shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Color E With Strong Blue A Bad Choice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

silverbimmer

Rough_Rock

Hello all,

I am in the process of buying an engagement ring, and this is what I found so far:

-Carat weight: 1.08
-Cut: Very Good
-Color: E
-Clarity: VS2
-Depth %: 62.9%
-Table %: 55%
-Symmetry: Very good
-Polish: Excellent
-Girdle: Thin to slightly thick
-Culet: None
-Fluorescence: Strong
-Measurements: 6.55x6.62x4.14 mm
Price : $ 7,200 USD

First of all, should I concern about 'Strong Blue' fluorescence with color E? Also, do you think this is a good price?

Thanks very much,

Derek

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! As long as the stone doesn''t look milky, the flourescence is nothing to worry about. I think of it as an added attraction.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I personally think this is a bit of a high price. Usually D, E, and F colored stones are discounted if they have fluorescence. This doesn''t seem to have any price discount. Also, if this is a round stone, it''s a bit on the deep side. I think you could do better if you haven''t already bought it.

silverbimmer

Rough_Rock

Thanks Gabrielle. However, I won''t able to tell if it will be milky or not since I am dealing with an online vendor. Do you have any suggestion? Thanks again.

Derek

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
The vendor can tell you if the stone appears milky or not before sending it to you. Also, I just wanted to make another suggestion. If you''re going to spend $7200 for a stone that may or may not be well cut, why don''t you just get an ideal cut stone. Depending on how low you''re willing to go in color and clarity, you could get a H&A stone for maybe less money or just a bit more. Here''s some of my favorites:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/a-cut-above-h-a-cut-diamond-754540.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/a-cut-above-h-a-cut-diamond-754542.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/a-cut-above-h-a-cut-diamond-2173445.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/a-cut-above-h-a-cut-diamond-499524.htm

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Derek,

DO NOT be put of by Fluorescence. I bought a diamond for the very first time with fluorescence last year...I absolutely love it.

There are so many conflicting opinions on this, so talk to the vendor, and check what the returns policy is.

I think you might just love it.....there are diamonds with fluor that have a milky/oliy appearance, but they are very few and far between. Fluorescence is supposed to offset the 'yellowish tinge' in lower colored diamonds.

My diamond is near colorless and is very sharp. The only time i can see any fluorescence is when the lighting is very, very low. I can see a very faint liliac hue. (but i don't look at my ring much whilst in bed....well sometimes i do)

and for the spec, the price seems reasonable.

Who is the vendor?

Blod
35.gif

silverbimmer

Rough_Rock
Hi coda72,

Thanks for your suggestion, I will ask the vednor to see if the dimonad will appear milky or not.

Regards,

Derek

silverbimmer

Rough_Rock

Hi Blod,

Thanks for your reply. Bluenile is the vendor I would like to make my purchase. Do they have a good reputation?

Regards,

Derek

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Strong fluorescence is a negative. There''s no way to paint a rosy picture on the merits of UV fluorescence when any future transaction with this stone will incur this criticism from a potential buyer. Even if the fluourescence means nothing visually, it is an arguing point which every buyer will need and want to exploit. If the diamond is priced right now, with the fluorescence taken into account, then you are okay provided you like the looks of the stone. Even if the fluorescence makes the stone a little cloudy, you may like it a lot. I wear one that becomes quite blue in sunlight and clouds up nearly totally. Go figure!

The side diamonds on my wife''s big rock are 3/4 ct each rounds with very strong blue UV fluorescence. They darn near glow in daylight. I found them distinctively differerent and I sort of go for the stranger stuff.....jaded tastes, I suppose. Anyway, fluorescence will always "count", but you can choose to like the effect. Just don''t confuse the financial side of diamonds with the beauty and apprearance parts. ALWAYS buy ones YOU like and NEVER buy a diamond you dislike or have doubts about. There are plenty variations to choose from.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Derek,

I have never bought from them personally, but if they have a good returns policy, then there is nothing like seeing it with your own eyes. That''s the real acid test.

