shape
carat
color
clarity

Is an Upgrade Policy a Blessing & a Curse?

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
More questions from me! I'm curious how people feel about having a generous upgrade policy like with WF and CBI. Since it is so easy to upgrade, do you find yourself always wanting more and planning for it? Does that make you feel dissatisfied or is it a fun "problem" to have? Are there unexpected drawbacks to having an upgrade policy that you didn't realize at first? I would think the lost money each time you need to change your setting could be one.

I would love to hear about people's personal upgrade stories. After plenty of jewelry mistakes I'm trying to learn from my own and others as I go forward.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
More questions from me! I'm curious how people feel about having a generous upgrade policy like with WF and CBI. Since it is so easy to upgrade, do you find yourself always wanting more and planning for it? Does that make you feel dissatisfied or is it a fun "problem" to have? Are there unexpected drawbacks to having an upgrade policy that you didn't realize at first? I would think the lost money each time you need to change your setting could be one.

I would love to hear about people's personal upgrade stories. After plenty of jewelry mistakes I'm trying to learn from my own and others as I go forward.

It is both a blessing and a curse haha! I kept my original setting from 2015 but had to change the head to accommodate a bigger diamond in 2018. Kept the same setting again in 2019. Now I’m changing to a 6 prong. I feel I had a good run with the original setting.

I try to avoid coming to PS too often when I’m not ready to upgrade again to help mitigate the feeling of needing to upgrade NOW hahhaa. Hope that helps giving you some insight ;-).

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be Sooooo tempted! But at a certain price point, I would tap out. So there’s also that to consider. I didn’t know about these vendors until I was heavily invested in one of my first stones. By the time I discovered them and considered them, I would have taken a significant loss to shift over to these vendors. So I rationalized that I would tap out sooner than later to utilize the upgrade policy. Things worked out in the end bc my b&m jeweler allowed me to upgrade in small increments and I can definitely say I have my holy grail diamond and will not be upgrading—not to a round anyway. I have a 2.9 E si1 and it’s fabulous! I can’t touch that color and Size in a super ideal at the price I paid—and bc I am mind clean about my stone—I don’t have any regrets about not going super ideal branded diamond. If I ever do upgrade—it will be an emerald cut—which is not necessarily a specialty cut by these vendors. I
Oh! I want to add that my sister just got her first and last ACA—the woman will not even consider upgrading!! She has a 1.94 I VS2 and would be offended if I even suggested the idea! She is indeed not a pricescoper, that’s for sure! I think we serial upgraders live here!

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you get a peg head, you only have to change that out and you can keep your same setting

I think the upgrade policy is worthwhile if you’re the kind of person who will chop and change / go bigger and bigger (in an MRB) and is not particularly sentimental about the original stone. For example, the pattern in my social circles that I’ve seen is to stick to the ring you were proposed to with, and if you do want bigger, at a much later significant anniversary or birthday to perhaps buy a much bigger stone and wear both. Or to have multiple engagement rings. But I don’t know a single person who traded their e-ring back. At best they wore it as a pendant, or gave it to their son to propose with. So I can’t see the upgrade policy making a lot of sense here, since it’s something that’s “not done”.

I like the idea that you’re able to easily recoup what you paid, since an upgrade policy is the best way to get trade in value. However, the cost of the upgrade policy is built into the price of every stone, so if you dont utilise it that’s money you’ve paid unnecessarily. Super ideals are at a premium not just because of the extra wasted rough it takes to cut for precision, but also because the sellers have excellent upgrade and return policies. I think “grass is greener” syndrome exists amongst people in varying amounts anyway, so having a way to mitigate it isn’t bad as long as it doesn’t impact someone mentally in a bad way.

So the biggest pro is the ability to swap out your MRB as much as you like (given that they have adequate inventory, at a certain size that won’t be available/will be unaffordable at the premium)

The biggest con is price related - having to get a new setting / head for your setting (dependent on the diameter difference between old/new and the tolerances of your setting). Also that you’re only able to go for MRBs pretty much.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
If you get a peg head, you only have to change that out and you can keep your same setting

That's a good point! Of course all the settings I find most beautiful do not have peg heads.

I think the upgrade policy is worthwhile if you’re the kind of person who will chop and change / go bigger and bigger (in an MRB) and is not particularly sentimental about the original stone. For example, the pattern in my social circles that I’ve seen is to stick to the ring you were proposed to with, and if you do want bigger, at a much later significant anniversary or birthday to perhaps buy a much bigger stone and wear both. Or to have multiple engagement rings. But I don’t know a single person who traded their e-ring back. At best they wore it as a pendant, or gave it to their son to propose with. So I can’t see the upgrade policy making a lot of sense here, since it’s something that’s “not done”.

I like the idea that you’re able to easily recoup what you paid, since an upgrade policy is the best way to get trade in value. However, the cost of the upgrade policy is built into the price of every stone, so if you dont utilise it that’s money you’ve paid unnecessarily. Super ideals are at a premium not just because of the extra wasted rough it takes to cut for precision, but also because the sellers have excellent upgrade and return policies. I think “grass is greener” syndrome exists amongst people in varying amounts anyway, so having a way to mitigate it isn’t bad as long as it doesn’t impact someone mentally in a bad way.

