shape
carat
color
clarity

Is gold plated/gold filled jewelry pretty much crap?

DreamingOfDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I got scammed last year and want to get rid of gold plated/gold filled jewelry...should I just toss it? No value at all right?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on how much you have, it may be worthwhile to sell as scrap metal and get some monies back -- I've sent metal to Rio Grande several times over the years (my mom as well), and their process is transparent with good communication -- you do have to create an account with them -- https://www.riogrande.com/landing/scrap -- just another option

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some vintage pieces that are hallmarked like 1/10th 10k etc are collectible, people buy them. However pieces that are unmarked, unless the piece is interesting / pretty it’s not really worth much.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another options are women's shelters or organizations that help girls and women pick out clothes for prom or a new career.

That's a great idea
Accessories are the polish on top of an outfit but if you're broke its going to be the last thing you splash out for
And accessories dont need to be exspensive to still look nice

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
The difference between the two are that gold filled jewelry can be worn daily, doesn't tarnish easily and can be a good solid gold alternative for those on a limited budget. Gold plated on the other hand is pretty much crap. They both aren't worth much though.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I don't have a problem with costume jewelry but of course it typically does not have much financial worth.

I no longer buy yellow or rose gold filled/plated/vermeil/whatever because the gold has worn off right away too many times. I've also had pieces that lasted for years but I can't tell which is which beforehand.

If you like the pieces, why not wear them until/unless the gold wears off. Who knows, you might get lucky with it. :)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assume you want to get rid of it because it reminds you of being scammed? So it's more a mind over looks thing?

While not valuable, gold filled pieces are not necessarily crap.
Many people would still wear it. Give them to those you know who will. I love the donation idea too

I used gold filled (or sterling) findings in my bead/wirework pieces along with freshwater and semi-precious stones. I have no problem wearing such pieces for myself. Friends/family will often request pieces for themselves. Not everyone has the collection of fine jewerly we see here on PS. (I personally avoid gold plated because it doesn't wear well...but no worries for short term occasional wear).

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
While gold plated/filled pieces don't hold a lot of monetary value, they aren't worthless. Such pieces have aesthetic/design value and their cost when originally purchased represents the labor and time (and often marketing.... think Tiffany sterling pieces) that goes into their sale, design, and production. They can still be worn and enjoyed for style and aesthetic reasons despite their lower monetary value.

Ultimately, we like jewelry because it is pretty or cool and we want to adorn ourselves or communicate something by wearing it. With fine jewelry, the lasting monetary value is a nice bonus, but if it were truly about the money, we would just buy gold coins and stash them away instead.

I personally want my pieces to be made well and to last, so I prefer sterling silver for more "fun" pieces, as I don't have to worry about plating rubbing off over time. But regardless, gold filled jewelry can be worn for a time or last quite a bit if only worn occasionally or with great care.

All that to say, if you like the design, wear the pieces and enjoy them for as long as they last! If they don't excite you, pass them on for someone else to wear frivilously ;-)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My apologies to anyone who has heard this before
When i was about 8 my widowed great aunty died
They had had no children so my mum and her brothers inherited the estate

My great aunty must have been a fun young thing in the 1920s and 30s
There was a lot of costume brooches and earings
My mum didn't wear what we would call fashion jewlery so i got all the sparkles to play with

On one hand its a bit sad because compared to a lot of today's stuff they were well made and they eventually all got lost
But i had so much fun playing with them
And after i played with them my sister played with them

I would hope Aunty Neeta wouldn't have minded and would have been just happy we were loving then

So just wondering if maybe you have some younger girls in your fanily or friend group who would like to wear this jewlery

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The amount of gold on gold-filled items are considerably more than gold-plated ones, and more hard-wearing. Therefore, they are worth keeping IMHO.

DK :))

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
This has been said already, but Gold-filled holds up better than gold-plated. Gold-filled you know what are getting - there's a required percentage of gold. There's no such requirement for gold-plated.

I have some vintage gold-filled pieces, such as some WW2 sweetheart bracelets and some watches, that I value and enjoy.

