shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it a best buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Vairam

Rough_Rock
Thanks to this site for helping me talk sensibly about Diamonds...

I am interested in a Diamond that i came across online. The specifications are as follows :

Shape Round
Carat Weight 1.01
Color G
Clarity VS1
Length-to-Width 6.47-6.51x3.99
Depth 61.5
Table 55
Girdle Thin Medium
No Culet
Excellent Polish and Excellent Symmetry
No Fluorescence
Price $6,596.00
Price Includes Shipping

Is the price reasonable for this diamond?

I enquired about Pavilion angle and Crown Angle. Since GIA certified this diamond, the seller do not have those information. Is it ok?

I dont want to have any inclusions in the diamond. How to ensure that?

The seller says that the diamond will be apprised by their expert. How reliable is it?

I was also told by the seller that if i do electronic fund transfer, i will get 2% discount. What is the difference between using the credit card and doing fund transfer. How is the seller benefited by fund transfer?

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

job

Rough_Rock
price seems high... just purchased a similar diamond online and didn't pay nearly as much. Seach the diamonds on pricescope. A number come in at under $5,000 for similar stones! But no expert here, someone else may say otherwise!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
At VS 1, this stone should be COMPLETELY eye-clean and inclusions should be very difficult to locate under magnification.

Yes, GIA doesn't provide additional cut info's on the reports. It's a good idea to ask for a Sarin or OGI report, preferably a complete one. We'll tell you more about this diamond once you'll get those #'s. Table/Depth combo with Ex/Ex, sounds a good start, though.

I wouldn't trust one of those in house appraisals. They are done by someone who sells stones, so they aren't, in most cases, unbiased. I'd make sure to bring the stone to an indipendent appraiser, to make sure that grades are correct and that you paid a fair value.

Vairam

Rough_Rock
Thanks Giangi
Hope i can get more information from the seller...

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Once you get the crown and pavilion angles, plug the info into the PS Cut Adviser and see how the diamond rates. Also, take a look at the chart to see where your cut quality falls and then compare the Price Stats. You'll know for sure if you're getting the best bang for your buck on this diamond, of if you need to continue your search.

Short of IF (Internally Flawless), VVS is the next best bet for clarity. Realistically, though, VS is a better route to go. You don't take the price hit of VVS and the inclusions are few, tiny, and often hard to find with a 10X loupe. Ask the vendor the type of inclusions, color (white, black carbon, or other colored gemstone flecks) and location. Type, color, and position of inclusions within the diamond are key to visibility and overall diamond performance.
1.gif

Vairam

Rough_Rock
I got the GIA Report. It has a comment : Pinpoints are not shown. What does that mean?

Also, I went to www.GIA.org and they have mentioned that crown angle is an important attribute that dictates the brilliance of a diamond.

So, is it possible to calculate Crown Angle and Pavillion Angle? I tried, but it may not be very easy if a diamond has a culet.

Strange that they dont give that value in their certificate. Why? are they trying not to be so strict on the certification?

Is it better to go for AGS Certified Diamonds?

Now I am confused
sad.gif

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
Confusion seems abundant here
Just when we think it all is clear

The more you read
And research through
The more you wonder what to do.

But in the end you'll know what's right
When you see that diamond
And its sparkling light

Enjoy the search...it's part of the fun

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Pinpoints are "sub" microscopic inclusions. You would need a jeweler's high powered microscope to see them, and if plotted would scare the heck out of you as far as clarity goes. I have a SI1 diamond with the same comment and the only thing that shows under 10X are the 2 plotted inclusions and the plotted feather. Pinpoints aren't anything to worry about.

Leonid posted the following equations to guestimate angles from %'s a while back. I say "Guestimate" because the calculations don't always come out exact to a Sarin, but the HCA result is close to the real thing.

In Windows, put your calculator in Scientific Mode, Select Inverse (Inv) and hit Tangent (Tan) for ATAN in the equations.

Crown Angle = ATAN(100 - tablesize)>
Pavilion Angle = ATAN(PavilionDepth%/50)

I tried the equations. They do work and the answer is close.

GIA doesn't record the Crown and Pavilion Angles on the Certs like AGS does, but GIA has Sarin info on diamonds they evaluate. The person/company that submitted the diamond technically owns the report and can get the info from GIA.

From a buyer's perspective, AGS Certs are easier as the info you want to crunch the HCA is right on the Cert. On a GIA Certed stone, all you have to do is ask, and you should get the info you need.

Hope this helps!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results