shape
carat
color
clarity

Is an SI3 really bad?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Carats

Shiny_Rock
How bad is an SI3? or SI2? I can never really tell in the round brilliant cuts if there are occlusions from a nonmagnified distance? does the clarity get in the way of the shine or sparkle? anyone have any pictures or examples?

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I typed in "si3" in the search window at top right, and there were a lot of threads about it. Might try that for ideas...
1.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's bad if it impacts performance or presents a durability risk.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t believe that GIA or AGS recognize a SI3 grade, so you may want to consider SI3 as I1.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2007 7:45:47 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I don''t believe that GIA or AGS recognize a SI3 grade, so you may want to consider SI3 as I1.
yes I don''t think they do, so an I1 it would be by their grading....

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who graded your stone, EGL? I''d be more concerned about the cert than the clarity if you''ve seen the stone and the inclusions don''t bother you.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Usu it is considered about at Si3/I1 is where you start worrying about possible interference with sparkle from inclusions. If you have seen the SI3 with your own eyes and you like it, and it is something off to the side that you can prong, then you could certainly consider it. Ditto about the SI3 is not recognized by AGS or GIA - the original reason EGL started the SI3 was reportedly to help consumers pick the best of the I1s (although others say it is to sell more I1s for more money!). I have seen some actually very nice SI3s (even eyeclean), but have also seen some really nasty ones that look like dried white paste - they are definitely on a case by case basis.
The price point on an si3 for all intents and purposes would be an I1 price max (provided it really is an si3/i1, and not really an i2 or i3)

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
An SI3 is for most practical purposes an I1 GIA. Maybe a good I1, but not a lot better. The inclusions may not be readily seen by your eyes, but they will have some impact on performance. How much is up to the particular inclusions in an individual stone, but they will have some measureable effect if one directly measures instead of calculating based on parametric grading.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/1/2007 6:43:36 PM
Author:Carats
How bad is an SI3? or SI2? I can never really tell in the round brilliant cuts if there are occlusions from a nonmagnified distance? does the clarity get in the way of the shine or sparkle? anyone have any pictures or examples?
An SI3 is not bad except when in reality it''s an I 1. Which it usually is. If you ever decide to trade in or sell, expect
your diamond to be treated as an I1. I''ve seen a few SI3''s recently that are strong I1''s.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

clammer

Shiny_Rock
I just helped my mom upgrade her diamond and it is a F I2. I was concerned, but when we saw it IRL it was gorgeous. You could see the inclusion if you looked for it, but it wasn''t obvious unless you were trying to find it. Best of all, she got an ideal cut 1.76 carat for around $6,500 from GOG.

There have been a lot of problems with the setting, but I will post pictures when she gets it (hopefully this week)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results