shape
carat
color
clarity

is 1-carat too small for size 6 or 7?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hi all, my girlfriend is a 6 or a 7 (that is her ring size. as a woman she is a perfect 10

emrose.gif
)

for my proposal next year, I was thinking of a platinum solitaire, h&a, 1 carat, vs2 and f, but would 1 carat look too small?

I just had a quick check on WF and I could possibly stretch to a h&a, 1.5, I, vs2... but I''d rather not go down as far as ''I'' especially as I hear that larger rings show their colour more than most. and I just checked bluenile, could get a 1.5, H, vs2, scores ex,ex,ex,vg on the HCA but the diameter is about 0.2mm smaller

please post any advice, comments and pics of 1 to 1.5 carat rings, on a size 6 or 7 finger

thankyou

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock

Well, I think a WF H&A I would be awesome, but color is VERY subjective. =)

I wear a 7.5 and 1.5 looked great on my hand. What has she said about size? Some women prefer stones @ 1 ct vs larger....Has she given you any clues? If size is very important to her, then the stretch to a good H&A in an I might not be a bad idea at all. Also, Is VS2 a must? Most SI1s (and some SI2s) are completely eye clean. I must emphasize that in my opinion, in a well cut stone--NO ONE sees anything but sparkle. This is also a subjective opinion (and everyone has his/her preferences/tolerances) but clarity is one of the least important of the "Cs" when the cut is good, and the size and color are where you like them.

1.gif

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock

I have a platinum 1.14 H SI 1, ex,ex,ex,vg and it looks perfect on my 6 3/4 finger. I think the setting is what is most important. A thinner one really makes the diamond POP! My setting is the fourth one on this page...you have to go to recent work. If you want to go bigger, I''d consider a G or H and and SI -- if you find a great cut, it will look great...have fun searching!!! klr

www.mwmjewelry.com

thanks for the advice

jennifer - well, she has a great sense of style, she brought up the topic of rings last night, and I seized my chance

9.gif
I finally got her to tell my her ring size (hence the question) I also asked what style she likes, and she said to me, "well mostly dainty ones, not big kinds" but 1.5 is not really big big is it? only about 7.4mm? so I don't know... I want her to see it and love it
30.gif
before I can afford an e-ring I am getting a promise ring, something like this (the bottom one) and cos she lives 3500 miles away, I am going to get it engraved with "I am with you always" - if it'll fit. do you think this is "dainty"? it is not exactly a huge cluster is it? I like it, and my sense of style is very classic and understated, I think she will love it (plus it is pink) thankyou for the advice
1.gif

heart prong and jennifer, you both say go for SI1, but I would be too concerned about buying an SI1 diamond, especially sight unseen, but I may look for something like a 1.3 G or 1.4 H

thankyouonce again

1.gif

any pics anyone?

btw sorry this is posted twice, I am not having much luck posting pics today, I didn't think it worked the first time

20.gif
sorry

pink sapph silver ring.jpg

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock

Diamondgeezer:

I wear a size 6. I have tried on a 1 carat, 1.5 carat, and 2 carat. My husband thought the 1 carat was perfect. and that the other two were too big. I decided on the 1.5 carat. I'll post pictures when I get it next month! *ugh* the wait is killing me!!!!

Edited to add: I love the first ring that you posted! I think that she will love it as a promise ring! How sweet of you!! beautiful!

I wear a size 6. I have tried on a 1 carat, 1.5 carat, and 2 carat. My husband thought the 1 carat was perfect. and that the other two were too big. I decided on the 1.5 carat. I''ll post pictures when I get it next month! *ugh* the wait is killing me!!!!

thanks for the info, can''t wait to see it, good luck

I love the first ring that you posted! I think that she will love it as a promise ring! How sweet of you!! beautiful!

do you mean the top one with the pink sapphs and diamonds set in the band or the bottom one, with the oval pink sapph in the channel setting? I prefer the bottom one

do you think they will be able to engrave "I''m with you always" on the inside? if they can, what if she has to get it resized?

thanks

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock

I really love the one that has the pink and diamond intertwined. I am not sure that they will be able to engrave all of that because it is, after all a small piece of jewelry.

