shape
carat
color
clarity

Is basket absolutely necessary?

kel12345

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Our diamond has officially been purchased (yay) and now we are finalizing my solitaire setting. I’ve decided on a 4 prong platinum setting for my 3.51ct round diamond. I got the CAD design back and I’m a bit conflicted. Originally I wanted 6 prongs but I don’t love the heavier metal look from the side so I changed to 4 prong to allow more light in. My jeweler told me she highly recommended to add a “basket” if I go the 4 prong route to provide more stability/for safety reasons. I have coworkers who have a similar setting and similar carat weight 4 prong (no basket) that they have been wearing for 25 + years with no issues so they questioned if it was necessary. Would love some input, is it absolutely necessary to add the basket? The whole reason I wanted the 4 prong was less metal. She DID say the basket would be more delicate in person versus on the CAD.
Attaching the CAD as well as what the prongs will look like in real life (just with only 4). Thank you!!!! nichooles Cortez2.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6208.jpeg
    IMG_6208.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 50

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Necessary is subjective...some people will want the safety of a basket and to them it is necessary. Others take out insurance
and get the less safe but more in line with their vision 4 prongs.

Edit...for me I would do the basket but most likely do 6 prongs because I prefer the way 6 prongs look on a round stone.
Badly done 4 prongs can make a stone look more square. (yours will probably be nicely done though).

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello, kel12345!
Just a quick note to address one thing;
"Letting more light in" through the prongs isn't necessary since a well cut and proportioned diamond gathers light in from the top, reflects it around inside, then the light exits back out the top back to the viewer's eyes. If you want the security of 6 prongs no basket, then go for it.

Last edited:

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone! Our diamond has officially been purchased (yay) and now we are finalizing my solitaire setting. I’ve decided on a 4 prong platinum setting for my 3.51ct round diamond. I got the CAD design back and I’m a bit conflicted. Originally I wanted 6 prongs but I don’t love the heavier metal look from the side so I changed to 4 prong to allow more light in. My jeweler told me she highly recommended to add a “basket” if I go the 4 prong route to provide more stability/for safety reasons. I have coworkers who have a similar setting and similar carat weight 4 prong (no basket) that they have been wearing for 25 + years with no issues so they questioned if it was necessary. Would love some input, is it absolutely necessary to add the basket? The whole reason I wanted the 4 prong was less metal. She DID say the basket would be more delicate in person versus on the CAD.
Attaching the CAD as well as what the prongs will look like in real life (just with only 4). Thank you!!!! nichooles Cortez2.jpeg

I had a four prong setting (platinum) without a basket and unfortunately, it was not very stable. It came loose three times within the first couple months, and a new jeweler I consulted suggested adding a rail, or basket, would make it much safer. I ended up changing the setting completely to a semi-bezel.

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
There are so many beautiful and delicate 6 prong solitaires on here. Would you reconsider?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
How active are you with your hands as compared to your coworkers with comparable rings? How diligent will you be about getting your prongs checked? Do you own a loupe at home - you’ll be able to inspect stuff on your own with one.

Your jeweler is just being cautious, as are PSers here. However, it’s a matter of taste - in terms of aesthetic as well as risk. You can always cautiously try out your 4 prong platinum plan and be on the lookout for possible problems, all with the knowledge that you might have to change settings down the line.

Are you able to see some baskets in person? Things always look different off the flat CAD renderings.

I personally have a 2.17 cushion with 4-prongs and rail. I initially balked at the rail, but he really did make it delicate. Good luck!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello, kel12345!
"Letting more light in" through the prongs isn't necessary since a well cut and proportioned diamond gathers light in from the top, reflects it around inside, then the light exits back out the top back to the viewer's eyes. If you want the security of 6 prongs no basket, then go for it.

+1 on both counts.

DK :))

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you might be okay without a rail, but I'm more concerned that the head is only connected to the shank by a single point rather than being more integrated with the shank. With all the metal being so thin, a good whack might bend or break the head.

kel12345

Rough_Rock
I think you might be okay without a rail, but I'm more concerned that the head is only connected to the shank by a single point rather than being more integrated with the shank. With all the metal being so thin, a good whack might bend or break the head.

Would your fears be eliminated if I went with the rail? Thanks Kim for your advice!

kel12345

Rough_Rock
Hello, kel12345!

