shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it just my eyes...

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Or is the cut of this stone askew? At first I got really excited. Beautiful, unheated sapphire. Color of my dreams. Then I started inspecting it and started noticing inclusions clearly visible at the pavilion as well as it seeming off-center...

What do you think?

pretty sapphire.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it's off-centre but it's incredibly difficult to tell from a photo because you can't see the whole gem so don't know if the camera is at a slight angle (which could make it look very different).

The inclusions are tiny and considering you're looking at a highly magnified photo, if the colour appeals to you then it's definitely worth a look. Have you got any more photos to share because it may be easier to judge the cut from a series of photos rather than just one.

The other thing I would add is that it took me over 5 years to find the sapphire of my dreams and when I did, the colour was phenomenal but I had to compromise on cut. If I had waited for colour and cut, I suspect I'd still be waiting!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color of that photo looks enhanced. Does it come with a reputable lab report indicating no treatment? Unless you have eagle eyes, you're highly unlikely to notice those inclusions. Inclusions are more of a big deal on white diamonds where the price weighs heavily on every teeny tiny pin point. In a colored gem, the color often hides inclusions, and they're more difficult to see. Color is paramount, and a few small inclusions should not be a deterrent IMHO.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
LD, I still dream about that stone of yours! Naturally I'm still looking...
Sadly, that's the only picture they have. It's from AfricaGems.
TL, as for reputable lab report, it said TGL identification...

Oh no real loss to post it: http://www.africagems.com/sapphire-blue-ja80.html

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They have a good return policy, so evaluate it in person if you want to. I think those inclusions are rutile needles, which to me, are a plus, as well formed, unbroken rutile in sapphires is a good indicaton of no heating.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
I know that 2d pictures don't give you much, especially without equal lighting, but if you had to choose between that stone and this one, which would you choose?

dream spinel.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wakingdreams53|1304025969|2907322 said:
I know that 2d pictures don't give you much, especially without equal lighting, but if you had to choose between that stone and this one, which would you choose?

Is that a Wildfishgems photo?

How large is that stone, and what is the price?

Also, comparing two enhanced photos from two different vendors offers way more of a challenge.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first is a sapphire - is the second one from Wildfishgems a spinel????

Personally I prefer the sapphire as it has more personality. I've never bought from Africagems so don't know if the photo has been manipulated or not BUT I would ask the question and if satisfied with their answer and they have a good return policy (as TL has said) then I'd get it. BTW it's not a million miles away from the colour of mine - if it really looks like that. You won't know unless you see it!

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Heh, yeah, I know. Sorry TL. You're good! That is in fact Wildfish. I know a lot of people here call them overpriced and some have had issues with the stones not being as pictured... but I can't get this stone off my mind...

As LD mentioned, yeah it's a spinel, $1460, Measures: 6.97-7.00x4.16, and is precision cut. Damn pricey though, but idk...

I know that color is more important than cut, but I want it to scintillate too.

At a difference of $524, I'm not really sure. I certainly don't have the $$ to view both.

LD, why do you think it has more personality? Just curious.

ETA: Carat: 1.32

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wakingdreams53|1304026868|2907343 said:
Heh, yeah, I know. Sorry TL. You're good! That is in fact Wildfish. I know a lot of people here call them overpriced and some have had issues with the stones not being as pictured... but I can't get this stone off my mind...

As LD mentioned, yeah it's a spinel, $1460, Measures: 6.97-7.00x4.16, and is precision cut. Damn pricey though, but idk...

At a difference of $524, I'm not really sure. I certainly don't have the $$ to view both.

Based on what I've seen here with Wildfish photos and customer comparison photos, I suspect that spinel isn't as saturated in person. Besides, spinels are moody stones and color shift in certain light sources. Many blue spinels tend to go more grey or violet in other lighting. My friend has a gorgeous blue spinel and she told me it gets dark and desaturated in some lighting. Sapphires, especially good ones, tend to hold their blue color better in most light sources, although some can go more grey or violet in certain lighting as well.

Is it a cobalt spinel, or one deemed "cobalt blue" - there is a huge difference you know.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1304027148|2907346 said:

Based on what I've seen here with Wildfish photos and customer comparison photos, I suspect that spinel isn't as saturated in person. Besides, spinels are moody stones and color shift in certain light sources. Many blue spinels tend to go more grey or violet in other lighting. My friend has a gorgeous blue spinel and she told me it gets dark and desaturated in some lighting. Sapphires, especially good ones, tend to hold their blue color better in most light sources, although some can go more grey or violet in certain lighting as well.

