shape
carat
color
clarity

Is having intimate relations with a robot cheating?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I know this sounds totally ridiculous but my husband and I were having this conversation last night.

A futurologist named Dr. Ian Pearson has predicted by 2050 intercourse with robots will overtake human intercourse. So that got me to thinking, what if our son came home and told us he was in a relationship with a robot....how bizarre would that be? Then there is the issue of how it would affect current relationships, if you are married and say not in a fulfilling relationship and get involved with a robot is that cheating? Is it only cheating if the robot has artificial intelligence? What if you are happy in your relationship but want to experiment with a robot?

In 2050, I'll be 71, I doubt I will be interested in testing these waters but my sons will be 43 and 36 so it is possible that this could be something they will encounter. It's a scary thought if this is truly where we are headed.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I really don't see this "overtaking" human intercourse. I'm not saying that it won't exist, but just because somebody makes a claim, doesn't necessarily mean it's true (or will become true). As far as the cheating part is concerned, I don't really know how to answer that. I suppose it depends on who's involved. If the party involved feels cheated on, then its cheating.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy, don't get me wrong, I don't believe everything I read but self-tying shoes were featured in a movie in the 80's and they are becoming a reality in November, so anything is possible. I just think it presents some interesting questions in how robots will impact human lives in the future:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that it depends on the couple. For some, watching **** is cheating. Other people have an open relationship and having sex with other people isn't considered cheating.

It's an interesting topic! I would wager that where technology is now, it would be similar to toys. So I'd say that for me, no, it wouldn't be cheating. AI would totally change that though haha.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's cheating if your SO is a robot too.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, RealDolls are available now which can be ....anatomically correct (or incorrect, hey you can pick the parts!!!), and , I believe some of them can be connected to the internet.

I think if you can get realer than that, yes it would be totally cheating. But it may be the best and safest way to "cheat" so to speak. Unless you're sharing with another human, the darn thing can't give you any diseases. If its a girl-doll, it can't get pregnant. a boy-doll, can't get YOU pregnant. They don't age, get cranky, or get sad when you leave. In the future of course, they may be able to completely vaporize your sexy bits, so thats something to take into consideration.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1474908983|4080908 said:
Well, RealDolls are available now which can be ....anatomically correct (or incorrect, hey you can pick the parts!!!), and , I believe some of them can be connected to the internet.

I think if you can get realer than that, yes it would be totally cheating. But it may be the best and safest way to "cheat" so to speak. Unless you're sharing with another human, the darn thing can't give you any diseases. If its a girl-doll, it can't get pregnant. a boy-doll, can't get YOU pregnant. They don't age, get cranky, or get sad when you leave. In the future of course, they may be able to completely vaporize your sexy bits, so thats something to take into consideration.

LOL!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if intercourse with a robot takes away time/effort/emotional depth/sexual intimacy from the relationship, then it is a problem, whether or not it is cheating, just like anything that takes away too much time/effort/emotional depth/sexual intimacy from a relationship is a problem in that it is a choice that disadvantages and diminishes your relationship in favor of something else, and making too many of those is not conducive to long-term fulfilled relationships.

P

PierreBear

There was actually a really great film about this concept. Movie called Her. Would def recommend it though not sure if it's on Netflix. I've seen it at the public library though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Her_(film)

I will find it a sad day for a robot to replace what a human can emotionally offer. However, the movie does illustrate that some people might prefer it.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you cheating on the robot if you have relations with a person?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of it has the emotional intelligence of a vibrator imma say no.

If it sentient then sure.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1474914022|4080948 said:
There was actually a really great film about this concept. Movie called Her. Would def recommend it though not sure if it's on Netflix. I've seen it at the public library though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Her_(film)

I will find it a sad day for a robot to replace what a human can emotionally offer. However, the movie does illustrate that some people might prefer it.

I saw this movie as well as Lars and the Real Girl which is about a man who develops a relationship with one of those lifelike dolls. I loved them both.

Kind of on the fence about the cheating thing, I guess it's like anything else, if the couples discusses and agrees then no problem. Just like **** or toys as long as it doesn't overtake the relationship. Not for me but to each his or her own!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1474907491|4080901 said:
It's cheating if your SO is a robot too.

:lol:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Legally, a robot is incapable of giving informed consent.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam, I laughed so hard at your comment, anything I have to add is just not fit for a public forum 8-)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
StephanieLynn|1474903270|4080872 said:
momhappy, don't get me wrong, I don't believe everything I read but self-tying shoes were featured in a movie in the 80's and they are becoming a reality in November, so anything is possible. I just think it presents some interesting questions in how robots will impact human lives in the future:

Yes, I've seen the self-tying shoes and they are not exactly self-tying. They have laces, you push a button/stand, and the laces tighten (sort of like a blood pressure cuff).
I have also seen things like Real Doll and while I understand that sex with robots could be more common, my statement was that I couldn't see it becoming more common than sex between people.
I agree that human interaction with technology/robots is becoming more and more the norm, so yes, I agree that it's an interesting concept.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is using a vibrator cheating? If the robot is just a sex bot, then I don't see the difference.

Sex in a marriage or a relationship is about more than scratching an itch. It's about intimacy. You can never have sex with someone had have an 'emotional affair,' and that to me is a bigger threat to a marriage.

It's intimacy, not orgasm, that is where true cheating happens, IMO.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could they be done as well as The Stepford Wives, but in male form? Could I replicate my favorite boyfriend at his prime?

Deb
:saint:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It depends on the couple.

I know a couple where even talking to a person of the opposite gender is considered wrong, other than what is strictly necessary for business. To other couples, cheating would be not letting their partner know they had other lovers. And some don't care about it at all.

Sometimes, it can boil down to how much it interferes with the couple's life and intimacy. **** may not be seen as wrong but be a problem if one partner is feels neglected because of it. To a couple dealing with illness, for example, a robot may be a workable solution.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results