shape
carat
color
clarity

Is 1/3karat t.w diamond earring studs good enough size for 1 yr dating anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jumbo1990

Rough_Rock
This coming March is my girlfriend and I 1 year anniversary for dating. I was planning to get her princess-cut diamond stud earrings. We are in college just so u know our age range. I have been looking at a pair of certified diamond stud earrings 1/3karat total weight 18k white gold for $399. SI2-I1 is clarity and H-I is color. She has never had diamond stud earrings before, her current pair are cubic ziconium stud earrings. Now she is 5''4 and 115lbs, so my questions is would 1/3 karat total weight be a good size for her to start off with?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its fine... My 1 yr anniversary my hubby got me .25 ctw.. but before i found pricescope and was pretty poor quality too, but kept it for sentimental reason... If I were you, I wouldn''t necessary want to spend the premiums on 18k... maybe 14k? white gold... I think its great classic gift. go for it.. but have you researched more fully on other diamond vendors?

jumbo1990

Rough_Rock
Yes, I have. Its one of the things I do when I buy something for my gf. I like to research about it, and diamonds are interesting to learn about. But the place I was planning on buying from is Jared''s Galleria of Jewelry. Im from New York. There are stores like Zales and Kay Jewelers but I dont like those places and the prices arent good for the quality. I mean it is our 1st year anniversary and I already bought her a bracelet and necklace for previous occasions. So I don''t want to be like I''m spoiling her. I actually went in store to compare 1/3 t.w and 1/2 and had the employee try both on. I mean its obvious there is a small size difference but the 1/3 to me looked alright in size.

Whats the difference between 18k and 14k? I read that the lower quality is more for uncertified diamond jewelry. Now I read about the difference between certified and uncertified as well but is it really bad to purchase an uncertified one?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I knew about diamonds until Pricescope, and I wish I had known about pricescope before my first engagement ring,, well growing up I had always worn 24k... straight solid gold.and that was very soft..... my current ring.. is 14k yellow gold.. I also have jewelry pieces of white gold... but 14k and when I was younger 10k.. the lower the "K" the more metal,,, thus harder, less.. pure gold.. unless someone else corrects me.... but that was how I understood it... honestly for diamond earrings... studs, you really could go with 14k.. you''ll find more out there.. and when I was diamond shopping for my 5 year... i almost bought their peerless AGS diamonds.. for almost twice as much as what I paid for mine at Whiteflash.com... I highly recommend them or I''ve talked with both Jamesallen.com and goodoldgold and they all have very quality diamonds.. you should check them out.. maybe a bezel set could make the diamonds appear larger as well? if you''re comfortable with Jareds, then by all means,, go with what you feel comfortable with.. but I ended up buying my 5 yr ring from whiteflash site unseen.. and was very happy with the diamond quality. I bet you''ll get great quality diamonds from online vendors without the premiums of a store front and avoid sales tax...

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
I agree with dannyandterry...You could find something nicer, for less money. Here are the same size earrings you are looking for, in 18K white gold, for $100 less, from Whiteflash...

Whiteflash Earrings

They will be a higher quality diamond than what you see at Jared's, and for $100 less, what's not to like?

jumbo1990

Rough_Rock
New York has sales tax, so I''m stuck on that route =P. But, a good site is bluenile.com, but for the diamond stud earrings same quality and everything it is uncertified for 100 dollars less. Now is it worth a 100 dollars and getting it certified or no?

By the way other opinion from people are welcomed with the original question I asked.

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
That size earring will look fine, to answer your question...I''m a college student, too, and I think studs that size will look very classy, but not not too flashy.

I''m in NY too, I thought that if you bought from outside the state, you didn''t have to pay sales tax if they didn''t have a store in your state? Maybe I''m wrong, though.

jumbo1990

Rough_Rock
I was looking into bluenile.com which is rated the #1 online diamond jewelry store. They said New York is one of 2 states that has sales tax. By the way the reason that Jared's is 399 is because its certified they do have one for 299 but its non-certified and its lower quality. THe fact that a diamond is certified or not...is it a MAIN importance? Because I know bluenile.com is 18k princess cut diamond stud for 285 and the quality is the same as whiteflash.com but its not certified.