Is it a cobalt spinel, or one deemed "cobalt blue" - there is a huge difference you know.

Hmm, well I'm looking for a gorgeous blue stone that keeps its color in as many lighting situations as possible. It's listed as "Intense Violet Blue" Medium Dark 80. With this description:
Precision cut brilliant blue spinel without the usual gray or purple mask. Dense metallic blue with a dash of violet giving the gem a lively sparkle even in little light. A beautiful set of air bubble and some colorful needles can be enjoyed under the lens but are invisible to the eye. Diamond-like luster.

I'm sorry for bombarding you with so many questions, but can sapphires be that "lustrous" ?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do I think it has more personality?

Well, without wishing to upset Ed, the Spinel looks like it will be very dark in real life. The photo looks like it's got a very bright light shining on the stone. If you look at the accompanying report for it, you'll see another photo taken by the lab. It looks very dark but I suspect is more realistic. It also looks very hazy and you can't really see the cut - so even though this is being sold as precision cut, I would struggle to see it as such.

The sapphire does look like the photo has been enhanced for colour. Having said that (and let's assume that it has), the cut is much more visible and the clarity of the gem is good. Interestingly, if you don't enlarge the picture, you can see that it looks darker and that may be more realistic. I just think this gem has more about it but it's absolutely personal choice at the end of the day.

Both companies have good returns policies so you've got nothing to lose!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the sapphire

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wakingdreams53|1304027511|2907351 said:
TL|1304027148|2907346 said:

Hmm, well I'm looking for a gorgeous blue stone that keeps its color in as many lighting situations as possible. It's listed as "Intense Violet Blue" Medium Dark 80. With this description:
Precision cut brilliant blue spinel without the usual gray or purple mask. Dense metallic blue with a dash of violet giving the gem a lively sparkle even in little light. A beautiful set of air bubble and some colorful needles can be enjoyed under the lens but are invisible to the eye. Diamond-like luster.

I'm sorry for bombarding you with so many questions, but can sapphires be that "lustrous" ?

Uh oh, medium dark, I would be concerned it will be probably too dark. I don't care for the description. What the heck is "dense metallic blue with no grey mask???? " That doesn't make much sense to me.
:confused:

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Well I assumed it to mean that it's a saturated blue which doesn't have grey modifiers... but I may just be wishful.

I emailed Ed to ask about how dark it is. I should just contact AfricaGems because it seems like their stone may actually be much more optimal...

Any more votes for sapphire?

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Can't link AND twiddle your thumbs apparently! The sapphire sold. :knockout:

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
wakingdreams53|1304038552|2907537 said:

Awww, I'm sorry ! ;(
That happened to me with a garnet once, and I still think :evil:
Maybe it's just coincidence....
Anyway...
This just means we all get to help you find one you will love more !!!!

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Bugger. Not to worry, there will be another stone!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wakingdreams53|1304038552|2907537 said:

Sorry!! Sometimes we have sneaky lurkers :Up_to_something:

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
That's Shiney! I guess it's not my time yet... I'm still confused that Mark answered that it just sold, but it's still available on the site...

k9, yeah, not worrying too much, but I had an actual moment of my lower lip pouting over haha.

TL, perhaps, perhaps... but that's the last time I link! Love your newest blue spinel btw!!! :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Wakingdreams!

Sometimes vendors take a while to manually update their site with a "SOLD" sign.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is not fair to you... And to the vendors as well because when everyone is afraid of posting links, vendors do not get publicity on the PS...

All I can say is that according to my experience with Africagems, their pictures are pretty true to life. Maybe they have another blue stone!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
crasru|1304052890|2907750 said:
That is not fair to you... And to the vendors as well because when everyone is afraid of posting links, vendors do not get publicity on the PS...

All I can say is that according to my experience with Africagems, their pictures are pretty true to life. Maybe they have another blue stone!

Well, I wasn't going to say much more about it, at least on someone else's thread,
but, yeah.
It happened one time to me, and it won't happen again.
I am totally into Stealth Shopping these days !!!!
I can post the stone after I already have it !!!!

It's a shame, because if you want an opinion before spending lots of moolah,
yer screwed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I've purchased a few stones from Simply Sapphires and have been impressed every time. They have a cushion listed in their under $500 category that I was considering for some time; IIRC, it was around 5.5mm and under $300, heat only. I ended up purchasing a different sapphire, but do check them out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results