You''re spending a lot of money, so take your time, and make sure you get what you''re looking for.

Best wishes....Blod
35.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/28/2005 2:10:35 PM
Author: oldminer
Strong fluorescence is a negative.
I''m glad someone will stand up and say that. It''s even more of a negative with high-color stones. Even with absolutely no effect on appearance.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/28/2005 2:03:10 PM
Author: silverbimmer

Bluenile is the vendor I would like to make my purchase.

Is there any particular reason why you must buy from Blue Nile? Their prices don''t seem to be as good as other vendors here. Also, cut is the most important thing when buying a diamond, and the one you picked out already doesn''t appear as if it''s cut too well. If you''re set on buying from Blue Nile, I would check out their signature collection to ensure that you are getting a well-cut diamond.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2005 3:46:00 PM
Author: elmo

Date: 12/28/2005 2:10:35 PM
Author: oldminer
Strong fluorescence is a negative.
I''m glad someone will stand up and say that. It''s even more of a negative with high-color stones. Even with absolutely no effect on appearance.
Not a negative with my stone. It faces up significantly whiter & was cheaper. Even if it was more expensive, I wouldn''t buy a stone without it.

The thing is - it''s a negative based on nothing. I think the "stand" should be - challenge the dinosaur industry to not see it always as a negative. But, I wouldn''t like to see that happen since I''m always in the market to buy.
28.gif
3.gif

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE my D with strong blue fluoresence.

You know, stones with fluor used to sell for a premium - they were highly sought after. Now there is an (undeserved) negativity associated with it, IMHO.

Perhaps fluoresence will come back into favor - just look at clothing trends!

Here''s a link to a study done by GIA re: fluoresence. Very enlightning. Everyone should read it - experts included.
34.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love diamonds wih stong blue as long as they are not milky and are properly graded in non-uv light. ie AGS certs or vendor/appraiser checked without uv GIA certs.
But in todays market I want my discount on em :}
win-win :}

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
I have an E colored stone with a medium blue flourescence and I love it. I don''t have a professionally trained eye, but cannot detect anything bad about it. I love the stone. Let us know what you end up choosing!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have a problem with the strong blue fluorescence, since I just bought a G colored stone with medium blue fluorescence, but I''m just wondering why all the replies to the OP are focusing on that instead of the fact that he picked out a stone which is most likely not well cut. Since it seems all of us here are concerned about the cut of the stone as a number one priority, we should be helping this person buy the best cut stone possible instead of worrying so much about the fluorescence.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My center stone is an E and has medium blue fluoresence. I love it. But that said you need to make sure the strong blue won''t make the stone appear miky etc.. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2005 2:16:38 PM
Author: coda72
I don''t have a problem with the strong blue fluorescence, since I just bought a G colored stone with medium blue fluorescence, but I''m just wondering why all the replies to the OP are focusing on that instead of the fact that he picked out a stone which is most likely not well cut. Since it seems all of us here are concerned about the cut of the stone as a number one priority, we should be helping this person buy the best cut stone possible instead of worrying so much about the fluorescence.
This is the first thing I noticed...

That stone doesn''t look like it would be the best cut stone just from the numbers.

Forget the fluor on this stone, but pass on the stone and keep looking. There are better stones out there. Especially for that price!

silverbimmer

Rough_Rock

Hello all,

Thanks so much for all your input. I did some readings on this site and realized that the measurement is not very good. So, here is the new one I found, do you think this is a better diamond?

- Carat weight: 1.09
- Cut: Ideal
- Color: E
- Clarity: VS2
- Depth %: 60.9%
- Table %: 57%
- Symmetry: Very good
- Polish: Excellent
- Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
- Culet: None
- Fluorescence: Medium blue
- Measurements: 6.60x6.64x4.03 mm
- Price: $7250 USD

Thanks again,

Derek

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results