carat
color
clarity

Is it fake or real?

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I haven''t posted in a while!

I received a gift but I was wondering if it was real or not, how can you tell if a blue sapphire is real and if a diamond is real without a magnifying glass? Are sapphires heavy?

Thanks!

Tom Gelb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/1/2010 8:03:06 PM
Author:Daisi2112
Hi everyone,

I haven''t posted in a while!

I received a gift but I was wondering if it was real or not, how can you tell if a blue sapphire is real and if a diamond is real without a magnifying glass? Are sapphires heavy?

Thanks!

Without magnification this can be pretty tricky. One method (although a bit destructive) to determine if a stone is a diamond is a hardness test. Basically diamond is so hard that to try to scratch it with a sapphire is similar to rubbing a cupcake across cement. If you have a known sapphire (synthetic or not) try to use it to scratch the stone you think may be a diamond by rubbing their edges together. If the sapphire scratches the other stone you know it is not a diamond. If the stone scratches the sapphire (and I mean really scratches it) then it is likely a diamond. This does not at all distinguish if the diamond is synthetic or treated in any way, just proves that the material is a diamond.

Hope this helps.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results