Also, gold-filled and gold-plated pieces are generally much more affordable, and if that is the only way someone can afford some dressier looking pieces to enjoy, then there's a value in that too.

chere

Shiny_Rock
I wear a lot of plated / filled sterling silver. But I wouldn’t be able to wear this necklace because it was a bad buy. I would give it away and move on.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not at all snobby when it comes to jewelry, so long as they're pretty and in good taste. I wear a lot of leather bands, silver pieces, wood pieces, glass beads, and have no issue whatsoever with gold filled or plated brass. My only issue with gold plated is that it quickly turns into looking unlike what you originally bought - especially if it's gold plated silver - so I tend to stay away from that. But - gold filled? Bring it on! I have a glass bead bracelet that I bought while at the Australian National Gallery once, which was made by a glass artist who had an exhibition on at the Gallery at that time. It cost me almost $800 AU - and that was over 20 years ago, so I'd be interested to know what it would cost now. I paid for the color and the artistry, and consider it one of my all time favorite pieces of jewelry. It's stunning, and every bead on it was individually hand blown. I put more store by design than by materials, so I wouldn't poo-poo gold filled or even gold plated if the design was good.

There's a company - Gorjana - and I would happily wear their things. Their things are mostly plated, yet even so, they're lovely.

Anyway, I'm assuming you bought things you thought were pretty. If you still think they're pretty, I'd keep them. Otherwise, try selling them on LoupeTroop.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
May i just ask please ?
Does anyone have a recommendation for good qualify gold filled beads in etsy maybe ? 9k is fine
i want to restring my tiger eye rope after discovering the little round gold beads are painted plastic and that paint is flaking off :(2

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not at all snobby when it comes to jewelry, so long as they're pretty and in good taste. I wear a lot of leather bands, silver pieces, wood pieces, glass beads, and have no issue whatsoever with gold filled or plated brass. My only issue with gold plated is that it quickly turns into looking unlike what you originally bought - especially if it's gold plated silver - so I tend to stay away from that. But - gold filled? Bring it on! I have a glass bead bracelet that I bought while at the Australian National Gallery once, which was made by a glass artist who had an exhibition on at the Gallery at that time. It cost me almost $800 AU - and that was over 20 years ago, so I'd be interested to know what it would cost now. I paid for the color and the artistry, and consider it one of my all time favorite pieces of jewelry. It's stunning, and every bead on it was individually hand blown. I put more store by design than by materials, so I wouldn't poo-poo gold filled or even gold plated if the design was good.

There's a company - Gorjana - and I would happily wear their things. Their things are mostly plated, yet even so, they're lovely.

Anyway, I'm assuming you bought things you thought were pretty. If you still think they're pretty, I'd keep them. Otherwise, try selling them on LoupeTroop.

May we see a photo of the bracelet? It sounds so beautiful - and now I'm curious. I love artisan pieces.:kiss2:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @bright & shiny -

Firstly - my apologies to @DreamingOfDiamonds for this thread jack.

Bright & Shiny, I've never posted this piece on PS because it's not a high end piece, and because I love it so dearly, I didn't want it to draw criticism.

When my DH and I moved from Australia to the UK, I bought this piece a week before we left, as its colors are those one sees in the Whitsunday Islands - my favorite part of Australia and my favorite place in all the world. These colors always pull me back to 'home'.

It's a double strand bracelet of individually blown glass beads. It's strung on white, waxed thread, and the fixtures (which I believe are brass) are tied in using the most glorious emerald green silk thread. I'm all about color, so this, to me, is super lush. I do have the paperwork for it back in Australia and cannot, for the life of me, remember the name of the artist (a woman), tho, as I said above, she had a full exhibition at the Australian National Gallery in the main body of the museum at the time, and at least a couple of her pieces are in the gallery's permanent collection. I have no idea what it would be worth now; the materials are not worth much, altho the glass beads - as well as being individually made, were also made using color developed for this specific piece, which was meant to represent the rainforest areas of Australia - most specifically the wet season in the Daintree (every elongated bead meaning to evoke the feel of drops of water), I believe, which is a World Heritage site. The value is all in the design, in its individuality, and the artistry of its creator. Personally, I feel privileged to own it. And I mean that sincerely; it's one of my all time favorite pieces.

20220425_154219.jpg

20220425_154303.jpg

20220425_154336.jpg

And one last super-close up, so you can see the variation in every individual bead.

