shape
carat
color
clarity

is it foolish to buy 1/2 of an oval pair?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In your opinion, is it a bad idea to buy an oval with the plans of finding a matching one down the line? Is it that hard to find a fancy shape with similar dimension, weight and color?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it might be hard* but not impossible. If you can look at the first one you own and figure out the major components
of the faceting pattern than look for another with the same/close dimensions, table, faceting pattern I think you could get close
enough. Make sure with your first stone that you get upclose photos and store them off somewhere so you can compare and
refer back to them.

I'm thinking about making a 5 stone graduated OEC in the future and I have the same worries so I know where your coming from.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1428082614|3856436 said:
I think it might be hard* but not impossible. If you can look at the first one you own and figure out the major components
of the faceting pattern than look for another with the same/close dimensions, table, faceting pattern I think you could get close
enough. Make sure with your first stone that you get upclose photos and store them off somewhere so you can compare and
refer back to them.

I'm thinking about making a 5 stone graduated OEC in the future and I have the same worries so I know where your coming from.
Thanks for the reply!
I found a lovely oval that seems perfect for what I need and I love it but I worry if I pull the trigger when I'm ready to buy the next one (probably not for a year) I won't be able to find one then of course I'll be out of any return window.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Neil- Ovals are among the most difficult shapes to match well.
You can find two stones with the same LxW yet totally different light return patterns.....

I would not call it "foolish"- but it will be a great challenge.
It's far easier to simply buy a matching pair when you're ready.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1428083505|3856453 said:
Neil- Ovals are among the most difficult shapes to match well.
You can find two stones with the same LxW yet totally different light return patterns.....

I would not call it "foolish"- but it will be a great challenge.
It's far easier to simply buy a matching pair when you're ready.
See but I find the challenge much more " fun" lol.

But yes I had suspected everything you're saying here.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why be normal :cheeky: ! I'll help you look when the time comes 8). My deal is that I can buy 5 stones over a period of time
and it doesn't seem as bad as telling my dh that I want $3k or so to buy some diamonds. I would need a big birthday or something
for that and I dont have a big one coming up anytime soon.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel, If anyone can find a good match for an oval it will be you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1428106308|3856611 said:
Why be normal :cheeky: ! I'll help you look when the time comes 8). My deal is that I can buy 5 stones over a period of time
and it doesn't seem as bad as telling my dh that I want $3k or so to buy some diamonds. I would need a big birthday or something
Haha great minds! I know logically it would be better to just buy a pair, but I have this suspicion it will cost more to have someone find me a pair of matching colorless stones in the size I want rather than do it myself. I wonder if that's true?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Are they for a ring or for earrings? I would be less concerned about a PERFECT 'perfect match' for earrings.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1428112790|3856671 said:
Haha great minds! I know logically it would be better to just buy a pair, but I have this suspicion it will cost more to have someone find me a pair of matching colorless stones in the size I want rather than do it myself. I wonder if that's true?

Plus you get the satisfaction of knowing you picked them yourself...I dont know if that is important to you but I like the idea.
Plus...like Calliecake said, I think you can do it. I would not recommend it to just anyone (only a group of PSers) and you
are definitely one.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1428153592|3856848 said:
Niel|1428112790|3856671 said:

Plus you get the satisfaction of knowing you picked them yourself...I dont know if that is important to you but I like the idea.
Plus...like Calliecake said, I think you can do it. I would not recommend it to just anyone (only a group of PSers) and you
are definitely one.

Yeah picking them out does appeal to me. Lol you're being quite the enabler. I think I might at least get it home to see if I love it as much in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results