem here is in the tool used by the “appraiser”. There are companies, most notably Presidium, who make relatively inexpensive tools to separate natural diamond from synthetic diamond from Moussanite from cz. That would be super useful, except they don’t really work. The error rate is huge. They misidentify cvd as Moissanite regularly and it makes customers crazy.

Find a better gemologist. Moissy is easy to spot with a simple loupe and a little bit of practice. Separating cz is easy in 5 seconds with a $10 tool. Amazon sells them. A multitester is unnecessary and it sets you up to look like a fool. Don’t buy one, and throw it out if you already have one. Separating lab from natural diamond and the various treatments and processes available to each is tricky. It takes some pricey equipment and quite a bit of practice to do it consistently. Thats part of why the labs are so popular.

Jsbasket

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your excellent information. I forwarded some of the info to the buyer. She took the ring to another jeweler who found the laser inscription and verified that the stone was indeed a lab diamond, not a moissanite. So, she has happily decided to keep the ring. I sincerely appreciate all your helpful replies!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your excellent information. I forwarded some of the info to the buyer. She took the ring to another jeweler who found the laser inscription and verified that the stone was indeed a lab diamond, not a moissanite. So, she has happily decided to keep the ring. I sincerely appreciate all your helpful replies!

good to here

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results