shape
carat
color
clarity

Is decaf coffee bad for you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am trying to cut down on my coffee (caffeine) intake. I went for a physical, doctor saw I''m slightly anemic, suggested I cut down. I thought I only drank a cup a day but she laughed when I showed her what I was considering to be a cup (a large size coffee from a local deli).

So I cut down to a medium (I know, no big difference) and on certain days I abstain completely. But I really enjoy my coffee and miss it when I don''t have it, and lately I haven''t been as consistent with abstaining.

My family was suggesting decaf and part of me was like, now, why didn''t I think of that? But I am pretty SURE my doctor advised me against decaf although I cannot remember for sure. It just doesn''t make sense that I wouldnt'' think of such an obvious replacement. Anyway, I did some quick research on the Internet and it looks like studies suggest that the process of decaffeination is pretty unhealthy because of all the chemicals they use. So it''s slowly coming back to me that I may have researched this before, maybe even a long time ago, and that''s why I had written off decaffeinated coffee.

Was just wondering if any of you know anything about this? Or if you have any suggestions?

April20

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know a whole lot about it, but just did a quick google search myself. Found articles that say it''s bad, some that say it''s not so bad.

At the end of the day, I think like most things, research comes out every few years that swing from one direction to the other. At the end of the day, if you drink it in moderation, you''ll be fine. Moderation in relation to what is healthy for you, of course. Very typically, it''s consuming things in excess that causes issues.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get decaffeinated coffee that isn''t decaffeinated using chemicals.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I''m not sure why you don''t try cutting down to a small cup?

Small/short-8 oz
Medium/tall-12 oz
Large/grande-16 oz
XL/venti-20 oz!!!!

Going from your old large to a small cuts your caffeine in half.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys...

I thought about the water-decaffeinated coffees...some say the flavor isn''t as good...but it''s better than chemicals. I just didn''t want this to be complicated - I wanted to pick up Dunkin'' Donuts decaf and be done with it, not have to start researching all kinds of things.

Oh well - there aren''t a lot of options here - I was hoping one of you would have some kind of answer that would just allow me to keep drinking my regular coffee. haha I don''t want to go down to a small
39.gif
but it looks like cutting down in size is the best of both worlds.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Decaf might be bad for you. I stopped using it and had an improvement to my cholesterol numbers. My cholesteral is low, something like 130, but the problem was that my HDL cholestrol was lower than what my doctor wanted. I stopped decaf and did some other things too and now the HDL is very good.

I read somewhere that if you take decaf you need to be sure it is filtered through paper to prevent some of the bad things coming through. Anyhow, decaf is not completely safe from what I read/hear.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
A lot of people have food intolerances to coffee and it has nothing to do with the caffeine.

I can only have a small cup once in a blue moon or it gives me terrible migraines. My brother gets extremely ill if he drinks/eats coffee or chocolate.

I would honestly suggest cutting your intake rather than switching to a decaff. It can be hard as coffee is highly addictive, and if you do have an intolerance it tends to be for the things you REALLY like and crave, so I do feel for you.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the advice and support guys.

Today I made 4 cups of coffee using two spoons of regular hazelnut DK coffee (delicious!
3.gif
) and two spoons of decaf DK. I drank about 2 of the cups.

When I go through the decaf DK I bought I''ll probably just cut down on how much I consume rather than switching to decaf.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 4:33:37 PM
Author: Beacon
Decaf might be bad for you. I stopped using it and had an improvement to my cholesterol numbers. My cholesteral is low, something like 130, but the problem was that my HDL cholestrol was lower than what my doctor wanted. I stopped decaf and did some other things too and now the HDL is very good.

I read somewhere that if you take decaf you need to be sure it is filtered through paper to prevent some of the bad things coming through. Anyhow, decaf is not completely safe from what I read/hear.
Yikes! I drink decaf, 2 cups, every morning because I can''t take caffeine. It gives me the shakes, literally!

I don''t think I can give up coffeee entirely. I love the taste far too much. If it weren''t for the caffeine, I''d be drinking it all day instead of water!

When you say "filtered", do you mean that once the coffee is brewed, then I pour it through some kind of filter paper (like the one you use for drip coffee)?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 4:07:28 AM
Author: Phoenix

Date: 3/31/2009 4:33:37 PM
Author: Beacon

Yikes! I drink decaf, 2 cups, every morning because I can''t take caffeine. It gives me the shakes, literally!

I don''t think I can give up coffeee entirely. I love the taste far too much. If it weren''t for the caffeine, I''d be drinking it all day instead of water!

When you say ''filtered'', do you mean that once the coffee is brewed, then I pour it through some kind of filter paper (like the one you use for drip coffee)?
Hi Phoenix!

I''d like to know the answer to your question too!

BTW - I am in the middle of drinking my medium regular coffee from the deli -
38.gif
hahahaha But it''s so GOOD! Tomorrow I will brew my own and do the half regular/half decaf thing. At least I''m trying!
9.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Here is an article about cholesterol and decaf:

http://www.theheart.org/article/607549.do

What I have also read is that filtering the decaf through a paper filter (just like a Melita) will help take out some of the bad fats. Overall I just totally cut back the decaf to less than 1x per week. I did get an improvement in my HDL levels. Could be coincidence, but I am staying away from daily decaf now. I got into drinking white tea instead.

Here's an article about the paper filter thing:

http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/2004nl/040700pucoffee.htm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results