By the way, I checked out jamesallen and the prices are really high. Whiteflash has good prices but its like bluenile.

But the thing I'm contemplating is that in Jared's they let you return the earrings later on and they give you full refund and you can upgrade to a higher carat size and only have to pay the difference.

I see on whiteflash.com that they have a .40 one that is between .33 and .50. Never really saw that size before, is it an odd size to buy?

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
It''s not of huge importance, if you buy from a vendor known for quality and honesty.

You should take a look at some of the vendors that people on here recommend.

I know someone who bought earrings like that from Bluenile, and they were unhappy with them and returned them, and ended up finding something much better.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Yes, of course. Gosh, why do people worry about the size of diamonds. You know, they're fully faceted down to 1 point or in other words 1/100 of a ct.

Oh, and your girlfriend is 5' 4'' and 115 lbs, so everything is going to look twice as big on her.

Please do your research on pricescope before buying anything, but don't worry about 1/3 total weight. No, that's just silly.
35.gif
34.gif

Ps, you REALLY should buy from a pricescope vendor and not a mall (I'm not lying).

jumbo1990

Rough_Rock
Shes a fan of princess-cut diamond studs in answer to melanie.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I think the .30 ctw will be a lovely size and totally appropriate.

I would definitely suggest going with whiteflash or bluenile over Jared''s - I think you''ll get better quality.
1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go with Whiteflash, they are better quality and have better customer service than Bluenile. AND they are in TX so you won''t have to pay sales tax. Trust us on this one. Just do a search here for Whiteflash, their quality is wonderful.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 11:27:49 AM
Author: jumbo1990
I was looking into bluenile.com which is rated the #1 online diamond jewelry store. They said New York is one of 2 states that has sales tax. By the way the reason that Jared's is 399 is because its certified they do have one for 299 but its non-certified and its lower quality. THe fact that a diamond is certified or not...is it a MAIN importance? Because I know bluenile.com is 18k princess cut diamond stud for 285 and the quality is the same as whiteflash.com but its not certified.

By the way, I checked out jamesallen and the prices are really high. Whiteflash has good prices but its like bluenile.

But the thing I'm contemplating is that in Jared's they let you return the earrings later on and they give you full refund and you can upgrade to a higher carat size and only have to pay the difference.

I see on whiteflash.com that they have a .40 one that is between .33 and .50. Never really saw that size before, is it an odd size to buy?
Nope, not an odd size - just a bigger one then the .30.
3.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
to answer your first question, yes 1/3 ctw is good to start off with, unless she likes "the bigger the better?" any girl would love diamond anything... especially high quality. she''ll have some nice sparkly on those ears, especially if the cut is excellent or better, not too much into certs unless 1 ct or higher, but guess its good for resale later on.

jumbo1990

Rough_Rock
So you are saying that size is good danny? Please also remember we only been going out for a year, yea its long for our age range but I''m not married to her. But I don''t want to start her off with diamond earrings that are too too small but than again I don''t want it like I''m buying her a wedding gift.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 11:27:49 AM
THe fact that a diamond is certified or not...is it a MAIN importance? Because I know bluenile.com is 18k princess cut diamond stud for 285 and the quality is the same as whiteflash.com but its not certified.

Ok, well, certified by whom? AGS? GIA? EGL (what''s that one?) US, and EGL (?) Israel, or someone else. Just "certified" isn''t enough information.

Please know that whiteflash has a proprietary princess cut diamond called ACA, and I''m not aware of any of their stones not being certified (?).

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the size is good! I think it''s appropriate too. You know, too big would be inappropriate (IMHO).

jumbo1990

Rough_Rock
When it comes to trusting, I trust you guys I'm not the type to be arrogant in an area that I don't know too much about. I researched and learned the basics but its good to talk to people who can relate to and has experienced first hand. I like the prices of whiteflash and I may go with that. But they aren't certified and should that be something should look into when buying diamonds or would certified be recommended for greater carat sizes?

