shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Cut good enough to mask Color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NDIrishdogg

Rough_Rock
Hey all, I''ve been lurking on here for awhile and finally have gotten to a point in my e-ring shopping where I need to come out from the shadows and ask for advice from those more knowledgeable than myself. I''m considering the following diamond and have a concern about how it will look color-wise in a platinum setting. Any thoughts on whether the I color is too low to face up well would be greatly appreciated.

AGS0
Weight: .8 ct
Color: I
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 57%
Crown: 34.8 degrees
Pavillion: 40.7 degrees
Culet None

So will the cut be good enough to brighten up the I color or should I keep looking?

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
The cut can mask the color face up. However, if you have a mounting that exposes the pavilion, it would be a good idea to get a better color.

I suppose I color would be good for settings that cover most of the pavilion, or earrings per se, where nobody really looks at the side.

Another consideration would be when you intend to wear the diamond. If it is for daily wear, a good color would be a good idea since the color is most obvious in bright daylight. In darker settings like cocktail parties, or restaurants, I doubt that anyone, save for the super sensitive, can make out the difference between a D and an I. I certainly can't.

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
Completely agree with Kevinng but also just wanted to add it might be a good idea to go look at some diamonds in person. Everyone's color perception is somewhat different. There was a recent thread from someone who could tell the difference between F and G face up. I don't think it's common but i'd look at some well-cut Is to see if they're white enough for you.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Face up, a good cut will make a J look like a G...but from the side, especially if it is a large (1 ct+) stone, you will see color. I just saw an ideal cut J that held its own against a G but from the side I could see a yellow tint plain as day. This was still a great stone--color in a very subjective and individual thing. Only YOU can determine what your tolerance is. Go look at as many stones as you can and decide what you prefer.

1.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everyone about looking at stones of different color grades. I am one of those over-sensitive color types, and I looked at some I color stones at GOG and was amazed how white they faced up. I could tell it wasn't icy white, but did rival a G color. If you are planning on a very open setting, however, you will probably see a yellow tint from the side. Some of that depends whether it's a strong or weak I, meaning closer to an H or closer to a J... Good luck!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results