Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Is a 9 x 7 sapphire too big for an engagement-wedding set?

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Sep 2, 2011
Messages
158
Hi, everyone,
I've posted here before about an estate sapphire at my local jewelry store. The color is perfect. The clarity is acceptable; the stone has some minor zoning and a feather on one edge. The feather is only visible from one angle under strong lighting. The stone is at least 10 years old, and was a trade-in. It is just over three carats, and the cut is average and fairly deep. It's priced well. Purchase contingent upon results of lab report. Heat treating okay. Other treatments not okay.

The pros: The color. The color. And the price.

The cons: The size. A much bigger millimeter and carat weight than I'd choose for daily wear. The rovally-oval shape; I prefer more oblong shapes.


I'm torn because I know how hard it is to find the perfect color stone, especially for a reasonable price. But what do you do when the perfect color stone falls outside of your other preferences, like shape and size?

Please share your opinions -- will this stone look too big set in an engagement-wedding set? Will it look too much like a cocktail ring? How would you set a rovally-oval?
 

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
2,567
Re: Is a 9 x 7 sapphire too big for an engagement-wedding se

I'd be torn, too. As long as the setting isn't too 'cocktaily' I don't think anyone would mistake it as one, esp. with the resurgence in popularity of sapphire e-rings with Duchess Kate's now-ring recently in the spotlight. I would probably choose a 3-stone setting with pears for sidestones, like this:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5557

Or another classic e-ring look, baguette sidestones:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5449

But, if you really don't like the oval shape, or wouldn't be happy with it, what about having someone assess it for re-cutting? You'd lose some size, obviously, but since it's already a bit bigger than you'd prefer, that might not be a bad option.
 

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
1,720
Re: Is a 9 x 7 sapphire too big for an engagement-wedding se

What is your ring size? If it's 5 or under, I think it's probably too big for you (but sounds like a re-cut candidate? especially if it's deep). If you wear a 6.5+ it will look large but not cocktail-ish at all, I think. I know I left open a 5.5-6.5 gap, that's where I am undecided without pics...
 

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Sep 2, 2011
Messages
158
Re: Is a 9 x 7 sapphire too big for an engagement-wedding se

rubybeth|1319114136|3044090 said:
I'd be torn, too. As long as the setting isn't too 'cocktaily' I don't think anyone would mistake it as one, esp. with the resurgence in popularity of sapphire e-rings with Duchess Kate's now-ring recently in the spotlight. I would probably choose a 3-stone setting with pears for sidestones, like this:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5557

Or another classic e-ring look, baguette sidestones:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5449

But, if you really don't like the oval shape, or wouldn't be happy with it, what about having someone assess it for re-cutting? You'd lose some size, obviously, but since it's already a bit bigger than you'd prefer, that might not be a bad option.
Thank you, rubybeth. The renewed popularity in sapphire engagement rings because of the Diana-Kate ring is a good point, because that ring is definitely large. It was criticized as looking cocktail-ring-like when Diana chose it, but I always thought it looked pretty sharp with the gold wedding band she wore with it. I love the look of pear sidestones. Some "fat" pears might work really well with this fat oval. And as much as I love baguettes, and that Brian Gavin emerald-cut ring is really gorgeous, btw, I think baguettes would be too severe for the shape of this sapphire.
 

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Sep 2, 2011
Messages
158
Re: Is a 9 x 7 sapphire too big for an engagement-wedding se

MissStepcut|1319115349|3044097 said:
What is your ring size? If it's 5 or under, I think it's probably too big for you (but sounds like a re-cut candidate? especially if it's deep). If you wear a 6.5+ it will look large but not cocktail-ish at all, I think. I know I left open a 5.5-6.5 gap, that's where I am undecided without pics...

I would consider a recut for this stone, but would be a bit nervous about the recut shifting the color. The color is perfect. I could probably send it to one of the lapidaries recommended on this site for their opinion on it, but my inclination right now is to not mess with mother nature -- and the original cutter :D

My ring size is about a 6.75; size 7 if the band is wide or the ring is worn with another band. My fingers are average length and my palms are very square. Rounds look awful on me unless they are balanced with angular sidestones like baguettes, bullets, etc.

