shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it good price for emerald?

sparkle_zo

Shiny_Rock
I've been looking for a nice emerald for a while, but it was so difficult to find nice cut stone. Today I was offered good looking colombian emerald but not sure if the price is right. The stone is offered for $13k.
It has minor oiling and weights 3.85ctw.

image_167.jpg
image_166.jpg
image_165.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, its hard to tell anything from those pics, as it looks more like a tsavorite than an emerald.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1447288735|3948478 said:
Honestly, its hard to tell anything from those pics, as it looks more like a tsavorite than an emerald.

Minous: I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one thinking that! I agree it does appear more like a tsav, but definitely difficult to tell!

sparkle_zo

Shiny_Rock
Yes, pictures are not helpful, I realize. I forgot to mention that this emerald is eye clean.
I'll try to get better pics tomorrow, but just based on weight, color and clarity ... do you think the price is right?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sparkle_zo|1447291517|3948520 said:
Yes, pictures are not helpful, I realize. I forgot to mention that this emerald is eye clean.
I'll try to get better pics tomorrow, but just based on weight, color and clarity ... do you think the price is right?

If I were going to spend that kind of money on an emerald, I would want an AGL prestige report determining the type and amount of clarity enhancement and origin.

For such a clean Columbian emerald of that size, the price seems a bit low, which would raise some red flags to me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1447331362|3948705 said:
If I were going to spend that kind of money on an emerald, I would want an AGL prestige report determining the type and amount of clarity enhancement and origin. For such a clean Columbian emerald of that size, the price seems a bit low, which would raise some red flags to me.

I agree with the above. You aren't spending chump change and so you should take all steps to make sure it is as stated.

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
http://www.awesomegems.com/emerald-priceguide.html

What picture's show could be total different from what the stone actually look's like. I'd get the report and compare to the website above. As you can see, being from columbia could add a heck of a price to the stone.
Lab REPORT! =)

One stone could be worth that price PER carat depending on the lab report.

Carat Weight: 3.8ct. Cut: Emerald
Size: 9x9mm Color: G 6/5-6 Green, med-dark tone, very strong to vivid saturation
Clarity: VS, Type III
very slightly included to unaided eye Origin: Colombia
Price per carat: $10,500.00 Enhancement code - E
Evidence of typical oil enhancement

Or it could be worth

Carat Weight: 3.9ct. Cut: Emerald (octagon radiant cut)
Size: 9.41x8.87mm x7.47(d) Color: vslbG 4/4 Green to very slightly bluish-Green, medium tone, moderately strong saturation
very slightly included with typical emerald garden that is barely visible to the unaided eye Origin: Colombian
Price per carat: $2,000.00 Enhancement code - E

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jajabis|1447368748|3948957 said:
http://www.awesomegems.com/emerald-priceguide.html

What picture's show could be total different from what the stone actually look's like. I'd get the report and compare to the website above. As you can see, being from columbia could add a heck of a price to the stone.
Lab REPORT! =)

One stone could be worth that price PER carat depending on the lab report.

Carat Weight: 3.8ct. Cut: Emerald
Size: 9x9mm Color: G 6/5-6 Green, med-dark tone, very strong to vivid saturation
very slightly included to unaided eye Origin: Colombia
Price per carat: $10,500.00 Enhancement code - E

Or it could be worth

Carat Weight: 3.9ct. Cut: Emerald (octagon radiant cut)
Size: 9.41x8.87mm x7.47(d) Color: vslbG 4/4 Green to very slightly bluish-Green, medium tone, moderately strong saturation
very slightly included with typical emerald garden that is barely visible to the unaided eye Origin: Colombian
Price per carat: $2,000.00 Enhancement code - E

Not just any lab report, but an AGL prestige report will state the AMOUNT and TYPE of treatment, and this is very important in determining value.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesomegems, although they offer some very nice looking CS, are also on the very high end of pricing. I do agree with TL though that at that price, I would spring for the Prestige AGL report, which states the level of oiling, in addition to the origin. I think Origin could be an extra though.

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
This would be $500 for your size gem. It's the grading report http://aglgemlab.com/pricelist/

"A third level of reporting is the Prestige Full-Grading report. Upon request, a gemstone’s full-quality will be assessed, in addition to the Identification and Enhancement. A country-of-origin determination may or may not be included as per the request of the client and policy of the laboratory. A full-quality analysis will evaluate the color, clarity and cutting of a gemstone using AGL’s proprietary grading standards. In addition, a Total Quality Integration Rating (TQIR) will be provided. The AGL’s TQIR is a simplified verbal description intended to communicate the overall “quality” of gemstone, considering all of the characteristics that go into determining a specific colored stones total quality assessment. These are specific to the gem variety submitted and include such factors as size, provenance (if requested), the presence or absence of treatments, color, clarity and cutting."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results