Sorry ImDanny, I was typing this while u answered it already. Unfortunately I dont know what "certified" means. Well, to a extent that is. so all in all whiteflash.com would be the best choice and 1/3carat total weight is a good size.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry to keep going on, the quality of diamond is more important IMO... if it doesn''t sparkle (cut matters) then the biggest rock isn''t worth the premiums.. good luck.
35.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 11:36:19 AM
Author: neatfreak
Go with Whiteflash, they are better quality and have better customer service than Bluenile. AND they are in TX so you won''t have to pay sales tax. Trust us on this one. Just do a search here for Whiteflash, their quality is wonderful.
I''m a fan of whiteflash for RB and princess cut diamonds. I like their ACA line. It is certified by AGS.

My philosophy is quality over quantity. They have lots of choices. Colors down to K. Clarity down to S12.

Get her at least K SI2. Get her something nice!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 11:41:27 AM
When it comes to trusting, I trust you guys I''m not the type to be arrogant in an area that I don''t know too much about. I researched and learned the basics but its good to talk to people who can relate to and has experienced first hand. I like the prices of whiteflash and I may go with that. But they aren''t certified and should that be something should look into when buying diamonds or would certified be recommended for greater carat sizes?

Sorry ImDanny, I was typing this while u answered it already. Unfortunately I dont know what ''certified'' means. Well, to a extent that is. so all in all whiteflash.com would be the best choice and 1/3carat total weight is a good size.

Normally, yes uncertified stones would be a concern. But WF is wonderful and they hand select their stones, so I am sure you''d be getting what you pay for which is really the only reason to need certs in the first place.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
sorry to keep going too, but terry is so right. Un-quality diamonds will look like a dull blob.
32.gif

jumbo1990

Rough_Rock
imdanny, not to be rude but can u direct me to a link to whiteflash of what you are exactly talking about cause I honestly don't know what you just rambled off about the certification of their diamonds.

imdanny, dont worry about it, tried to talk to other people but got arrogant answers and thought I was stupid for spending that much on my girlfriend.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 11:41:27 AM
When it comes to trusting, I trust you guys I''m not the type to be arrogant in an area that I don''t know too much about. I researched and learned the basics but its good to talk to people who can relate to and has experienced first hand. I like the prices of whiteflash and I may go with that. But they aren''t certified and should that be something should look into when buying diamonds or would certified be recommended for greater carat sizes?
Diamonds smaller than .30 don''t usually come with certs - but they are graded, if that makes sense? Like, I know that the diamonds in my band are .01, F-G, VS2. But I don''t have a certificate for each of them.

I''d go with the WF studs. The .30 is a totally appropriate size, and they will be well-cut and sparkly.
4.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 11:45:40 AM
imdanny, not to be rude but can u direct me to a link to whiteflash of what you are exactly talking about cause I honestly don't know what you just rambled off about the certification of their diamonds.

Cut, contrary to popular belief, is not the shape of a diamond, but how well it is cut. A poorly cut diamond will not reflect light back properly and will be pretty ugly. A beautifully cut stone will shine.

The difference between a great stone and a crap stone usually isn't the color and clarity as much as the CUT. And WF's stones are very very well cut, so you can be assured of having little fireballs on your girlfriend's ears.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
neatfreak, are you talking about their Expert Selection? Because I totally agree with you about the trust thing with whiteflash. Exemplary customer service. I would trust them implicitly. (I agree with neatfreak about whiteflash).

neatfreak, I almost called you "neatflash".
9.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 11:45:40 AM
imdanny, not to be rude but can u direct me to a link to whiteflash of what you are exactly talking about cause I honestly don''t know what you just rambled off about the certification of their diamonds.

imdanny, dont worry about it, tried to talk to other people but got arrogant answers and thought I was stupid for spending that much on my girlfriend.
No worries. I''ll go there now and come back with some links for you.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 11:48:43 AM
Author: Imdanny
neatfreak, are you talking about their Expert Selection? Because I totally agree with you about the trust thing with whiteflash. Exemplary customer service. I would trust them implicitly. (I agree with neatfreak about whiteflash).

neatfreak, I almost called you ''neatflash''.
9.gif

Any of their stones. I haven''t really seen a crap stone ever come from WF.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results