shape
carat
color
clarity

is a 3mm band still thin?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lilylover

Shiny_Rock
I''ve tried on many settings in stores and have found that I like dainty ER settings with pave or small sidestones. However, my ring definitely will be coming from online, probably from James Allen, WhiteFlash, or Blue Nile. I''ve spotted some settings that I like online that are around 2.5-2.9mm. Would this still look thin? It''s hard to imagine without seeing the setting in real life how thick the band actually is. If anyone has any hand shots of rings around this mm size, that would be fantastic!!

My ring size is 4.75 and my RB center stone will probably be anywhere from .50-.70 if that helps any.

Thanks, guys!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.5mm is definitely thin. 3.0 is just a little wider, obviously! You need to go try some on to see what widths you really like best. But consensus around here often is that a thinner band makes the center stone look larger. So if it was me, I''d probably stick with 2.0-2.5mm especially with little fingers.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My wedding band is 2.5 (4.5 finger size) and sometimes I feel like it is too thin. I like wider bands though so its all subjective. I say go try on a setting that has a 3 mm band. That is the only way you will know for sure.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s still thin, but as the wise ladies mentioned, best to try them on and see how you like them...
2.gif

Salix

Rough_Rock
Hi Lilylover!

I have the same ring size as you (4.75) and I thought I''d show you a picture of my wedding band (which I got to try on, even though I don''t have an engagement ring yet!)

The wedding band is 3 mm. My ring finger is 7 cm long. (I measured just for you so you have some sort of reference!)

I hope this helps, but like the wise PS''ers say, go try some on!

march12afternoonboredom.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
3 mm is not thin, imho. 2 and 2.5 are thin, again imho.

3 mm is the first standardized size for men (yes, I know all the women here freak out when they hear that!) and it's the standard size for men in Europe. Tiffany & Co even markets 2 mm rings to men (go to men's wedding bands if you don't believe me). I believe that even Cartier's 2.5 wedding bands are considered unisex by Cartier.

The reason 3 mm isn't think, imho, is because the ratio of the ring's width to its depth changes substantially between 3 mm and 2 mm rings. A ring is very likely to be 2 mm in depth, but not 3. So 3 mm and 2 mm rings have a different proportion.

I can't imagine a 3 mm is still thin, although it might be just thick enough, or perfect. Like others have said, you might want to look at the sizes IRL (if you haven't already) before making a decision.

I like 3 mm rings for men and women, and 2 mm and 2.5 mm for women. YMMV.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Oh, now I''m working myself up into a lather, reading this thread.
I am wondering, have you made a decision, lily?

I am in the midst of an engagement project, and found myself selecting a Tiffany-style solitaire, the older, heavier version... when I asked the jeweller about a thinner band he basically told me that although they are fashionable at the moment, I should have a ''substantial'' and ''strong'' engagement ring. I''m worried that it will be around 3.5mm - I forgot to ask him the exact width.

40.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think 2-3mm is a perfect size, not too thin at all!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Totally off topic, but Tacori- Your avatar is soooo cute!!
9.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Totally personal preference. For me, 3mm is not thin.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 8:58:05 PM
Author: CharmyPoo

I agree. I don''t think that 3mm is thin. I would def recommend that you try on some bands to see which you prefer.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 3mm is thin, but chances are that you''ll be wearing the engagement ring with a wedding band. 3mm engagement ring plus 3mm wedding band is not thin at all. It looks great on some people, but it''s not a dainty look if that''s what you''re going for.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 5:41:22 AM
Author: bee*

I agree. I don't think that 3mm is thin. I would def recommend that you try on some bands to see which you prefer.
Ditto this - I'm the same size as you, 4.75, but my fingers are quite short.
imho 1.5 to 1.8 is thin, 2 to 2.5 is nice for ering (depending on style), 3mm is average, and 4mm or more is thick. Of course, this is all dependant on
personal preference and choice of style.
My stone is 1.25, and the band at it's widest is 2.5, tapering to ~1mm near the diamond.