20220425_154404.jpg

Last edited:

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
May i just ask please ?
Does anyone have a recommendation for good qualify gold filled beads in etsy maybe ? 9k is fine
i want to restring my tiger eye rope after discovering the little round gold beads are painted plastic and that paint is flaking off :(2

HouseOfGemsInc on etsy is a store I can recommend, all their gold filled findings are high quality.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
@DreamingOfDiamonds, I hadn’t even considered that I’d be threadjacking your post. I’m sorry and hope you don’t mind. But for me this idea of ‘real’ and ‘fake’ and all the variations in between have been a theme of late in my head and life. I guess your post and the following responses just kept leading me down that path. With your indulgence, I’d like to reply to Mrs B’s heartfelt post. Then I’ll stop.

@mrs-b , what an absolute treasure! The raindrops are beautiful and alliterative. And your words have also created a beautiful image in my imagination that sees a forest of saturated blues and greens dripping with rain. In response to how such a piece might be perceived, I would hope that all of us have a place in our hearts for the precious pieces many of us must have that aren’t ‘high art’ in the PS way, but are nonetheless treasures. I’m honored to have seen this and learned the stories behind it (the artists and yours). Well done for having and wearing it - undoubtedly that is what the artist intended. Thank you so much for sharing!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi @bright & shiny -

Bright & Shiny, I've never posted this piece on PS because it's not a high end piece, and because I love it so dearly, I didn't want it to draw criticism.

When my DH and I moved from Australia to the UK, I bought this piece a week before we left, as its colors are those one sees in the Whitsunday Islands - my favorite part of Australia and my favorite place in all the world. These colors always pull me back to 'home'.

It's a double strand bracelet of individually blown glass beads. It's strung on white, waxed thread, and the fixtures (which I believe are brass) are tied in using the most glorious emerald green silk thread. I'm all about color, so this, to me, is super lush. I do have the paperwork for it back in Australia and cannot, for the life of me, remember the name of the artist (a woman), tho, as I said above, she had a full exhibition at the Australian National Gallery in the main body of the museum at the time, and at least a couple of her pieces are in the gallery's permanent collection. I have no idea what it would be worth now; the materials are not worth much, altho the glass beads - as well as being individually made, were also made using color developed for this specific piece, which was meant to represent the rainforest areas of Australia - most specifically the wet season in the Daintree (every elongated bead meaning to evoke the feel of drops of water), I believe, which is a World Heritage site. The value is all in the design, in its individuality, and the artistry of its creator. Personally, I feel privileged to own it. And I mean that sincerely; it's one of my all time favorite pieces.

20220425_154219.jpg

20220425_154303.jpg

20220425_154336.jpg

And one last super-close up, so you can see the variation in every individual bead.

20220425_154404.jpg

Oh Mrs B just like everything else ive seen of yours this is just equizit (excuse spelling)
Im so happy we are finally getting to see it
glass from an artist is so beaitiful i love looking at the beautuful and precouse glass things they have for sale in meusum gift shop
(Evidently we have a glass blowing school here in Wanganui - i really must investigate further)

I would hope no one on PS would ever be so disrespectful toward another member to ever look down their nose at any posted item belonging to another
but this braclete is just so lovelly it deserved its own thread years ago

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Mrs B just like everything else ive seen of yours this is just equizit (excuse spelling)
Im so happy we are finally getting to see it
glass from an artist is so beaitiful i love looking at the beautuful and precouse glass things they have for sale in meusum gift shop
(Evidently we have a glass blowing school here in Wanganui - i really must investigate further)

I would hope no one on PS would ever be so disrespectful toward another member to ever look down their nose at any posted item belonging to another
but this braclete is just so lovelly it deserved its own thread years ago

<3

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DreamingOfDiamonds Agree with the donate option.

@Daisys and Diamonds Same with my grandma’s jewelry. I wish I had saved more of it. So fun!

@mrs-b Post it in the fashion jewelry forum. Post all your pretty stuff. Nobody’s going to criticize.

Hi there, @oncrutchesrightnow :wavey:

It doesn't really 'go' with the fashion jewelry section, as such, which seems to be mostly moissanite, CZs and man-made colored gems.. It's also not faux anything - it's simply a piece made from glass. It's probably worth some thousands of dollars by now and was made by an artist whose medium is glass. I've never posted it on PS because it's not precious metals and/or gems - which is what I see the focus of PS as being - and is more art than jewelry. I think this thread is as far as this piece might get.

