shape
carat
color
clarity

Is an HPHT ring always a bad choice

likediamonds2020

Rough_Rock
My husband, son, daughter-in- law and I saw a 4.02 oval D VVS1 GIA 5161151693 and all loved it! We did not realize that it was HPHT until we left the store and looked at the photo of the GIA report we took. We since researched HPHT. The ring is pricey but about half the cost of a non- HPHT D VVS1. It is sparkly, translucent and colorless, but still HPHT. It took a long time to be able to upgrade and is something on my bucket list. I am also concerned about possible brittleness. I also love radiants and have seen this GIA 2175112654 on Enchanted Diamonds. It has strong blue - I don't mind fluorescence if it is not hazy. I called ENchanted Diamonds and was told that it was a sparkly and not hazy stone. Thank you for your assistance and opinions.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know . . .it's enhancing the color.
I have a well cut "g" and it is crazy white for my eyes.

Perhaps experts could weigh in

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen some Internet diamond/jewelry blog posts that mention possible brittleness as a result of the color enhancing, HPHT treatment. But those seem to rest on say-so; no supporting references are cited. My Google search retrieved a couple of studies re HPHT diamonds that suggest they may not be durable enough for extended use for industrial purposes, but since you won't be using your oval ring as a saw blade, for example, those studies seem irrelevant for jewelry consumers.

So far as I can tell, GIA has issued no cautionary advisories re any unique deficiencies/risks of HPHT diamonds. In fact, on GIA's web page re various gem stone treatments, it says "Other than normal care considerations used for most jewelry, there are no particular instructions for the care and handling of HPHT treated diamonds."

It bugs me, however, that this jeweler-diamond dealer was not up-front with you about the fact that this is an HPHT diamond. It's true that, as things currently stand, FTC regulations require vendors to disclose HPHT treatment no later than "at the point of sale", i.e., it's sufficient to note the treatment on the sales receipt. But imo a professionally ethical jeweler would not leave it to you, a prospective buyer, to figure it out from reviewing the GIA report; they would tell you before bringing it out or as you were viewing the stone.

likediamonds2020

Rough_Rock
Thank you - yes, it bugs me to that it wasn't verbally disclosed - we have since questioned the jeweler regarding the HPHT and of course the jeweler thinks it is fine - he is selling them - the non- HPHT radiant is a G VS2 with strong blue which makes the price more reasonable.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Treated diamonds have a place in the market. They are not for everyone, but at the same time they are not always a bad choice. I do not know about the brittleness concern, but I have not heard this concern stressed in the trade. I know it is a factor in heat treatment or certain colored gemstones. If it does make the stone brittle, it might show in facet junctions abrading over time and possibly in making the girdle a little more susceptible to chipping.

I think the key to determining whether a treated stone is right for a particular customer is two fold. One, do you feel like it takes away from the emotional aspect of owning the stone? That is, does it matter at all that it is appearance enhanced. And two, most importantly, do you think you will ever need or want to sell or trade the stone? In which case know that the stone will likely be very difficult to move.

I don't think the fluorescence will be an issue in terms of future value or liquidity in this case for the reason I stated above. But if you want to see an overview of the issues involved with fluorescence you can find it here:
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results