shape
carat
color
clarity

Is a loupe clean SI2 stone possible?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Am I going nuts???

In order to prove to my brother what a great deal buying online was, I got him to call up a couple of stores in Hatton Garden and do a price check.

So far they have come back with a 1ct H SI2 vg polish & sym. Despite asking for details on cut, none were given. They have assured him that it is totally loupe clean.

Now, I have always thought that clarity appraisals are done with a 10x loupe tableside up. In which case how on earth can an SI2 be ''loupe clean'' unless you are totally blind??

Please tell me I''m not going nuts!

PS Price was $7,000!
23.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A diamond which is a legitimate SI2 is never "loupe clean". I would take the term to mean you cannot see anything with a 10x loupe and that is the opposite of what an SI2 is.

Now, if the meaning, on your side of the pond, is that you cannot see anything without a loupe, then an SI2 might be what we''d call "eye-clean".

We all speak English, but the languages are different.

No cut information implies a very traditional seller who is hoping to sell you what they have and expect you to cave in and just buy it. Pleasedon''t make an impulsive purchase. You know that CUT is VERY important, so insist on dealing with people whowill relay the facts to you. Maybe this seller will do it or maybe you need to shop until you find a more educated, understanding seller.

wen104

Shiny_Rock
Now that is funny, I would think (although I don''t every often :) ) that if it is a SI2 there would have to be something in there to be seen. If there wasn''t something there, it wouldn''t be an SI2. I would have to go and look at that stone before I purchased it, plus to me cut details would need to be provided. Anyone can say something is a good cut and in there mind maybe it is but a great cut is much better! Remember not everyone has or wants to have knowledge about stones. I on the other hand want to know everything and become obsessed. I would tell him to keep looking! Happy shopping!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Just checked - guy definitely said 'loupe clean'
29.gif
(brother doesn't know what a loupe is, so wouldn't have said it himself.) It means the same here as it does in the US.

He tried 6 stores and apparently they all got quite aggressive when he started asking for details beyond colour and clarity. Not one would give him details of cut, and only 2 had GIA reports.

One store even told him that terms like 'ideal cut' or 'excellent cut' were just there to push the prices up and didn't really mean anything!
23.gif

Please don't worry - I have a stone on hold at WF. No way on earth is he buying a stone at Hatton Garden.

I am sure there must be some nice, honest dealers down there, but so far I haven't found them. Looking at the stones some of my friends have from there, I think they all got ripped off.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
we''re cautioned to be wary of such SI2s, are the clarity maker is a huge, expansive cloud that makes the stone look dull.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A diamond which "looks dull" because of clouds or inclusions is not even "eye clean". If any form of inclusion is visible, even cloudiness which is visible, then the diamond is not eye clean.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/30/2007 12:26:16 PM
Author: oldminer
A diamond which ''looks dull'' because of clouds or inclusions is not even ''eye clean''. If any form of inclusion is visible, even cloudiness which is visible, then the diamond is not eye clean.
That is exactly the case. And these stones do exist.
That is why I counsel people to not look for SI stones that appear to have very few inclusions.

BTW an ideal-scope can solve your cut shopping problems. UK is a bit of a cut disaster zone. we can get one to you in less than a week generally

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
You are so right Gary.

I hate watching so many of my friends getting ripped off so badly because they want to go into a shop and come out an hour later with the ring rather than take some time and do their research.

I have talked to a few of the yet-to-get-engaged ones and they are planning on asking me (all of you guys on PS
31.gif
) to find things for them.

There really is a market here for good stones, we either have rock bottom (H Samuels, Ernest Jones etc), or top notch (Graff, Cartier etc) and little in between. Nobody seems to be trying to go for this niche - everyone things HG is the place to go, but I''m finding my experiences there less than mediocre. Maybe americans are just more into bling on the whole?

What is the australian market like? I would have thought closer to the UK''s than the US?

Maybe I should set up shop!
31.gif

PS - I''m very interested in buying an Idealscope, but couldn''t find one on the UK suppliers site.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results