shape
carat
color
clarity

Invisibly-set princess cut diamonds - safe to clean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

togal

Shiny_Rock
I am looking at purchasing a diamond band right hand ring -- it has three rows of invisbily-set princess-cut diamonds. My concern is that one of the stones might come loose, then all of the stones could fall out The jeweller tells me that the channel that holds the diamonds (two gold bands top and bottom) is very tight and secure. I would not want to purchase a ring that I can''t clean regularly in my ultrasonic. Does anyone have experience with a ring such as this, or can one of the experts tell me if this is a risky type of ring to purchase.

togal

Shiny_Rock
Here is a picture of the type of ring I''m referring to:

WBCYD1001P.jpg

avlis

Shiny_Rock
i cant answer your question from first hand knowledge, but my instinct would be to say that there is a security issue.
I would suggest using the search funtion over there--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and searching for invisible set threads, i am sure there are a bunch.

good luck!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2007 2:57:37 PM
Author:togal

I am looking at purchasing a diamond band right hand ring -- it has three rows of invisbily-set princess-cut diamonds. My concern is that one of the stones might come loose, then all of the stones could fall out The jeweller tells me that the channel that holds the diamonds (two gold bands top and bottom) is very tight and secure. I would not want to purchase a ring that I can't clean regularly in my ultrasonic. Does anyone have experience with a ring such as this, or can one of the experts tell me if this is a risky type of ring to purchase.

Togal I would ask him to explain this again. 'Invisible' settings are very pretty but typically there is a groove on the girdle of all the diamonds in the center, and a tiny wire is all that's holding them in the setting.If you put pressure on the diamonds or strike them too hard that wire will bend or loosen. Over time it can allow a diamond to fall out and once you’ve lost one they will all come out.

If you own a setting like this and need to clean it we suggest you do so carefully with soapy water and a soft brush.Don’t apply too much pressure. If you put this kind of a setting in an ultrasonic cleaner too often the diamonds can work loose.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
You know, I just use mild soapy water and an old soft toothbrush once in a while and in between, just use mild soapy water and my diamonds always come out looking wonderful.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d use the ammonia based stuff in a red jar and a very soft toothbrush instead of an ultrasonic.

togal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your replies.

What are your opinions on this ring? I would have it made up in 18K YG.

I am assuming that with the baguettes and only the two rows of princess diamonds in this ring, that this would be a lot more secure in the setting than the other ring with the three rows of princess. What do you guys think? I will await your opinions on this before I go ahead with it.

large_Tsv7OLmsJTZh1uHiEwe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results