How about: w/ u always or always . Or you could do "me + U = infinity or foverever"

I also think that when you have it engraved, you could lose the engraving if she needs to resize...But it is a lovely thought!

I love the idea of "

emlove.gif
Always /idealbb/editor/cute/images/emlove.gif" I will do that, thank you

I wouldn''t want them to re-size it though, so I could go with N (6 1/2) or N1/2 (6 3/4) would I be right in thinking that that way it shouldn''t be too loose is she is a 6 or too tight if she is a 7?

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock

You are welcome! I know she''ll love it. Since you have already talked about "size" with her you can ask her to go to a local jewelry store to have her finger measured. Or, if you want to be more sneeky, write a friend of hers and have her go to the local jewelry shop to look around for a gift for *mom* for thanksgiving or something, and then have the friend get her finger size and then have her encourage your gf to get hers sized, then contact the friend and get the *real* size. Between 6 and 7 is a lot, so you want to make sure you get the right size!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/14/2004 9:50
6.gif
1 AM
Author: diamondgeezer
I also asked what style she likes, and she said to me, ''well mostly dainty ones, not big kinds'' but 1.5 is not really big big is it? only about 7.4mm? so I don''t know...

This is just my opinion, but I personally think that 1.5 is HUGE and far from "dainty" (but I have small tastes compared to the rest of this forum
12.gif
). And I don''t think that a 1ct can look "too small" on anybody but a Hollywood A-lister or the royal family! However, I think that the setting you choose could help a 1.5 look dainty-er (2mm Tiffany 4 prong for example). See what she says about the promise ring''s style and size when you give it to her, and you''ll get a really good idea of what direction to go in for the e-ring. What ct wt do you want for the center sapphire? You want heart-shaped, right?

I totally agree with forthelove''s idea of how to get her actual ring size! Practically fool-proof! and I love the (heart) ALWAYS (heart) engraving idea!

Good luck! JCJD

ty JCJD - well, I think ideally it would be a heart-cut pink sapph, yeah, but I will have to see what they can do. I saw this one online, but this actual ring is not detailed anywhere else on the site, so I am going to have a look at the b&m store tomorrow -I think it is white gold
8.gif
but they may be able to do it in silver. now I think this might by too big - BUT I have very classic, understated taste and I don''t think it is gaudy, I like it, I''ll have to see it in the flesh though

pink sapph ring.jpg

as for the e-ring setting, well, I do like the bluenile tapered cathedral setting, but they only do that upto a max size of 1.10 carats, plus their diamonds are not h&a... I am sure I could get a similar one made elsewhere. I don''t know, I guess i am lucky I have plenty of time to think about it

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
I agree that if you ask one of the vendors here to look and see if the stone is eye-clean, they will tell you. Also, my ring size is 6.25 and my ring is about a carat. I think it looks fine, but if my husband could have swung something bigger, I would have liked that! Given your choices, I''d be inclined to go down in clarity and up in size. As for dainty, she might have been talking about the setting. I like the look of a large stone in a thin setting and dislike chunky settings on my hand, but I''d still like a big stone ;-)

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
I think either size would look great. Sizes 6-7 are pretty average finger sizes, so I dont think you''ll have any problems with it either overwhelming her finger or looking too small on her finger. So get whichever looks best to you and whichever fits your budget the best.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that a 1ct is plenty big enough...I''m a size 6 and I actually prefer a 75-85 point diamond. You''d think it''s really not that big a difference, right? Well, somehow it is.
1.gif

Now, if she''s more a size 7, a 1ct may be beautiful on her hand. But unless she''s as diamond crazed as most of us on here, I doubt you need to spring for the 1.5....

....course, once she gets used to the 1ct, she may want to upgrade later...
2.gif

satelite

Rough_Rock
My engagement ring was a "good" cut 2.06ct I SI1 diamond to fit my
6 - 6 1/2 finger. The size never worried me just the sparkle. I could
never ever notice the inclusions but was bugged about the sparkle.
I recently upgraded to a 3.05ct H& A D SI1 stone. Magnificent.
I wear 1 on right hand and the other in the left hand. I cannot see any
inclusions in either stone. I can barely notice colour difference. No one
else has ever ever noticed ciolour difference.
Comments I get are wow wow especially on 3.0ct stone - sure for the
size but most definately for the cut or they think - sparkle.
I would go cut first, size second, third colour,
I love my D but the cut and the size work the best with my bigger fingers.
Good luck with your decision. I''m sure she will love anything you get her

michela002

Shiny_Rock
You might wanna check if by "dainty" she means the diamond or the setting.

