shape
carat
color
clarity

Is a Guild report reliable?

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
Hello, in my continuing hunt for a ruby, I came across a piece that looks lovely, but has a lab report that I am not familiar with -- a Guild Gemological Report. I did a search, but wasn't able to find much discussion of it. Does anyone know whether this lab is reliable? I assume the report's characterization of the ruby as "pigeon's blood" is really not worth much, but can I trust what the report says about origin and treatment? Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For rubies, I only trust these labs:

AGL (American Gem Lab in NYC -beware of lab reports using the same acronym)
GiA
SSEF
GRS

Rubies are some of the most highly treated and/or synthesized gems. Never purchase a ruby (unless you’re paying so little and you don’t care) without at least one of those four lab reports.

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
For rubies, I only trust these labs:

AGL (American Gem Lab in NYC -beware of lab reports using the same acronym)
GiA
SSEF
GRS

Rubies are some of the most highly treated and/or synthesized gems. Never purchase a ruby (unless you’re paying so little and you don’t care) without at least one of those four lab reports.

Thank you!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see China and LA and have not heard of either one. (I mean Guild, not those places :cool2:.) And I have heard of a lot of labs.

As @TL says above, ruby-buying is not for the faint-of-heart. i would expect a mainstream lab report.

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
I see China and LA and have not heard of either one. (I mean Guild, not those places :cool2:.) And I have heard of a lot of labs.

As @TL says above, ruby-buying is not for the faint-of-heart. i would expect a mainstream lab report.

Thanks! Seems like this one has to be a pass. The hunt continues :)

dagongren

Rough_Rock
Their color grading tend to be loose. But their origin and treatment results are reliable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results