Going back to rubybeth's suggestion of pears -- the more I think about that, the more I think pears in the right proportion could work with my hand shape and give the ring a more classic three-stone look. How hard it is to find pear sidestones?

eta: I am a big believer in the secondary market, which is another reason this sapphire interests me. And MissStepcut, I see from your SMTB thread that you had a bit of a serendipitous experience on the secondary market as well -- what an incredible emerald-cut diamond you found! Lucky you!
 

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 5, 2010
Messages
706
Re: Is a 9 x 7 sapphire too big for an engagement-wedding se

It wouldn't be too big for me! My current e-ring has a 10+ carat cushion tourmaline in it. I enjoy wearing it daily. :lol:

But seriously, if you are not comfortable with the size, I would suggest you consider a re-cut; that way you could get the size and the shape you want. Since this is an engagement ring, it is unlikely you will sell it later, so the weight loss (and thus the loss in re-sale value) shouldn't be a big concern.
 

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Apr 26, 2007
Messages
8,087
Re: Is a 9 x 7 sapphire too big for an engagement-wedding se

I find 9X7 to be a fairly wearable size, and I work with my hands a fair amount, talk with my hands constantly, etc. With colored stones, finding the right color really is key. How rovally is it? Is it something the right setting could illusion out a little? If you were to bezel it, a good jeweler could probably subtly make it look a little longer: if you were to, say, set it in a e-w semi-bezel, that would definitely make it look more oval, and keep it low-set and wearable. Plus, with an e-w semi-bezel and pear sides? You'd get perfect finger coverage. :mrgreen:
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,288
Re: Is a 9 x 7 sapphire too big for an engagement-wedding se

Ask Kate Middleton about that! :naughty:
 

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
3,296
Re: Is a 9 x 7 sapphire too big for an engagement-wedding se

I don't think its too big at all. But its all a matter of personal preference...
 

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Sep 2, 2011
Messages
158
Re: Is a 9 x 7 sapphire too big for an engagement-wedding se

Cookie|1319123743|3044167 said:
It wouldn't be too big for me! My current e-ring has a 10+ carat cushion tourmaline in it. I enjoy wearing it daily. :lol:

But seriously, if you are not comfortable with the size, I would suggest you consider a re-cut; that way you could get the size and the shape you want. Since this is an engagement ring, it is unlikely you will sell it later, so the weight loss (and thus the loss in re-sale value) shouldn't be a big concern.
Oooh, I just looked at some photos of your stone -- is it in a James Meyer setting? That is a beautiful ring. The setting makes all the difference. I never considered setting this stone into a more organic setting. I would definitely feel more comfortable in a style like that.
 

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Sep 2, 2011
Messages
158
Re: Is a 9 x 7 sapphire too big for an engagement-wedding se

Circe|1319126625|3044193 said:
I find 9X7 to be a fairly wearable size, and I work with my hands a fair amount, talk with my hands constantly, etc. With colored stones, finding the right color really is key. How rovally is it? Is it something the right setting could illusion out a little? If you were to bezel it, a good jeweler could probably subtly make it look a little longer: if you were to, say, set it in a e-w semi-bezel, that would definitely make it look more oval, and keep it low-set and wearable. Plus, with an e-w semi-bezel and pear sides? You'd get perfect finger coverage. :mrgreen:
The shape is what I'd call a fat oval, Circe. I think its length to width ratio is about 1.25. So still very much an oval, but a stocky oval. I have considered an east-west design so it looks less traditional. The depth of the stone is what gives me pause. Like many sapphires it is deep, so the setting is naturally higher off the finger. But the gallery on Cookie's James Meyer ring is really pretty. So I think part of the problem is that this beautiful sapphire is in a setting that doesn't really do much for it. The stone looks like it's bursting out of the setting, if that makes sense. So the ring looks very top-heavy.
 

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Sep 2, 2011
Messages
158
Re: Is a 9 x 7 sapphire too big for an engagement-wedding se

TL|1319128526|3044219 said:
Ask Kate Middleton about that! :naughty:
She rocks that ring so much better than Diana ever did, doesn't she?
 

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Sep 2, 2011
Messages
158
Re: Is a 9 x 7 sapphire too big for an engagement-wedding se

stargurl78|1319129690|3044240 said:
I don't think its too big at all. But its all a matter of personal preference...
Thanks, stargurl. Right now I'm thinking that if I compromise on color because I personally prefer smaller rings, that I will regret it. I've lurked on CS for a while now, and I see how much work posters put into finding just the right color stone. I literally found this stone by accident -- I was in the jewelry store talking to the owner about restoring a vintage ring when I saw this sapphire -- and that was over a month ago, and I still can't get it out of my mind.
 