I say I like "dainty" rings but I would love a large diamond with a dainty (ie. not big and clunky), fine setting.

But by "dainty" SHE might mean she wants a dainty setting with a small diamond.

I know guys like to make it a surprise, but getting some idea of her choices and tastes is also a good idea. You have some time to subtley get it out of her - or at least get an idea of her tastes while making it clear its not going to happen soon and is just out of "curiosity" then she''ll still be surprised.
1.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/15/2004 4:53:20 AM
Author: michela002
You might wanna check if by ''dainty'' she means the diamond or the setting.

I say I like ''dainty'' rings but I would love a large diamond with a dainty (ie. not big and clunky), fine setting.

But by ''dainty'' SHE might mean she wants a dainty setting with a small diamond.

I know guys like to make it a surprise, but getting some idea of her choices and tastes is also a good idea. You have some time to subtley get it out of her - or at least get an idea of her tastes while making it clear its not going to happen soon and is just out of ''curiosity'' then she''ll still be surprised.
1.gif
I agree with michela... i like dainty rings too, but mean the setting and not the diamond!

thanks for the advice, you are right, 'dainty' could mean the setting... I will see what she thinks of this promise ring I am getting for her and judge from that I think. There is pic in my avatar, it is really beautiful, really dainty, I love it. it is oval pink sapph, 9kt white gold diamond-channel setting. it is a real shame that it is white gold, because she has a reaction to it from time to time, but she says that it is not so bad... I am very torn, obviously I don't want to get her a ring that itches and bothers her from time to time, but it is a beautiful ring. it is very cheap at £150 ($270, that may sound like a lot because of the current exchange rate) they don't do it in platinum or silver, so if I was to get another jeweller to do it, it is going to cost far too much, and I want to save as much as I can for the e-ring. I think I will shop around, see if there is anywhere that does pink sapphires with a silver setting. as for the e-ring I think I will probably find a compromise, maybe 1.3, G... I don't know, but thanks for the advice

oh, forgot to add, sadly, because it is such a thin and dainty ring, it is impossible to engrave

and the ring is sooooooooooo much nicer than the pic suggests

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm. Does anybody here think your definition of "large" size 6 fingers depends on proportion to frame?

For example, I am a small-framed girl with normal-sized hands, ring size 6. I don''t think I have large fingers. In fact, I understand that most hand models wear a size 6.

However, I think my hands look drastically different from my friend, who is admittedly overweight and has puffy little sausage fingers, size 6. (Her words!) I think, if she had my body composition, she''d wear like a size 4 ring, but because of her weight wears a size 6...and a 1ct doesn''t look as impressive on her, as it does on me.

Thoughts?

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/15/2004 1:43:10 PM
Author: goldengirl
Hmm. Does anybody here think your definition of ''large'' size 6 fingers depends on proportion to frame?

For example, I am a small-framed girl with normal-sized hands, ring size 6. I don''t think I have large fingers. In fact, I understand that most hand models wear a size 6.

However, I think my hands look drastically different from my friend, who is admittedly overweight and has puffy little sausage fingers, size 6. (Her words!) I think, if she had my body composition, she''d wear like a size 4 ring, but because of her weight wears a size 6...and a 1ct doesn''t look as impressive on her, as it does on me.

Thoughts?

Hard to say, since I have ''man fingers''. I wear a size 8 (8.5 after flying and traveling). My H2B wears pretty much the same ring size as I do- he has long thin fingers. I have had fingers this big since I was in high school- weighed 100 pounds soaking wet then, and still size 8 ring. Now weigh significantly more and same size ring.

It is so difficult to even find a ring to try on, that I have to hypothesize what a stone will actually look like on my finger. I can usually get a ring to slide to my knuckle, but that is it.

Darn, I guess I will just have to ask for 1.5 or above to be on the safe side.....
28.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
lol @jenwill ... yes, at LEAST the 1.5, to be safe!! Don''t want the sparkle getting lost in your hands, now!!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results