shape
carat
color
clarity

Is $15000 for this stone too much??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

happylife

Rough_Rock
I found this stone at Derco:
1.21 carat, vvs2, color: D, excellent cut, flor: none, polish and sym: excellent,
GIA cert.

I cost about $15210.

Is it worth? How to negotiate with them on price??

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is definitely not worth it. Do a search for diamonds at a few Pricescope online vendors (whiteflash.com, goodoldgold.com, jamesallen.com) and you''ll see that it is crazily over priced.

I just searched Whiteflash and found two different 1.2 ct F VS2 "A Cut Above" Hearts and Arrow diamonds for approximately $9900. These are cream of the crop diamonds, most likely better cut than the one you mentioned, and they cost 50% less.

I would highly recommend buying online for a better selection, better price and better diamonds.

chiefneil

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/1/2007 1:22:59 PM
Author:happylife
I found this stone at Derco:

1.21 carat, vvs2, color: D, excellent cut, flor: none, polish and sym: excellent,

GIA cert.

I cost about $15210.

It depends on what you''re looking for. If you want a D color just to be able to say you have a D, then it may be a good buy. However for the same price I just got a 1.8 carat, VS2, H, AGS 000, ISee2, Hearts and Arrows. I would be willing to bet money that to the naked eye, our stones would be pretty similar as far as color and clarity, except mine would be quite a bit bigger.

happylife

Rough_Rock
I did search on blue nile and whiteflash, with exactly the same quality, both sites show in a range
between mid $14000 to mid $15000.

do I need to pay tax on blue nile or whiteflash? i am living in san francisco area.

avlis

Shiny_Rock
yes it is too much and no it is not worth it. UNLESS... you are loaded with cash to spare and really really really have to have a D vvs2 stone, for mental reasons or bragging rights. you could easily save $3000-$5000 by dropping to a F color and VS2 clarity, and no one will know the difference, except you, and get a larger stone to boot, which is something that people WILL notice.

something to think about.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that you could easily go to E or F color and VS1 and not be able to tell the difference. It is very difficult to see any inclusions with a 10x loupe with a VS1 stone. By going down in color and clarity just a bit, it will allow you to get a larger stone for the same amount of money, or a similar size stone for much less.

Here is a nice example:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2747/

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Happylife,

A few things:

a) I tend to agree with my friends here, that you don't need either D or VVS2

b) I agree with your approach for assessment, and that if you do want a diamond with those qualities, and compared especially with other vendors with internet pricing, and find a comparable price, you're well served with a local vendor

c) re: "do I need to pay tax on blue nile or whiteflash? i am living in san francisco area...."

This can be read 2 ways:

1) you don't, no, owe WF or blue nile anything, and are well served from buying locally
2) spefically, on literal "tax," some people do use internet vendors to avoid the government's tax, rightly or wrongly

d) most important...knowing the diamond is excellent cut per GIA is not enough for most of us. At least consider also discerning info like crown & pavilion angles, and run it through the HCA here to evaluate it further for cut.

e)

Date: 4/1/2007 1:22:59 PM
Author:happylife

I cost about $15210.

Read this one option I found on the search by cut db, if you do want those qualities, and would consider searching broadly to get them.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Out of curiosity, why are you looking at D/VVS2? You can go waay down in color/clarity with basically the same visual appearance and either save money or go bigger.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
D-VVS2 ideal, cool.

happylife

Rough_Rock
why D and vvs2? It is all my fault, I introduce my girl to this site and she learned everything about diamond here.
Now she would not settle for less than D and vvs2
8.gif

but seriously, you can see the difference between D and F with an naked eyes. D and E is difficult.
as far as vvs2, I agree it only makes a difference under 10X lens between VS1 or below.

bosoxbw

Rough_Rock
I would think reading here would not lead to people insisting on a D color stone.

And while you may be able to tell the difference b/w a D and an F (and we are not talking side by side here), I don''t think most people could.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/2/2007 12:20:19 AM
Author: bosoxbw
I would think reading here would not lead to people insisting on a D color stone.

And while you may be able to tell the difference b/w a D and an F (and we are not talking side by side here), I don''t think most people could.

I agree! Reading here made me understand all the reasons you DON''T need a D colored diamond! If you got her an F or G stone with lower clarity you could get a much better value and a bigger stone. Perhaps you should direct her to some more threads or information that explain this.

*M*

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
happylife, I have a D stone, but the more I read on Pricescope, the more it tempts me to look at lower colors next time around. I suggest you girlfriends reads up a little more on Pricescope, the result could save you quite a few dollars!

tweeanna

Shiny_Rock
Also, down the road shrinkage will set in and that 1.21 ct will start to look small and she might want to upgrade...but to upgrade to a bigger carat with the same D/VVS2 specs will be VERY expensive!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results