shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rustboy

Rough_Rock
I've been amazed looking at all of the postings here over the last couple of days and how helpful the members of this community are. I am hoping you can help me in determining whether this stone would be a good purchase or not. I know I do not have all of the details you typically look at, but I do have the following:

GIA Certified
E SI2
Pear Shape 2.54 carats
11.66x7.63x4.63
Depth=60.7
Table=58%
Fl: Medium blue
Culet: small
Comments: Additional twinning wisps and surface graining not shown
Price: $12,000

Thank you for any assistance!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hiya Rust. It's tough to tell. If the cut is good, then the price is fair.

I'd be interested in the following things:

What is the-

Crown height
Pavilion depth
Girdle thickness
Symmetry
What does the "SI2" look like? Where are the inclusions located? In the heart of the stone, or off to the side? Black or white? Feathers or crystals? Durability problem or no? Truly "eye clean" or no?

With these things we could get a much better picture of what the stone looks like. Shouldn't be too tough for the seller to supply you with this information. If it is, he's in the wrong business.

Cut can have a dramatic effect on price, creating a variance of as much as 70%.

Take for example a theoretical Cut Class 1a stone that sells for $8500. That same stone in a Cut Class 4b might sell for $5000. And from the specs you gave on your diamond it's impossible to tell! Although my gut instinct tells me that it's probably a Cut Class 3a-b, which is an average (good, as opposed to poor-to-fair or very good-to-excellent) commercial make.

You need more info. If you're laying out 12 grand, you're entitled to it.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

(If you really like it, you could purchase it with right of return after having an independent appraiser check it out. A perfectly reasonable request.)

rustboy

Rough_Rock
Thank you Rick for the information you provided. It will be very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results