shape
carat
color
clarity

Is $7k reasonable for Leon e-ring & band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 9:35:45 PM
Author: Gypsy
Same thing was happening to me! I was reading my own posts and thinking it was Freke. I put my dragon back as as result. It was too confusing for me. LOL.
Lol. I just happened to wander by here...and find out how Gypsy is confusing herself...

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Maytal gave me an initial quote of $2100 just for the e-ring. I met up with her over the weekend and am waiting to hear back on the final quote for the e-ring AND matching wedding band together.

I asked White Flash for a quote on custom set similar to the petite open cathedral design:
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/-Petite-Open-Cathedral--Engagement-Ring_1211.htm
It''s a little different from what I asked Maytal and Leon (non-cathedral), but WF''s quote was $2657 total ($1532 for the e-ring, $1125 for the band)

I have also contacted Bridget Durnell based on mrssalvo''s recommendation, and am awaiting a quote from her.

Any thoughts on the different quotes?

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 3:26:09 PM
Author: silverbuggy

I called Leon this morning and he was actually really nice and friendly! The only ''attitude'' I got was his opinion that he really doesn''t like the Tiffany Novo. If people are right in that he charges more for projects he doesn''t want to take on, then maybe it''s because he thought I wanted a direct replica of the Tiffany Novo?

In any case, he went back to the drawing board to recalculate the numbers and came back with $4100 total for the e-ring and matching band. Does this sound reasonable?

Here are the details:
Six prong with thin shank and v-cut set small pave 3/4
Shank 1.6 mm wide
matching band set eternity our style 201
The estimate of the ring will be based on a verbal description of the
design.
Style: RING SOLITAIRE “TULIP™”
Finger size: 4 1/4
Material - platinum.
Keystone: 1.69 ct
Total cost of labor: $2,500
Identical matching band will cost $1,600
silverbuggy, I''m glad you were able to talk to him and get this worked out! I think his quote seems reasonable for what you want. The cost of the 201 band is spot on what I paid for mine. Good luck and be sure to post pics when it''s finished!
36.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
BTW, silverbuggy, that sounds a lot more reasonable. I''m thinking he upped the price because he doesn''t like the Novo. Lol. Leon cracks me up.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
heb1976, do you have a link to the 201 band? I wasn''t able to find it in Leon''s catalog for some reason.
Just curious though, if the band is $1600 and is eternity, why would the e-ring cost $900 more if it only goes down 3/4 way? Is the tulip head worth that much?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a substantial difference! Did Leon say why it was such a big difference? I''d be uncomfortable working with Leon if the price is out by that much due to him simply not liking the Tiffany ring.

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
I had Leon quote this ring R945 - he said it was a very complex design and therefore quite costly. His quote for setting a 2 carat sapphire was $5880 - $5000 of which was for labor! I was expecting somewhere in the neighborhood of $4000 total so I was a little surprised at the price......lesson learned though, if it has 3 sided pave, milgraining and a lot of gallery detail, it''s going to drive the price waaaayyyy up.
2.gif

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock
I think leons new quote is very reasonable!

Please post pics when all is said and done!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
If you are happy with the price from Leon I'd go with him. Your initial instructions were pretty detailed with some contradictory requests. If Leon has requoted it there is no reason to doubt his integrity. Lots of happy Leon Mege customers. The real issue is whether you like his work and style and will trust him to make recommendations. He is opinionated and that has rubbed some potential customers the wrong way. This experience is supposed to be a good one and you need to feel good about your vendor.

Oh, and the new quote looks much more reasonable.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 3:37:33 PM
Author: FrekeChild
BTW, silverbuggy, that sounds a lot more reasonable. I''m thinking he upped the price because he doesn''t like the Novo. Lol. Leon cracks me up.
ditto! Leon''s quite a character... fortunately, that hasn''t dissuaded me from wanting a Leon, eventually
9.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The new quote seems reasonable and he would do a great job with this. I wouldn''t worry about the rest and just let him take over the project LOL!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 9:20:57 PM
Author: DianaBanana
I had Leon quote this ring R945 - he said it was a very complex design and therefore quite costly. His quote for setting a 2 carat sapphire was $5880 - $5000 of which was for labor! I was expecting somewhere in the neighborhood of $4000 total so I was a little surprised at the price......lesson learned though, if it has 3 sided pave, milgraining and a lot of gallery detail, it's going to drive the price waaaayyyy up.
2.gif
Mine is an 811 Adriana, IMO it's not as detailed as this one, and it cost nearly as much. It only has one-sided pave (though the prongs are pave'ed) , no milgraining, and the gallery is no where as detailed as this one.

