shape
carat
color
clarity

Is emailing a bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bschai

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am a first timer trying to shop for an engagement ring.

I tried emailing James Allen as well as Whiteflash, each specifically inquiring about one particular diamond with some questions.

In both case, in their first reply, they answered my questions as well as asking me to call them. It''s hard for me to find time to call them at the office during business hours. I tried calling them , but by that time I was free, it''s already past their office hours.

So I replied again in email asking more questions regarding a particular diamond and no longer get any reply from them.

I got an impression that they assumed I am not serious enough since I am only emailing them but not calling them.

Honestly, I am a bit disappointed with the lack of responsiveness in emails to potential buyer for something thtat cost so much.

Is it my problem i.e. emailing not showing enough interest to them) or is it a fact that if you want to get serious info or service, you better call them and show them you are very serious about buying from them?

It''s my first time dealing with online diamond vendors, so i would like some advice or techniques in dealing with them and on how to get a better level of service or response.

Thanks a lot.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is just hard to have detailed convos over email when you''re talking about something with so many variables like a diamond or ring. Almost all vendors would prefer to have conversations over the phone and some require it for certain detailed discussions.

If you let them know (especially John who posts here!) that you can''t call during business hours, I am willing to bet that they would be happy to accommodate you one way or another.

bschai

Rough_Rock
Of course, given a choice, I''ll want to call them too. In whiteflash case, I told them that it''s hard for me to call during office hours, I need to find a free time slot, find a quiet conference room etc.

But for the information that I needed, email should be sufficient, not to mentioned that I always reply email within a few hours which should show enough interests from my side.

I feel disappointed that I got much better email response from inquiring about $100 ebay item than from an online seller for a $10k+ diamond.

Well, I guess I''ll just have to call them sometime.
7.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
I hear you bschai. It IS disappointing, especially when you''re shopping for an engagement diamond, it''s very important stuff!

Did you email back to the same person that sent you the original email? or was it another fresh enquiry? Once you get established with a SA it''s easier to get some service. I like using email too for some fact based interactions. I have heard that these companies do get swamped with email enquiries and if the phone is ringing in their ears it must seem more urgent to pick up the phone than to ignore it and answer email. Not making excuses, just trying to help.

Try re-sending the email again. See if that helps. Otherwise if you can at least make the first phone call and get connected with someone and get their email address, it will be very much harder to get overlooked in the future.

Good luck!

a

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 5:43:22 PM
Author: neatfreak

If you let them know (especially John who posts here!) that you can't call during business hours, I am willing to bet that they would be happy to accommodate you one way or another.
Heck yes. We have phone coverage after-hours, but if we've missed you please arrange a time to speak via email... We keep pretty strange hours.

I suspect the other vendors here will accomodate such a request as well. Sometimes email can seem impersonal - and depending on what you're seeking a phone call can expedite the process - but we all want to communicate with you.

bschai

Rough_Rock
John,

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it.

I have called after hours and got answered, I got my general questions answered. I mentioned about my requirements. The person who answered my phone was courteous and told me that it''s after hours and i''d be better to talk to an expert on diamond. I mentioned that it''s hard for me to make phone calls during office hours so I was told that i''ll be emailed.

The next day I got a follow up email from white flash. After one round of email exchange I no longer got reply from him even though I was asking him few more questions in my last email.

I think phone call being a preferred method is one thing, not replying customer emails of inquiries is another.

Maybe the person is busy. I''ll give it a few more days to see if I get any reply from him.

Thanks.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 7:32:46 PM
Author: bschai

Maybe the person is busy. I'll give it a few more days to see if I get any reply from him.

Thanks.
You should not have to do that. If you don't get answered this weekend please ask for me the next time you call, if we remain on your list.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 5:39:36 PM
Author:bschai
Hi,

I am a first timer trying to shop for an engagement ring.

I tried emailing James Allen as well as Whiteflash, each specifically inquiring about one particular diamond with some questions.

In both case, in their first reply, they answered my questions as well as asking me to call them. It''s hard for me to find time to call them at the office during business hours. I tried calling them , but by that time I was free, it''s already past their office hours.

So I replied again in email asking more questions regarding a particular diamond and no longer get any reply from them.

I got an impression that they assumed I am not serious enough since I am only emailing them but not calling them.

Honestly, I am a bit disappointed with the lack of responsiveness in emails to potential buyer for something thtat cost so much.

Is it my problem i.e. emailing not showing enough interest to them) or is it a fact that if you want to get serious info or service, you better call them and show them you are very serious about buying from them?

It''s my first time dealing with online diamond vendors, so i would like some advice or techniques in dealing with them and on how to get a better level of service or response.

Thanks a lot.
Hi bschai,

Dont give up......John Quixote has offered his assistance and he will take care of it, if the other person does not respond. I used Lesley when I encountered the same problem and everything turned out great. Buying from WhiteFlash was the best jewelry buying experience that I have ever had.

Also, JA has a great reputation as well.....dont give up.....Buying from a PS vendor is what I did and would do again!!!

Good Luck and tell us what you do
MWG

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I honestly think emailing is fine. I just worked with Good Old Gold for my upgrade and I don''t think I spoke to anyone on the phone until the very end when we discussed payment. I never had any problems emailing them. They always replied very quickly, always the same day as long as their office/store was open.

bschai

Rough_Rock
Thank you John, and all of you :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results