shape
carat
color
clarity

Is a faceted girdle safer in an east west setting?

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
I have a diamond ring that I have had for a while and I wanted to set the diamond east west. My concern is the durability of an east west setting. Will a faceted girdle help at all? If I find a setting that has a lower profile, I'm guessing that's the term, would that be safer? The diamond ring is from the early 90s but it's very sentimental and I still wear it from time to time because it reminds me of a specific time in my life that I'm very thankful for but it looks like a ring from the 90s. So I would like to reset the diamonds in the ring, if I could do it safely. Thank you for any insight you may have.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What shape is it? Oval or Marquise perhaps?

It can't be a shape with straight edges such as emerald or radiant because the sides of those girdles are each just one long flat facet.

Also, are you asking whether a faceted girdle is safer than a bruted girdle?
I'm not clear on the question.

BTW, the most girdle-protective setting is a full bezel.
If the stone has extraordinary sentimental value I'd consider a full bezel even if I didn't like them.

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Kenny, it's a funky cut stone that the store I purchased it carried. It looks like this one.

I found this one on eBay for reference (duchess cut). Mine is much smaller, it's only 10mm by 5mm and then has 4 smaller ones. 2 are a bit larger.

Yes, I was referring to a faceted girdle as opposed to a bruted one. It's not the best diamond but for the time it fit its purpose. I thought about bezel setting the larger stone, I just thought it wouldn't sparkle as much.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1445620723.jpg

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my sorry for the large photo.

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
It's call a modified hexagonal brilliant by GIA. I don't know why but for some reason mine has a open cutlet. But it does look like the one above.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results