shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Fluorescence Bad In Orange Diamond?

Is A Strong Yellow Fluorescence Bad In Orange Diamonds?

• Yes!

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No!

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Not Sure...

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PumpkinOrange

Rough_Rock
2017-09-16 04.45.26-1.jpg
Is a strong yellow fluorescence in an fancy vivid yellowish orange diamond bad?

Also is it normal for orange diamond to look different when viewed from different lighting conditions?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All diamonds, FCDs and white, look different in not only different lighting, but different environments.
This shouldn't be surprising; diamonds are little boxes of mirrors and windows.

IMO this chameleon quality keeps them interesting and surprising.

Do you own the above diamond ring, or are you considering buying it?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fluor can help or hurt an FCD.
It depends.
You have to see it for yourself in person, so buy from vendor with a good no questions asked return policy.

If fluor is the same color as the FCD it's more likely to help than hurt.
If a complimentary color it may hurt ... like blue fluor in an orange diamond or red fluor in a green diamond.

Fluor is only activated when the light source has enough UV, such as sunlight.
Indoor lighting rarely has enough UV to stimulate the fluor.

PumpkinOrange

Rough_Rock
Yes I own it I bought it from Leibish & Co.

I was just confused coz I've read in some articles that strong yellow fluorescence can make a vivid yellowish orange diamond look golden, some articles says it made it look pastel in color while other says it will make it look like a deep yellowish orange.

When I look at the diamond in sunlight it doesn't look hazy at all in fact I was expecting it to be a bit hazy but it is actually as transparent as my D-IF type IIa golconda quality diamond.

But I do notice that at some lighting environments this orange diamond look pale and kinda brownish or should I say paler orange until when I watched the video when Halle Berry accepted her Oscars wearing the Pumpkin Orange diamond looking like brownish & kinda pale at some lighting conditions even though GIA graded it as Fancy Vivid Orange none fluorescent Type IIa.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA's FCD grading of hues sometimes puzzles me.
Often a blue will get an Fancy Intense grade when it seems like a Fancy Blue grade would have been generous.
Very very often GIA oranges, even the uber-expensive pure orange with no modifiers, will have lots of brown in them.

Sometimes I suspect GIA just gets generous to compensate for how stingy nature is on certain hues.

PumpkinOrange

Rough_Rock
GIA's FCD grading of hues sometimes puzzles me.
Often a blue will get an Fancy Intense grade when it seems like a Fancy Blue grade would have been generous.
Very very often GIA oranges, even the uber-expensive pure orange with no modifiers, will have lots of brown in them.

Sometimes I suspect GIA just gets generous to compensate for how stingy nature is on certain hues.

You are right I guess the bow tie or light leakage such as in my case appears brownish or black and sometimes like a color hole. Do you think bow tie effect is such a negative in colored diamonds?

PumpkinOrange

Rough_Rock
You realise you can't post that sentence without posting pics? ;-) lol

The diamond is no longer with me coz I've sold it already last June. I have photos and vids of it on my deactivated FB that I could no longer access to coz I tend to forget my passwords.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are right I guess the bow tie or light leakage such as in my case appears brownish or black and sometimes like a color hole. Do you think bow tie effect is such a negative in colored diamonds?

In white or FC diamonds bowtie is the result of shapes (oval, pear, marquise) that forces the light to travel a longer path in one axis than the other.
To minimize or elimate it requires cutting a diamond down to very very narrow range of proportions ... which 'wastes' precious rough.
Final carat weight is VERY important when planning and polishing diamonds.
FCD rough is usually more expensive that white so accepting bowtie in FCDs usual.
Also it's nice when you find an FCD with little or no bowtie, but the price will likely be higher because of it.

Some people see bowtie as a negative, others just accept it since it usually goes along with the territory of curved non-symmetrical shapes.

PumpkinOrange

Rough_Rock
In white or FC diamonds bowtie is the result of shapes (oval, pear, marquise) that forces the light to travel a longer path in one axis than the other.
To minimize or elimate it requires cutting a diamond down to very very narrow range of proportions ... which 'wastes' precious rough.
Final carat weight is VERY important when planning and polishing diamonds.
FCD rough is usually more expensive that white so accepting bowtie in FCDs usual.
Also it's nice when you find an FCD with little or no bowtie, but the price will likely be higher because of it.

Some people see bowtie as a negative, others just accept it since it usually goes along with the territory of curved non-symmetrical shapes.
I've been eyeing two fancy deep orangy prink from Leibish & Co. I'm not sure which one should I focus my savings. One is a cheery while the other is maroon. To me the maroon looks more red than the cheery but I don't like brown in diamonds and maroon is brownish red right?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't answer since color is purely personal preference.

As long as you are only considering diamonds graded by GIA and sold by a reputable seller with a good return policy just buy what you find to be more desirable to you.

How desirable the market considers it to be will already be factored into the price.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your user name AND your pumpkin ring!

PumpkinOrange

Rough_Rock
I can't answer since color is purely personal preference.

As long as you are only considering diamonds graded by GIA and sold by a reputable seller with a good return policy just buy what you find to be more desirable to you.

How desirable the market considers it to be will already be factored into the price.

That's why I think fancy deep pink especially deep orangy pinks is quite a bargain considering they look like red diamonds and if it where Langerman Diamonds selling it they would have sold it in the 'Red Diamonds' category.

Both fancy deep orangy pink diamonds look different but I think I have to desire on the maroon coz it looks really red while the cheery looks like an unripened cheery. And it's even more tempting since Leibish & Co. have a mystery sale so I might as well agree to sell one of our house so I can get my share & spend it on this diamond. I believe once the Argyle mine closed these red looking pink diamonds would skyrocket in price in just a short period of time.

PumpkinOrange

Rough_Rock
I love your user name AND your pumpkin ring!

Thanks! It is indeed beautiful because it is a Leibish & Co. diamond. People who saw it are fascinated about it and they never knew orange diamonds exists until they saw my precious ring.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to see more photos of that orange diamond ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results