shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it bad to get a new wedding band to match a new setting??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Is it sacreligious to get another wedding band????? I am considering another change and my wedding band does not match what I want... is that a horrible thing to do?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think so at all. Then again I am not religious.

Jean

Shiny_Rock
I am not either, just was not sure if that was a bad thing to??? Is is a common thing here on pricescope??

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Many people on PS have changed their wedding rings for the same reason you stated. For sentimental reasons, I''m not going to ever change my wedding band, unless something bad happens to it. *knocks on wood*

It really all depends on you. How would you feel about changing it? How does your hubby feel about it?

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think so...I reset my original e-ring stone into a different setting and I don''t wear my original wedding band with it. My new set is Palladium and my wedding band is yellow gold. I still have my wedding band, though.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If your hubby is fine with it go right ahead!!! I know I have made changes with mine a few times and hubby has been great about it. It''s just a personal thing I guess. My original wedding band is yellow gold, and is in my safety deposit box for safe keeping.

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
There is no voodoo related to wedding bands! :)

Remember that it is only ceremonial regalia, something that played a part in the marriage process, just like the eRing. Many ladies change their wedding bands for different reasons... weight gain, weight loss, damage to the ring, needing it cut off during pregnancy... or a different look!

There used to be a time when the thought of the two wedding bands not matching was considered in bad taste, but times have changed. You ring doesn''t have to match your spouses anymore.

Think of it this way... are you the same person that your husband married? or met? or have you grown as a person as your marriage has grown? The ring is a symbol, and changing the band can be thought of as evolution of yourself, your relationship with your husband, and your marriage.

I''d still keep the original band and find reasons to wear it, but don''t feel guilty about getting another band. If your original band is a plain band without stones, it''s perfect for everyday wear, shopping (no stone to get caught on a shopping cart...) and around the house.

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
Baaahhh.... I have just upgraded my wife's engagement setting, we will do the wedding band at some point. Our wedding bands have never matched... and the house we bought together is #13 on the street... we are still together and I don't believe we are cursed...lol...though she does curse at me sometimes so who knows...

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been married forever and although I still have my original wedding band I haven''t worn it in years. It doesn''t make me any less married that I wear a different ring now than the one we exchanged vows with. The ring is merely a symbol.

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Good points everyone.. you are making me feel better, if I go that route!

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
wooo, I wore the same thin bad for about 19 years and then went platinum... I have to admit I throw that little band on often just because it is what it is "the one" :)

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
My original band was custom made to fit my original e-ring. I''ve lost count of the bands I now wear for a wedding band. To me the band is a symbol and I don''t attach any special significance to the original. I do have the original set and wear it a few times a year.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s fine to get a new band if you want, it''s not like once you take it off the love will be gone or something, lol. But definitely talk to your DH about it. Mine is very sentimental and if I even suggested the idea I wanted a new wedding band he would be very offended. So just check with your hubby first!

*M*

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I always wanted a diamond band, but when we got married, we had just bought a condo, etc., etc. So it just didn't seem that important. Later I regretted it and started hinting that I wanted a diamond band for our one year anniversary. Well, that didn't happen, and it turned out it was because my husband thought a new wedding band had to be a big deal -- a big (think 10 year or more) anniversary. He felt that the wedding band was the wedding band and that a new band had to be an "anniversary" ring, not a new wedding band.

I can understand that reasoning, but I also felt it wasn't a good enough reason to deny me, diamond obsessed person, what I really wanted. If I'd known this at the time, I would have made sure to get a diamond band for the wedding. In the end, I got through to him and we got the new wedding band in August. We just had our two year anniversary last week . . . and I got diamond stud earrings, yum. :) So you can teach a dog new tricks.

I don't wear my original wedding band with my engagement ring anymore, but I wear my original band when walking around the neighborhood, hanging out at home, sleeping, etc. It is important to me as a symbol of our marriage, but I also don't think it holds any magical powers. Wedding bands are lost and stolen all the time, so while it should be one of your most important possessions, I don't think superstition should be involved. When I wear my new wedding band, that's also a symbol of my marriage -- the disagreement about when to get a new band and what it would be called was one of our biggest fights ever. Since then we've both been a lot more laid-back about encouraging what the other person cares about. So to me it represents a new era in our marriage, when we "get" each other more and try to focus on the good and not worry about little things.

I've also learned to ask directly for what I want and to feel free to get it myself (I've always been really generous when it comes to buying other people gifts -- hence buying DH an expensive 6mm platinum wedding band when he said white gold would do -- and really averse to spending money on myself -- hence asking for a $95 band originally). So even though I thought my husband was a dufus for a while, it worked out in the end, and I wear both bands at different times.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think it''s sacreligiuous at all. I don''t wear my original wedding band anymore. I have been married 25 yrs. so I don''t hink there''s any jinx. (lol)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same here...married almost 30 years and am wearing a new wedding band since I changed to white metal. It has more diamonds, too!
2.gif
I kept the old one, though. Did not want to alter it in any way for sentimental reasons.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think as long as your husband is fine with it, then you should go for it! Settings wear out, wedding bands get banged up and need to be replaced, people do this all the time. Others buy an eternity band later on for an anniversary and wear that as their band, nothing wrong with this at all.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I did it out of necessity. My original was cut off my already swollen fingers while pregnant. I injured my hand and my finger was swelling even more than it already was so one embarrasing visit to the ER and my ring was cut off and mangled in the process. I was devastated but when we replaced it we replaced my yellow gold with platinum

THEN down the road I wanted my husband to match so I bought him a platinum one for a gift even though his gold one was fine. He loved the new ring and was happy to match me. I had our new rings engraved to match the originals.

So my original wedding set was yellow gold. My 10 year bigger diamond gift is platinum and so is my wedding band.

If your husband is fine with it I see no reason not to.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I am doing a similiar thing to Diamondseeker. I am getting a new set and changing my metal colour to platinum.I am getting my orginal Ering setting wedding and eternity ring + my mother's wedding ring made into a Etoile pinky ring. My orginal diamond is being made into a pendant
36.gif

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Lordy, I''ve been married 23 years and have changed my wedding band and wedding set so many times I can''t count. (...and I am religious, lol)... I wouldn''t take anything for my original set for sentimental reasons and will one day pass them on to my daughters, (pictured to the left). As for my hubby, poor guy, he doesn''t even try to keep up with what rings I have anymore, he just knows I''m crazy over diamonds. I did get him a three stone wedding band to match mine that he wears on weekends, but just a plain gold band for everyday work. He''s a sweetie and doesn''t mind me being a diamond fanatic.
12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results