Hi thank you for always giving such good advice! That is interesting, I did not know this!! That does make me feel better. I personally just don’t love the look of the 6 prongs from the side (from the top i think it’s beautiful) sounds like you are voting to get the basket if I go 4 prong route. She did mention If I was really against the basket she could make prongs thicker but I’m not sure if that’s a good idea?

kel12345

Rough_Rock
There are so many beautiful and delicate 6 prong solitaires on here. Would you reconsider?

You are totally right! I was reconsidering last night but after looking around at more pictures, I really love 6 prongs from the top (I think it’s beautiful and really makes the diamond look more round) but it’s just not what I want when looking at it from the side. Which is a bummer because I always imagined 6 prongs, however I strongly feel like I need to go with my gut and do 4 prongs.

kel12345

Rough_Rock
I had a four prong setting (platinum) without a basket and unfortunately, it was not very stable. It came loose three times within the first couple months, and a new jeweler I consulted suggested adding a rail, or basket, would make it much safer. I ended up changing the setting completely to a semi-bezel.

Darn, well I guess that is what my jeweler is afraid of! Would you mind sharing a photo of your ring? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a semi-bezel? Thank you!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would your fears be eliminated if I went with the rail? Thanks Kim for your advice!

I think the rail would add stability to the prongs themselves but would not help the junction point between the head and the shank.

Something like this would be more secure for that connection point.

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
You are totally right! I was reconsidering last night but after looking around at more pictures, I really love 6 prongs from the top (I think it’s beautiful and really makes the diamond look more round) but it’s just not what I want when looking at it from the side. Which is a bummer because I always imagined 6 prongs, however I strongly feel like I need to go with my gut and do 4 prongs.

Your opinion and what you want matters the most! The basket is probably being recommended to help support the 4 prong design and protect your stone. I can’t wait to see your finished ring.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Darn, well I guess that is what my jeweler is afraid of! Would you mind sharing a photo of your ring? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a semi-bezel? Thank you!

Sure! I had the new setting done by Sholdt.

Attachments

• IMG_6003.jpeg
    IMG_6003.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5998.jpeg
    IMG_5998.jpeg
    297.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5995.jpeg
    IMG_5995.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 28

kel12345

Rough_Rock
Your opinion and what you want matters the most! The basket is probably being recommended to help support the 4 prong design and protect your stone. I can’t wait to see your finished ring.

Yes, it seems that’s the only reason, thank you!!

kel12345

Rough_Rock
I think the rail would add stability to the prongs themselves but would not help the junction point between the head and the shank.

Something like this would be more secure for that connection point.

Thanks! I probably need to do the basket. That’s what it’s sounding like!

kel12345

Rough_Rock
My jeweler said she could do it without the basket but would have to make prongs significantly thicker, does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for the help!!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
The whole point is to prevent one prong from being bent so much that the stone falls out. This is solved with either a rail or a thicker prong.

Personally, my ring has 4 prongs and a delicate basket. I'd send pics, but I'm away from home at the moment.

I've never been a fan of thick prongs. With a stone your size, you want to engineer a prong that won't bend back.

And as others have said here, light doesn't really enter the stone from the side, so a rail won't interfere with optics. The light you see enters from the top and is reflected back to the eye of the beholder.

I know I'm completely biased, but what matters most is that you like your ring! Choose what will make your heart sing every time you look at it!
Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 6.17.55 PM.png

Prong-setting.png

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
, I really love 6 prongs from the top (I think it’s beautiful and really makes the diamond look more round) but it’s just not what I want when looking at it from the side

Which part of the side view do you not like about the 6 prong? If it's the prong right in the middle of the profile view, have you considered doing a 6 prong with the prongs rotated so that the side view is open? It's not everybody's cup of tea, but an option to consider.

1700008218282.png

Speaking for myself, I am very clumsy and rough on my hands, plus i work with my hands in my job so the rail/basket on my 4 prong was a must-have for peace of mind. My friend has a high set 4 prong (the exact one in the last post actually) without the side rail and while on a boat this summer the ladder accidentally got dropped on her hand, hit her ring, and completely bent the prongs and she ALMOST lost her stone in the lake. The prongs on that are fairly sturdy, but I can't imagine what would've happened if she had thinner prongs... *Tragedy*

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results