shape
carat
color
clarity

Is GOG the only game in town?

PCMusicGuy

Rough_Rock
I've been looking for a few months now for a very nice princess stone (1.53-1.75 ct, VS2 or better, D-F, with very high light performance). My eyes are particularly sensitive to color so I will not bend on anything.

So far I've tried:

A few independent jewelers - The best I've found so far was a ~1.7, IF, D stone that was nice but didn't have the visual appeal I wanted. Most look at me like I'm crazy when I break out the ASET scope and they have no idea what it is.

WhiteFlash - I was looking for an ACA quality in the size/quality I want but they could not help me there. I had a stone brought in against my gut to look at and while it was nice, it had too much light leakage, and I was out $81 to ship it back. I can't keep bringing stones in that I know I will reject.

BrianGavin - They also have nothing in the size/quality I'm looking for in the better BG Princess line. My experience with WhiteFlash makes me not want to bring stones in here as they also charge to return rejections.

Jared - I've looked at Peerless (in store and online) and Solasfera (in store only) stones they have. Nothing is suitable for what I want.

James Allen (online) - I couldn't find anything in my desired range.

And that brings me to GoodOldGold. They are the only ones that have diamonds that fall into what I'm looking for. Sarah has been very helpful in getting me information when I ask for it.

Right now I'm leaning towards the first one. I plan to use some airlines miles and fly to NY to see these in person before making the purchase.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7841/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6500/

I really wanted to get a stone by the end of June and I've been waiting and watching the market for 6 months to see if anything else would come up and haven't seen anything yet. I need to decide on a stone before the Tacori setting can be ordered/made. If I get the stone at GOG I may just have them do everything.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or advice? Should I be looking somewhere else? Also, thanks to all the members that make this a wonderful community.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I think GOG is as excellent choice. I haven't done business with them but hope to at some point. Since they have stones that fit your criteria AND are Tacori dealers so you can get the setting from them, I think you have the best of both worlds. I think your airline miles will be well spent if you go and spend a few hours with them. Just make sure you have an appointment b/c I do know they get very busy!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

How about HIgh Performance Diamonds and their superb (brand) Cut by Infinity Diamonds? You can find a link here under resources.

cheers--Sharon

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I prefer the second, larger diamond, because both the image (less dark or dead area in center) and ASET (more reds) look better.

I suggest 1. that you reserve the diamonds of interest (so no one can snatch them first), and 2. that you request GOG to take a video of both diamonds together.

The video may help you screen and possibly save you a trip until it is time to do so.

What I learn from my diamond purchase expereince, especially for non-round, fancy shaped diamonds, is that I really have to look at them in person. HCA, IS, GIA/AGS certificate, ASET, and videos are great SCREENING tools, but the final decision has to be through real life inspection. There was one diamond I thought was the one for me after having seen its ASET and video(s). Until I saw it in person did I realize certain aspects that I missed. Another advantage of visiting store and inspecting diamonds in person is that you can compare multiple diamond candidates side by side, a bonus which is very helpful. Of course, Jonathan is a joy to talk to and you will learn a lot from him. His entire staff, especiall his mother (mistakened her to be one of the sisters) are extremely pleasant. That trip for me was wonderful and well worth it. I am sure you will find the same.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring diamond came from GOG and I have nothing but wonderful things to say about them! I strongly prefer the 1.7 ct. regular princess stone. It will be noticeably larger, and every bit counts with a princess cut. The fact that GOG has Tacori really makes it an easier process. So that is definitely what I'd do in your shoes!

PCMusicGuy

Rough_Rock
Sharon, I did do an inventory "search all" here at pricescope. I have been doing so for the past few months and I just haven't been wowed by anything as I was by the GOG diamonds.

I have a local Tacori dealer that has been extremely helpful by looking for a diamond for me. Next week they are bringing in some kind of FireMark diamond for me to view. I don't much about them but they are supposed to be cut for light performance. If that still doesn't do anything, I'll be on my way to NY. Thanks. :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if you have lots of frequent flyer miles, that would be fun to go to Good Old Gold. But most of us here ordered our stones with the right to return them if we didn't decide to keep them. You are safe when you order an excellent cut stone, in my opinion. I ordered two from GOG and chose one to keep and sent the other back. It's easier than going to NY, unless you just have the extra miles, time, etc.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PCMusicGuy|1306502313|2931618 said:
Sharon, I did do an inventory "search all" here at pricescope. I have been doing so for the past few months and I just haven't been wowed by anything as I was by the GOG diamonds.

I have a local Tacori dealer that has been extremely helpful by looking for a diamond for me. Next week they are bringing in some kind of FireMark diamond for me to view. I don't much about them but they are supposed to be cut for light performance. If that still doesn't do anything, I'll be on my way to NY. Thanks. :D

Good for you doing your homework! Happy searching!

cheers--Sharon

charlottejw

Rough_Rock
I was looking for 2 carat princess stones (colorless range) a couple months ago and found that the supply seems to be quite limited once you start getting above 1.5 carats. I talked with BGD and they only have smaller (1.2c max) stones since they apparently dont sell very quickly (wonderful stones though). Whiteflash and GOG to me were the only 2 places that I found had the type of ideal light performance for the size that I wanted. Crafted by Infinity had some beautiful diamonds but they were a little out of my price range. I would reserve them if you really like them, the supply seems to be very limited in larger princess stones particularly in the colorless range.

I ended up going with GOG after I looked at a video of my diamond. Couldnt be happier. I think that once you start trying to compare the ASET images of the extreme top end stones it really is splitting hairs and the difference in person or in video to the "style" or "personality" of the stones will be much bigger than any minute differences in ASETs. Especially when you are talking about two different styles such as the Solasfera and more standard princess cut. I would see if they are willing to make a video and if there is no clear winner from that (or if you want to do it anyway) fly up there.

Good luck on your search, I have nothing but fantastic things to say about my diamond from GOG.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, I am another GOG customer and I have nothing but good things to say about them.
I refer my closest friends to them.

No, they are not the only game in town, but I know I'll win with them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results