shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it hard to learn gem cutting?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Could someone just buy a faceting machine and some rough gems and figure it out with help of online tutorials and such?

Details appreciated.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m thinking the exact same thing. I even bought a book! I think it’s something you could learn using the book.
The first thing though is you need a facetting machine and the various accessories - dop sticks, a butane torch, many types of laps etc etc and obviously crystals to cut.
the facetting machines are expensive, like thousands. And the extras will add up another thousand or so.
and you need somewhere Clean, well lit and dry to work and store your stuff.
definately buy this book to read. 8CE2A4B0-685F-4181-80F1-90FDF53DA550.jpeg DF789D09-FFF8-4AAA-94C9-A6F80C2F9C60.jpeg FA4AC644-5E79-45F7-89FE-BAA777E7D44D.jpeg

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before COVID-19, I would have been suggesting that you find out whether there's a "rock hound" or lapidary club in your area. Those groups often offer faceting classes, with machinery and tools, for a reasonable or little cost -- plus, it would be a fun way to meet like-minded people and get useful pointers.

I imagine those get-togethers are on hold right now (at least in most parts of the USA, which is where I think you live), but perhaps some are holding virtual confabs that could still be fun-rewarding for you.

I'm tagging @jordyonbass -- he started out here on PS as a consumer, but is now a Trade member; see the About Us page of his Internet "storefront"

And if you've not already seen it, here's his Gem & Lapidary Odyssey thread, which is a terrific read :))

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks @MollyMalone :wavey:

When it comes to lapidary, you could probably learn a lot of the basics and be able to produce stones but there will be issues that take experience and expert guidance to overcome. Cabbing would be easier than faceting to learn by video tutorials, but even then there's a lot of stuff that takes years to learn. For example, knowing how to get the lighting perfect at your cutting station so that your pupil doesn't close over too much yet you can still see the stone you're working on, knowing how to do a cab dome evenly etc.
I think it's a bit like guitar in that regard; can be self taught but takes a lot to master.

See if there's a lapidary club nearby would be my first recommendation.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its not easy nor cheap but sure its doable.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
link to a guy i watch

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone so far. I've been reading and watching all of the links. Very helpful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results