So the biggest pro is the ability to swap out your MRB as much as you like (given that they have adequate inventory, at a certain size that won’t be available/will be unaffordable at the premium)

The biggest con is price related - having to get a new setting / head for your setting (dependent on the diameter difference between old/new and the tolerances of your setting). Also that you’re only able to go for MRBs pretty much.

Agree.

Plus, I see my e-ring as representing a specific time in my life. I feel silly replacing it with something "better." Instead, personally I'd rather get a new shiny if and when I can afford it :D

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock

I still have my original diamond. I would never trade it In. My husband suggested to make it into an pendant so that’s what I did. I wear it everyday.

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm not particularly sentimental about it, but I've had my ACA for almost nine years and I've never looked into upgrading. My ring is perfect for me. I've put my jewelry budget towards collecting other pieces in that time and I think that I enjoy looking at amazing diamonds on other peoples hands as much as on my own.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a good point! Of course all the settings I find most beautiful do not have peg heads.

I’m using a peg head until I get where I’m going, then will set in permanent setting.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It can be tantalizing and tempting! It also provides such a comfort inasmuch as you never have to be ‘stuck’ with a diamond.

For those who have had a diamond that wanted larger, fell out of love with the size or color, or just had a change of heart that had no recourse but to sell at a loss, they definitely get it. The trade in policy may be something that you never use but boy it is pretty special to have that ability!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like some people said, it depends. If you're super sentimental and would NEVER want to part with your original ering, then yeah, a great upgrade option does nothing for you. And if you're not permanently attached to your stone, then hey, it's a smart option. And if you stay on PS, even smarter. Good luck!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
It can be tantalizing and tempting! It also provides such a comfort inasmuch as you never have to be ‘stuck’ with a diamond.

This is such an important point that is not often raised. For overthinking perfectionists like me (and, it seems, many on PS), just the knowledge that I can change helps me to accept and enjoy a diamond without the pressure for it to be everything I ever wanted.

Similarly I went for a simple WG temp setting for my new diamond and am surprised how much I love it. For me at least, it's liberating to get out of the "it must last a lifetime" mindset. It's nice to have options and choices :)

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
It's a marketing and selling instrument, which brings good money. Otherwise they would not do it. For buyers it can be a blessing indeed, if they don't grow attached to a stone and already know they won't stick with the original. I can relate fo example when diamond stud earrings are concerned. However, not for an engagement ring. For me the ring is still very much related to the act of proposing and or a statement to say yes to the other. It is very symbolic in that way and nothing I think can just be replaced. I'd much rather like another ring for an anniversary but would never let go of the first one. But this is not the same for everyone and that's ok.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the upgrade policy. I'm on my 3rd stone, and as for the setting I use the cheapest I can ($320) find. My last upgrade was from an H color to a G color so I just reuse the old setting since the stones were basically the same diameter. If in the future I decide to upgrade the size then I'll just buy another $320 titanium tension setting. Trashing a $320 setting will hurt way less than trashing my original $2100 palladium setting...;(

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
For my engagement ring it's a complete non-issue to me. I can't imagine ever giving up or trading in the engagement my husband put so much love, time, and thought into getting for me. No other ring would ever have the memories of the time we spent finding just the right stone that fit what we both wanted, of finding just the right setting, and of him having to take it away from me when we stopped in the grocery store after picking it up so I wouldn't put it on myself in the middle of Harris Teeter. :bigsmile:

However, down the road I might upgrade a .60 ACA pendant I've had for years. I'd love to hit the 6mm mark there.

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
IMHO A GOOD upgrade policy from a GOOD vendor is a blessing.

The diamond from my original e-ring is from Bluenile. It is 0.5 ct but very sparky. I get a lot of compliments even from random strangers. Then I upgrade to a 1 ct. it just didn't look good. For the longest time I didn't understand why, I picked everything EX. Now I know why. For my next upgrade to 2 ct, I didn't want to take a chance. I saw a few CBI diamonds (including the one that I ended up buying), my 1 ct was no comparison to them. I switch to CBI. I took a loss traded in the 1 ct to CBI. I have no regrets.

You get what you paid for. I think the upgrade policy as an insurance policy. We pay for house/car/etc insurance, it make sense we paid a premium for a diamond with a good upgrade policy.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
IMHO A GOOD upgrade policy from a GOOD vendor is a blessing.

The diamond from my original e-ring is from Bluenile. It is 0.5 ct but very sparky. I get a lot of compliments even from random strangers. Then I upgrade to a 1 ct. it just didn't look good. For the longest time I didn't understand why, I picked everything EX. Now I know why. For my next upgrade to 2 ct, I didn't want to take a chance. I saw a few CBI diamonds (including the one that I ended up buying), my 1 ct was no comparison to them. I switch to CBI. I took a loss traded in the 1 ct to CBI. I have no regrets.

You get what you paid for. I think the upgrade policy as an insurance policy. We pay for house/car/etc insurance, it make sense we paid a premium for a diamond with a good upgrade policy.

Thanks for sharing your story! Were you able to directly trade in your BN stone to HPD for the CBI?

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your comments, I've really enjoyed reading through them! I'm actually already on my 3rd stone but I still have my original setting, so kind of sentimental, kind of not! I'll probably eventually start another thread about my upgrade dilemmas to hopefully get some opinions on my path forward.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results