I'm not sure if you read the first email I wrote about it, explaining that it came from the National Gallery in Australia. We're not talking cheap knock-offs you buy in gallery shops or online in catalogues. This was one of her display pieces - the smallest and cheapest and the only one I could come close to affording - and I loved it so much and wanted something from her collection so much and it reminded me of the parts of Australia I loved so much, that I committed to buy it on the spot. She also did spectacular murals in glass and various glass installations - her work is fabulous. And it's sending me nuts that I can't remember her name.

But to get this thread back on track....

@DreamingOfDiamonds - Have you ever seen pieces by Alexis Bittar? A lot of them are gold plated, and they're GORGEOUS. I don't have any, but would buy and wear her pieces in a heartbeat:

alexisbittardotcom

(I tried to add the correct link, but it came up with a sales blurb. So I've done it as per above and people can find their way themselves if interested. I think her site is definitely worth a look)

Anyway, all that to say - it all depends on the workmanship and the design. There's definitely crap gold filled and plated jewelry out there which should probably find its way to the trash. But there's beautiful, elegant, gorgeous designs out there also, which should be treasured and worn with love.

A bit like diamonds, really....

Last edited:

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @bright & shiny -

20220425_154219.jpg

20220425_154303.jpg

20220425_154336.jpg

20220425_154404.jpg

I love this bracelet, @mrs-b, and I really love the story that goes with it. Makes my wanderlust go straight to the Whitsunday Islands....someday soon, I hope

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock

It doesn't really 'go' with the fashion jewelry section, as such, which seems to be mostly moissanite, CZs and man-made colored gems.. It's also not faux anything - it's simply a piece made from glass. It's probably worth some thousands of dollars by now and was made by an artist whose medium is glass. I've never posted it on PS because it's not precious metals and/or gems - which is what I see the focus of PS as being - and is more art than jewelry. I think this thread is as far as this piece might get.

I'm not sure if you read the first email I wrote about it, explaining that it came from the National Gallery in Australia. We're not talking cheap knock-offs you buy in gallery shops or online in catalogues. This was one of her display pieces - the smallest and cheapest and the only one I could come close to affording - and I loved it so much and wanted something from her collection so much and it reminded me of the parts of Australia I loved so much, that I committed to buy it on the spot. She also did spectacular murals in glass and various glass installations - her work is fabulous. And it's sending me nuts that I can't remember her name.

@DreamingOfDiamonds - Have you ever seen pieces by Alexis Bittar? A lot of them are gold plated, and they're GORGEOUS. I don't have any, but would buy and wear her pieces in a heartbeat:

alexisbittardotcom

(I tried to add the correct link, but it came up with a sales blurb. So I've done it as per above and people can find their way themselves if interested. I think her site is definitely worth a look)

Anyway, all that to say - it all depends on the workmanship and the design. There's definitely crap gold filled and plated jewelry out there which should probably find its way to the trash. But there's beautiful, elegant, gorgeous designs out there also, which should be treasured and worn with love.

Did read the first message. Did not mean to imply it was a cheap knockoff. Its super pretty. Forums seem to go by material, not price, thus the suggestion for where to post.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did read the first message. Did not mean to imply it was a cheap knockoff. Its super pretty. Forums seem to go by material, not price, thus the suggestion for where to post.

Good lord! I didn't think you were implying anything of the sort! Re forums and materials - that's the problem in a nutshell. I don't think there's anything that would fit a piece like this, so I've never known where to go with it. I actually think it's not a good fit with PS in general, tho where it *would* fit is beyond me. Anyway, here is where it will stay.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

alexisbittardotcom

I know its really special (i wasn't meaning to devalue it by putting it in a gift shop - i was talking about exhibition quality i promise)

We have a school of glass here and i recognize your piece is light years of experience ahead of the students who's pieces i admire

i still felt it needed its own thread
but you are right
there isnt really a good place to put it in fabulous fashion jewlery - perhaps hang out ?

(I don't want to tempt fate but id be scared i trip over and break it if it were mine)

It is so beaitiful, thank you for showing us xxx

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results