shape
carat
color
clarity

Is an Emerald cut supposed to look like this?

Meowingtons

Rough_Rock
So the jeweler sent me videos of 2 ECs he brought in. I think the first one looks good because of the contrast? but I am not sure if am EC is supposed to look like that. Or is that contrast = leakage? And is it bad?

Diamond 1 video -

Diamond 2 video -

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the first one! Not sure what you mean as far as contrast?

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the first one! Not sure what you mean as far as contrast?

Do they have a report on them and can you get an aset on them? I am no expert but I really like what my eyes tell me especially the first one!

Meowingtons

Rough_Rock
@cushioncutnut I am not sure if I understand contrast correctly, but based on what i know, it's the light play between facets that don't reflect light versus facets that do. Otherwise the diamond is one massive ball of light?

And nope, no ASET. They have the typical lab report but I am not sure if it's any use!

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am leaning towards the first one as well, but the facets are narrow so I wonder how much of a lightshow you will get vs broader facets. Not an expert by any means though!

You might want to reach out to some of the experts like garry cut nut and karl_k and see what they say.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Same here; like the first one, not an expert. I have learned that ECs are a bit more "what looks good to you" than a lot of other cuts, LOL.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty- I like the 1st one too. Did Karl once say it was good to see the diamond against a blue background to see if there is leakage? Hopefully he will respond with his expert eyes.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1st one bad p3 angles.
If you find one that looks like that without the dark center then your getting somewhere.
2nd even worse p3 angles.
The cutter got greedy one both running the second from the bottom set of facets down to far and cutting the bottom set at the wrong angle.

Meowingtons

Rough_Rock
Thanks @Karl_K for your thoughts. It's a shame because it looks like a pretty diamond to so many of us. Back to the drawing board!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks @Karl_K for your thoughts. It's a shame because it looks like a pretty diamond to so many of us. Back to the drawing board!

The CVD rough being shallow leads to this problem a lot.
That and they just don know how to cut them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results