Hmmm??
33.gif
4.gif
(not that I can do anything about it now. Lesson learnt: ask Leon next time abt the pricing!)

Silver, I'm really glad that you were able to work out a much more reasonable budget with Leon. Can't wait to see the pics of yr rings. Sound really divine
30.gif

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 3:30:23 PM
Maytal gave me an initial quote of $2100 just for the e-ring. I met up with her over the weekend and am waiting to hear back on the final quote for the e-ring AND matching wedding band together.

I asked White Flash for a quote on custom set similar to the petite open cathedral design:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/-Petite-Open-Cathedral--Engagement-Ring_1211.htm

It's a little different from what I asked Maytal and Leon (non-cathedral), but WF's quote was $2657 total ($1532 for the e-ring, $1125 for the band)

I have also contacted Bridget Durnell based on mrssalvo's recommendation, and am awaiting a quote from her.

Any thoughts on the different quotes?

Leon's adjusted quote sounds much more reasonable. To be perfectly honest, I would chose Leon over Maytal despite the fact I don't care for his customer service skills. I used Maytal for a RHR and found her work to be above average, but IMO it's not top tier. I'm assuming you're in LA since you said you met with Maytal in person. If so, have you checked out 23rd Street Jewelers? They do gorgeous pave work and have very good customer service (if you get the right salesperson -- Norma and Jessica are both good; Sheila not so much). I'll warn you, though, that they will likely be more expensive than Leon. I also stumbled into a wonderful little jewelry store in San Anselmo (Northern California). All the work is done on site by the owner. They specialize in hand fabricated jewelry. The owner was very nice and showed me several pieces, all of which were beautifully done. I can't vouch for them beyond that, but I will likely try them at some point in the future. If you're interested, the name of the store is Mar-Chet. Good luck!

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 3:48:45 PM
heb1976, do you have a link to the 201 band? I wasn''t able to find it in Leon''s catalog for some reason.
Just curious though, if the band is $1600 and is eternity, why would the e-ring cost $900 more if it only goes down 3/4 way? Is the tulip head worth that much?
Hi silverbuggy, I think the extra $900 is because the head would be made specifically for your diamond. My halo ering setting cost $4100 and it''s for a 1.04 ct stone but the extra cost is also labor for the pave and it''s a smaller stone. My ering is also full eternity and he didn''t charge extra for that other than the melee cost so I don''t think that the 3/4 eternity impacts the price. Here''s a couple of links to the band...

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=482

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=330

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I just got off the phone with Cartier. Do you want to have some fun sometime? Make a list of reference numbers and call them for the prices of the items you select. Some of the prices are jaw dropping. I think the costs you mention seem very reasonable.

Of course, only you know whether what he asks is within reason, and whether you are willing to pay it. Considering the quality of workmanship his atelier achieves, I would pay his price. That is, assuming that his prices were in line with what he has charged for similar pieces recently (I am *not* making a judgment about this, but I am including it as the issue has been raised). If not, I would go elsewhere.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 10:48:15 PM
Author: Moh 10
I think Leon doesn't like hassling with problem-customers.

At this stage in his career he doesn't have to.

Don't take this personally.

I'm not saying you would have turned out to be a problem-customer but perhaps he has learned from experience that ' including a lot of requirements/details in my original request..' is a red flag for that possibility.

I can't say I blame the guy.

If I was a great artist with a big backlog of work I'd want to be respected and trusted.

I'd pick and choose the projects and clients I prefer, or give potentially problem-customers a quote that makes it worth my time.
LOL! IF he is doing that, I'll blame the guy. IMO, he is an artisan, not a "great artist." IMO, anyone doing business should treat all people the same, that is what professionals do. And, as far as "problem customers," I never give my money to people who don't respect it. If that makes me a problem customer, I can live with that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results