ETA: wow, sorry about the really white hand, lol ! That photo is from middle of winter last year
40.gif

band 2.5mm.JPG

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
to my eyes 2.5mm is still thin, and 3mm is the beginning of more substantial, especially when you are wearing it beside another ring.

my original ering band was thin at ~2mm and i wanted a ''thin'' band (2-2.5mm) to pair with it. my jeweler talked me out of it saying i wouldn''t ''look married''. i allowed him to talk me into a 3mm band, and i always felt it was a bit too thick. i am a size 6.25 finger and it was paired with a 1ct princess solitaire - it swallowed up my solitaire, whereas the 2-2.5mm ones did not.
the only way to really know is to try some on, and go with your gut instinct.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 9:29:07 AM
Author: rainydaze
to my eyes 2.5mm is still thin, and 3mm is the beginning of more substantial, especially when you are wearing it beside another ring.

my original ering band was thin at ~2mm and i wanted a 'thin' band (2-2.5mm) to pair with it. my jeweler talked me out of it saying i wouldn't 'look married'. i allowed him to talk me into a 3mm band, and i always felt it was a bit too thick. i am a size 6.25 finger and it was paired with a 1ct princess solitaire - it swallowed up my solitaire, whereas the 2-2.5mm ones did not.

the only way to really know is to try some on, and go with your gut instinct.

Rainy daze, I could talk with you about this issue for hours! My husband thinks I am totally mad, the way I am obsessed with this issue (I've only mentioned it to him once)
20.gif

I have just written a very long and complicated thread on it in LIW. I don't want to thread jack...it is interesting that Rainy Daze felt that even the wedding band made the whole set too thick... I quite like wide wedding bands...
33.gif

Lily, what do you think?

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 8:56:14 AM
Author: arjunajane

imho 1.5 to 1.8 is thin, 2 to 2.5 is nice for ering (depending on style), 3mm is average, and 4mm or more is thick. Of course, this is all dependant on
personal preference and choice of style.
My stone is 1.25, and the band at it's widest is 2.5, tapering to ~1mm near the diamond.
I totally agree with you. BTW your ering band look like a perfect width for the style you have chosen. My ering is 4mm at its widest but I wish it was a little thinner as my wedding band is around 4mm so together they're quite thick on my finger.

I would bear in mind the size of the stone you're choosing. IMO a 50-.70 stone would look better in a thinner band but it's all a matter of personal choice

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 6:25:07 PM
Author: Tuckins1
Totally off topic, but Tacori- Your avatar is soooo cute!!
9.gif

Thanks so much
16.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 5:41:22 AM
Author: bee*

I agree. I don''t think that 3mm is thin. I would def recommend that you try on some bands to see which you prefer.
You can even try on bands at walmart just to get an idea. I recently ordered a 2mm spacer band and I love it. I would still consider 2.5mm thin but 3m seems to be average
35.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 6:27:52 AM
Author: Addy
I think 3mm is thin, but chances are that you''ll be wearing the engagement ring with a wedding band. 3mm engagement ring plus 3mm wedding band is not thin at all. It looks great on some people, but it''s not a dainty look if that''s what you''re going for.
Ditto! I''m going for a 2mm wedding band, and then I''m getting a 2mm eternity and my reset for my ering will be 2mm as well, so thats still 6mm, which is NOT thin. But I doubt I''ll wear them all at once all that often.

lilylover

Shiny_Rock
I have decided that I''d definitely want to stick with 2-2.5mm. I saw some 3mm bands in person and thought that they were too substantial for my liking. Especially when I take into consideration what it would look like next to a wedding band.

I know that it''s usually advised that you have a band that is at least 2mm, but White Flash''s petite open cathedral setting is 1.5mm....and I LOVE that setting! *shrug*

Oh, and I won''t be getting too much say in my e-ring. My BF will be picking it out, and though I stressed to him that I really want a thin band (I even used the words 2mm) I am not sure exactly what I will end up with!

Thanks to all of you for your input! :)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
The way it fits in my own mind:

1.5mm - VERY thin
2mm - thin
3mm - slightly on the thin side, but substantial
4mm - very substantial
5mm+ - very wide

Of course, a lot of that depends on the overall style of the band (whether it has detailing, the shape of the dome, thickness, stones or no) and the size/length of the finder on top of just the width. For what it's worth, here's a 3mm low-dome band on my short size six fingers.

IMG_1032.JPG

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks lily for posing the question. I found this thread to be extremely helpful. It''s helped me reinforce my wedding band plan.

My e-ring has pave diamonds and is 3 mm then tapers to 2.5 mm at the center diamond. I wear size 5 (I think) and thought I wanted a thicker e-ring band for more finger coverage, but my diamond will be .70. I haven''t seen the final product but I did get a chance to try on wedding bands with the setting (no center diamond) to try to find one that matched the e-ring band. I wanted pave diamonds and I found that the 2 mm w-band w/pave diamonds looked better than the 3 mm with my e-ring. It allowed the e-ring to be the focal point and not the wedding band. Personally, I would also have no problem wearing the "thin" wedding band by itself.

BTW: Many celebrities have done that for years - worn a thin wedding band with or without diamonds without an e-ring. I think what''s substantial for one person may not be enough for another, but I think you''should be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results