shape
carat
color
clarity

Iolite?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There used to be iolite available on a lot of the colored stone websites. Nice pieces of it. I recently wanted to buy a peice for some stacking rings I want to get done by an etsy vendor and... can''t find it anywhere.

Is there some controversy? Do people not like it? What''s up? I just wanted a nice semi precious inexpensive blue/violet stone for a stacker and it''s almost impossible to find.

What am I missing?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Iolite is pretty but not as plentiful as some other colored gemstones. I know you can get it from jtv.com and from thebrazialianconnection.com. I don''t know about the more popular gem sites on PS because my iolite days were long before I discovered PS. Have fun shopping.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a very greyish blue/violet stone typically, and it seems that spinels are fitting the bill for that niche. Spinels have a higher RI and are harder than iolite, and the blue grey ones are affordable; therefore, my feeling is that is the reason iolite isn''t doing so well, but I could be wrong. Iolite in fine color is very nice, but hard to come by. It is very dichroic, and grey along one axis. The cutter must take care to cut it such that the table faces up as blue/violet as possible.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys. There were a couple of pieces Barbara carried when she owned acs that I loved, and kept missing buying by 2 minutes. So when I realized what color I wanted to complete my ring trio, it was the first to come to mind. I''ll see if anything catches my fancy. If not I''ll contact a few places and ask if they have any that''s not listed.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Iolites used to be touted as the next replacement for blue sapphires but the marketing never took off for several reasons:
1. Pleiochroism (tend to be overly dark and/or gray) when viewed at a different angle)
2. Very strong cleavage plane so cutting and setting can be a little nerve wrecking.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy... saw this and thought of your post about the setting that got away... this looks very similar
1.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Diamond-Platinum-Mounting-Engagement-Ring-NR_W0QQitemZ220428511049QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Fine_Jewelry?hash=item3352902749&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A4%7C294%3A30

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/7/2009 10:22:39 PM
Author: Chrono
Iolites used to be touted as the next replacement for blue sapphires but the marketing never took off for several reasons:
1. Pleiochroism (tend to be overly dark and/or gray) when viewed at a different angle)
2. Very strong cleavage plane so cutting and setting can be a little nerve wrecking.
Hi Chrono,
It is true, the marketing never did take off. In addition to what you''ve noted above, it has been stated in the industry that the [inconsistent availability] was the true culprit. When the first pockets from Kenya and Tanzania showed up in the late 80''s, dealers were excited that we could add a new-ish gemstone into our arsenals. And the fact that it sometimes (in its best iteration) rivaled Sapphire or Tanzanite was a real boost. However, the pleochrism and greyish secondary hue really killed it with manufacturers. There were a few firms who tried working Iolite into their lines through the 90''s, but it never really caught on fire as was expected.

As for the cleavage plane, it is rated as ''distinct'', between poor and good on the mineralogists'' scale. So it has the possibility of being problematic, though I seldom heard from stone-setters having difficulty with cleavage (unlike what they would complain of blue Topaz). The inclusions native to Iolite are more likely to create issues with the setters, as they also do with stone cutters.
33.gif

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
All,
The greatest problem with iolite is that it''s not really very pretty as a faceted gem. Its low refractive index results in a lack of brilliance. Its eye appeal doesn''t come close to tanzanite or sapphire.

For a time some less than scrupulous jewelers in my area sold iolite/cordierite to unsuspecting buyers as tanzanite. I could separate the two at a glance due to tanzanite''s much greater brilliance and purity of hue. (That''s not to say I can do the same with some of tanzanite''s synthetic counterparts!)

I think high grade iolite cabochons can be used very effectively in jewelry, and sometimes step cuts can showcase its often-attractive color without pretending to be brilliant. Maybe the greatest marketing difficulty with iolite has been the attempt to make the stone into something it''s not. It''s not sapphire and it''s not tanzanite. It''s iolite and should be appreciated for what it is. But that simple truth may go against human nature.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
when I first started messing with rocks and stones I got taken by the ole' iolite/tanzanite switcharoo
8.gif
now I know better

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually wanted a cab iolite. LOL. I found a pair of them on palagems but I don''t need two, and they were really pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results