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 5, 2010
Messages
706
Re: Is a 9 x 7 sapphire too big for an engagement-wedding se

Blue-Seeker|1319131343|3044254 said:
Cookie|1319123743|3044167 said:
It wouldn't be too big for me! My current e-ring has a 10+ carat cushion tourmaline in it. I enjoy wearing it daily. :lol:

But seriously, if you are not comfortable with the size, I would suggest you consider a re-cut; that way you could get the size and the shape you want. Since this is an engagement ring, it is unlikely you will sell it later, so the weight loss (and thus the loss in re-sale value) shouldn't be a big concern.
Oooh, I just looked at some photos of your stone -- is it in a James Meyer setting? That is a beautiful ring. The setting makes all the difference. I never considered setting this stone into a more organic setting. I would definitely feel more comfortable in a style like that.
Yes, it's in the JM setting. I agree the setting makes a big difference.

What kind of 3-stone setting style are you considering? Are you going to bezel set or prong set the sapphire?

I have a 5+ carat round tourmaline prong set in a 3-stone setting. The side stones are trillions, not pears, but you could take a look to get some idea about the proportion, height, etc. There are two threads about it: one in the colored stones forum, and the other in the pre-loved jewelry forum. The latter has handshots. I think it looks a bit small-ish on my hand, but that's just me. :D
 

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
1,178
Re: Is a 9 x 7 sapphire too big for an engagement-wedding se

It would be a bit big for me maybe but I'd probably get used to it? Get it set very very very low in a Leon Mege setting with traps or halfmoon sides. Getting it evaluated for a recut is probably a good idea.
 

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Sep 2, 2011
Messages
158
Re: Is a 9 x 7 sapphire too big for an engagement-wedding se

Cookie|1319132849|3044275 said:
Blue-Seeker|1319131343|3044254 said:
Cookie|1319123743|3044167 said:
It wouldn't be too big for me! My current e-ring has a 10+ carat cushion tourmaline in it. I enjoy wearing it daily. :lol:

But seriously, if you are not comfortable with the size, I would suggest you consider a re-cut; that way you could get the size and the shape you want. Since this is an engagement ring, it is unlikely you will sell it later, so the weight loss (and thus the loss in re-sale value) shouldn't be a big concern.
Oooh, I just looked at some photos of your stone -- is it in a James Meyer setting? That is a beautiful ring. The setting makes all the difference. I never considered setting this stone into a more organic setting. I would definitely feel more comfortable in a style like that.
Yes, it's in the JM setting. I agree the setting makes a big difference.

What kind of 3-stone setting style are you considering? Are you going to bezel set or prong set the sapphire?

I have a 5+ carat round tourmaline prong set in a 3-stone setting. The side stones are trillions, not pears, but you could take a look to get some idea about the proportion, height, etc. There are two threads about it: one in the colored stones forum, and the other in the pre-loved jewelry forum. The latter has handshots. I think it looks a bit small-ish on my hand, but that's just me. :D
Cookie, your fingers are similar in size to mine, so your photos are really helpful, thank you! I just took a look at the photos of your three-stone ring. The proportions are perfect and it does not look too big or top heavy. I don't think it looks too small either, but if you're used to wearing large stones, I guess this ring would qualify as "small." :D I think the trellis prongs look great with a larger stone, and the euroshank is an excellent idea. I'm sure that helps keep the ring from spinning. I was thinking of a three-stone design for this ring, prong-set, with colored gemstones for side stones, and maybe a few diamond accents. I want to avoid the Diana-Kate diamond halo look at all costs :rolleyes: I had not considered a bezel design for this ring at all until today. I'm not sure what bezeling this stone would do to the color. I guess I could drive over and take a look at it and ask to wrap a piece of foil around it -- heck, the store already thinks I'm weird for asking so many questions.

Before I decide for sure on this stone, I'm going to see if there's anything new from some of the lapidaries. I've discovered that my eyes are really sensitive to any gray in sapphires, so that significantly narrows my options. I cannot believe how many sapphires have a gray undertone to them.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    What is PriceScope?
    What is PriceScope?
    What is Diamond Color?
    What is Diamond Color?

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top